Becoming a Taiwan citizen will require testing in the future

In the future, you will need to take a test in addition to the other requirements for becoming a Taiwan citizen.

Big news, everyone. I got a call yesterday from the Household Registry (HR) Office and I’ve been invited to a meeting on December 12th in GaoXiong. The topic is: “proposed requirements for the future test that anyone needs to take to become a Taiwan citizen.” I became a Taiwan citizen and didn’t need to take any kind of test. In the future (don’t know when yet) you will need to take a test as one part of the whole process of becoming a full citizen. I don’t work in the HR office, but they wanted to invite me because I’ve become a citizen on my own.

The first part of the session will be a “class” to familiarize everyone who works in HR Offices how the new process will (or perhaps “might”) work. Later the attendees can give comments or suggestions about this process.

Give me your thoughts regarding this. If I can forward on anything useful to anyone, that might help you. The problem is, once I know the details, we’ll immediately go into the next part and I won’t have time to post exactly what they said and then wait for your responses.

I do not disagree with having a test to become a citizen of Taiwan. If the test turns out to be ridiculous, then I disagree with that. If the test entails basic Chinese-language ability (for example) to look at an address and find it, I think that’s perfunctory. A few basic geography questions might be nice (check-mark NanTou on the map). If it has slanted history questions about Chiang Kai-Shek, or something like that, I might balk at that. Questions about how to take care of business at the Post office might be necessary, along with what numbers to call for police, fire, or other emergency help.

I am still waiting to see how they have guaged this test and to whom it will be aimed at. I was originally of the thinking that “if you can do all the paperwork to become a citizen, that IS the test.” That’s a biased opinion, because I did all of the paperwork myself and it was NOT easy. Many imported brides become citizens because the family (or someone) does all the paperwork for them. In that situation, it’s a bit sad to make someone a citizen of a country they know nothing about without at least giving them at least the basic knowledge of how to get around and do things. This might force the families to teach the bride a few things.

So far, my guess is that the people who have come from other countries and want Taiwan citizenship after working here for at least 5 years will laugh at this test as being “too easy”. That’s if it’s geared toward the imported bride crowd. If it’s hard for workers (businesspeople, teachers, etc.) it could possibly be aimed at lowering the numbers of imported brides (meaning the test would be nearly impossible for them). Think about it, “we” (mostly workers who are interested in becoming citizens) are far outnumbered by imported brides. This is starting to seem like a sociological issue and not merely a legal one. In addition, if the test is hard, it could be construed as being restrictive for imported brides and/or certain other people who would like to become citizens.

Please voice all of your opinions here about “testing for Taiwanese citizenship”. I will be involved and want to hear your opinions. If everyone here can additively rough out a test, I will include these issues in the discussion.

Disclaimer:
I love Taiwan and I am not against anyone of any background becoming a Taiwanese citizen. When I mention “imported brides”, I am not at all condescending toward these people. They should have an equally fair shot at being Taiwanese as I have had. In some cases, they are not given basic education and become illiterate “slaves” of a kind. If testing can resolve this issue then I support it. I have no intention of “filtering” Taiwan immigrants.

Hope to hear your comments,

coolingtower

For my part they can test all they want … becoming a citizen is not my goal in life … but they should test all Taiwanese too, knowledge of the laws to begin with …

Erm… you’re a bit late. The questions have already been published. My favourite is: “At what age can you legally raise a pet in Taiwan?”
And I’m not kidding, either! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Related to belgian pie’s comment, the test should be such that a native ROC citizen would be able to pass it easily. If it is any harder than that, it’s just a way to make it too difficult for most immigrants to get citizenship. That should be a basic requirement for any such test. And I don’t think most native citizens have any idea how old they need to be to raise a pet. I have no problem with requiring basic local language skills and knowing enough to be able to deal with everyday activities though.

[quote=“sandman”]Erm… you’re a bit late. The questions have already been published. My favourite is: “At what age can you legally raise a pet in Taiwan?”
And I’m not kidding, either! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:[/quote]

I see an entirely new buxiban industry springing up overnight.

Sandman,

Can’t find the questions. Where are they?

