Becoming a Taiwan citizen so you can work/live in China visa free on an open work permit

I said this because someone talk about the whims of the ccp.

This won’t change because china considers Taiwan domestic.

TW makes it legal and recognizes dual citizenships so just need to work through their system based on your citizenship

• If your country doesn’t recognize TW as a country (i.e. Japan), you apply to Japan for renunciation, they will reject, and you give the rejection proof to TW and they will give you TW citizenship
  • Re-acquire your citizenship right after like OP
  • Go through one of the other methods such as investment, hiring locals. While more difficult, it’s based on numbers and not a blackbox.
  • Get qualified as a high level professional. This one is more difficult since it’s a black box, but still many documented cases of success.

For China it’s different since their law states only Chinese nationality is recognized. So any exemption has to come from a high level and it’s a black box.

If you’re in a situation where you have assets in China and the US, with dual Chinese/US nationalities, would you risk having China find out you have a US passport? They may make you choose one or the other. That’s the risk of entering China with a permit as someone who holds a foreign non-Chinese/non-TW citizenship. They will look the other way for Taiwan nationality.

Personally as a Canadian passport holder I’d only use the permit to travel around in China. If I work there, I’d wire the money back to my home country.

Oh. Well it was confusing because you were replying to me, and I said nothing about the whims of the CCP.

I said not counting special circumstances. China also has special circumstances where you may obtain Chinese citizenship without giving up your original.

You can do this after obtaining PRC citizenship too.

While the PRC doesn’t explicitly state this as a way to obtain dual citizen in their Nationality Law, there are instances where famous people were given Chinese citizenship without renouncing their original citizenship. It’s a case-by-case basis like Taiwan.

No. If you live in China as a dual citizen, they will only recognize your Chinese citizenship. They don’t (and cannot) make you renounce your other one. They also don’t cancel your Chinese citizen unless you were originally a Chinese citizen, and have permanently settled abroad and acquired a second one.

These aren’t special circumstances. They are clear requirements. For example you invest 1 million and you get dual citizenship. China does not have such requirements. China law does not permit dual citizenship whereas Taiwanese law permits it.

Article 9 of the Chinese Nationality law (Nationality Law of the People's Republic of China -- china.org.cn) states:

“Any Chinese national who has settled abroad and who has been naturalized as a foreign national or has acquired foreign nationality of his own free will shall automatically lose Chinese nationality.”

You could acquire dual Singapore/US citizenship too by the same logic and risk not getting caught

They can make you choose, place exit bans if you are in China, take away social rights, or take away your Chinese nationality if you’re not in China.

This article only applies to a Chinese national who has settled abroad and acquired a second citizenship. Aren’t we talking about a dual citizen living in China?

The second part says:

“or has acquired foreign nationality of his own free will shall automatically lose Chinese nationality.”

1 Like

this is on someone “who has settled abroad” AND “has been naturalized as a foreign national OR has acquired foreign nationality of his own free will”

if you are “not settled abroad” AND “have been naturalized as a foreign national OR have acquired foreign nationality of your own free will”, your prc nationality is not automatically canceled.

2 Likes

I’ve been doing this for over 2 decades with no real issues except that I am a white dude standing in the PRC citizen queue at airports. I managed a China office for an overseas company but was paid in HK. I have made posts about in this forum before.

3 Likes

You mentioned you also worked for the Australian government before, was that in China? Did you have your Chinese nationality by then? When I worked for a diplomatic mission in China, they had a rule where Taiwanese couldn’t work there as locally employed staff, I think it was a government rule. It annoyed many people cos some of us had Taiwanese spouses who were looking for part time jobs, like visa writers.

So does this mean I can move back to China before I have my US naturalization ceremony, fly back to the US to pick up the certificate and citizenship, fly back to China to settle? Since at the time of naturalization I wasn’t settled abroad.

I was an Australian working in Brunei at AHC there. A based not local staff. It was before I moved to Taiwan. I was working for Dept Foreign Affairs and Trade 1983 - 1988 my posting to Brunei 1986 - 1988

4 Likes

Yeah that was my impression too. It seems strange that they would just revoke your nationality if you’re living in China. Wouldn’t that mean they’d have to deport you?

can you naturalize to get your US citizenship without settling in US on a green card?

It depends on meaning of settled, since as green card holder you’re allowed to leave the US as long as it’s not for a long period of time. I have friends who moved back to their home countries for ~2-3 years while on a GC but they’d visit the US once a year to keep the GC.

Also the naturalization process and waiting for the ceremony takes a while, so you can move back to your home country after you get the naturalization date.

if you have a gc, they recognize you have been settled in US. if your child is born in the US, they don’t get prc nationality. no matter how long you have lived in US, if you don’t have a gc, you are not settled there.

So if I acquire a foreign citizenship without going through the permanent residency process then I’m good and can maintain dual Chinese citizenship?

I can buy one of those Caribbean island citizenships like donate to St kitts for 250k? And this path is open to any Chinese citizen?

I heard somewhere that you could buy properties in Spain for 250,000 euros and get Spanish citizenship. No idea how true.

Except they can because foreigners who live in Hong Kong for 7 years can and do naturalise. Have a look at the thread on Geoexpat: https://geoexpat.com/forum/54/thread256190.html

Not necessarily. They should, but there are plenty of scenarios like what Jimbob described where they haven’t had their Chinese citizenship formally cancelled. In those cases and there are plenty of them, they are able to get the permit.

Yeah there’s two types of HK PR. One for Chinese nationals and one for foreigners.

A foreigner can naturalize as a Chinese citizen through HK PR but needs to renounce his other citizenships. They then become a Chinese citizen with a HK PR.

Or they can stay on the foreigner HK PR but they don’t have right to HK passport or right to the mainland travel permit.

"
Article 8

Any person who applies for naturalisation as a Chinese national shall acquire Chinese nationality upon approval of his application; a person whose application for naturalisation as a Chinese national has been approved shall not retain foreign nationality.
"

Personally I’m Chinese born, have foreign citizenships and HKID and I’m looking at renouncing my Chinese citizenship formally through the HK process. The reason is that HK PR for foreigners in my opinion is good enough and you have the right to live/work/retire in HK for life. And I want my home country’s embassy assistance if I get in trouble while in HK, which a Chinese HK PR would not get.

Although the Chinese nationality law says I automatically renounced Chinese citizenship, in practice unless you go through a formal process (which is only available via HK and maybe Macau), they don’t recognize the renunciation. Which is my current situation in HK, since my HKID says I’m of Chinese nationality even though I should have automatically renounced.

What happens if I obtain a dual TW citizenship and then formally renounce Chinese nationality in HK, then obtain a TaiBaoZheng? Probably the same grey area as a foreigner who acquires dual TW citizenship and enters China on a TaiBaoZheng.

1 Like