I went to the meeting today in GaoXiong about the test for becoming a citizen of Taiwan. I learned a lot. At the same time, they never listed the questions or provided the questions. That was stupid. They printed a lot of booklets for people to use to prepare for the test, but they were all sent out to the Household Registry Offices (HROs). There were only a handful of these booklets floating around and I asked for one and they were all gone. Go to a HRO to get one, I guess.

The meeting discussed:
-How the test is implemented and how it figures into a citizenship applicant’s process.
-How to use the HRO computer system to file the results. (Useless to me)
-Demonstration of how to implement the test.
-Question/answer time.

The questions were compiled from every City and Hsien government’s workers. Some were apparently very local: “Which group of natives has the highest population?”, etc. They boiled it down to a pool of 200 questions. The HRO computer system will randomly pick 20 of those questions to be answered in 30 minutes. Test takers have the option of taking the test verbally or writing down their answers in Chinese.

You get 5 points for each question–maximum 100 points. The written test is either right or wrong, per question. The verbal test is 5 points for a fluent response, 3 points for a barely understanding response and then zero for the others. 70% is passing for most foreigners and 50% is passing for people 65 or older. There is also a group where 60% is passing and that involved some kind of testing and was very complicated. Ask me if you want the details for that.

Anyone holding an ARC can take the test at any time, and at any HRO. You don’t have to take the test at the HRO associated with your residence listed on your ARC. It costs $500 and once you pass–your document is good for life. If you plan to renounce your original citizenship and become Taiwanese, you need the “preparing for Taiwan nationalization” document. Getting this thing is the hardest step in becoming Taiwanese. All documents and pictures need to be within 90 days old. You can pass the language test months or years before you become a citizen and that document is still valid.

I was particularly moved that they avoided using the term “guo yu” or “national language” to mean “Chinese.” They said that everybody in Taiwan’s language is our “national language”–which includes Taiwanese, Hakka, and all aboriginal languages. They call Chinese “Hua Yu” instead. If you choose an oral test, you have the option of taking the test in “Hua Yu”, Taiwanese, Hakka, or any of the 12 aboriginal languages. Normally, you will ask for the test and they give you the preparation book and arrange a time a week or so later–to give you time to prepare. That way, if you were to want an aboriginal language, Hakka, etc. they can arrange a speaker of that language to administer the test. In the course of the meeting, they “seemed” to refer to speakers of “Hua Yu” (Chinese), Hakka, and aboriginal languages as equal thirds of the speaking population–instead of some being minorities, which some are. I was very impressed.

Another thing that impressed me was the fact that this meeting was only for the south, and there were over 200 people there. The previous day, there were meetings for the center and north of Taiwan. Probably a total of over 1000 people were involved in just these meetings. The conference rooms weren’t cheap, printing the materials (of which I have a copy) wasn’t cheap, etc. Imported brides and a few foreigners here and there are not going to make a great difference to Taiwan’s economy. Many man-hours were spent on developing this test, creating software to implement it, and teaching the HROffice workers how to administer the test. Why? To guarantee a basic quality of life for imported brides, I assume. They can get citizenship in 3 years, whereas workers need to wait 5 years. I think most of the “English teacher” or “engineer” crowds have learned the language enough to pass the test by the time they want to become citizens. It’s nice to think that the government is spending money to simply make sure life is good for certain people and not simply to make the economy better.

You might argue that they’re “just following the Canada or US example” or “trying to appear to be a country that values human rights.” That’s fine. I have heard of many imported brides running away or going home because they felt out of place living here. If this makes the families teach the brides some language instead of making her a baby-carying slave, I think that’s good.

The test really sounds easier and less-scary than I had imagined. I bet most of my foreign friends could pass it.

Just as a reference…from what I last heard about the US immigration test questions, most native-born Americans wouldn’t be able to pass…

It is good to see some KMT legislators complain about the new immigration law. :bravo: :bravo: Legislators and civic groups led by KMT legislator Shyu Jong-shyoung complained about the difficulty of the immigration test and about deportations after being divorced. Some comments from the meeting:

"the DPP version of the immigration law only focuses on the enforcement mechanisms, which implies that foreign spouses and laborers are troublemakers."

“They [the new immigrants] are just like us. Their human rights should be respected, just like ours.”

:unamused: I really don’t know why foreigners support the DPP. While I generally support their foreign policy, their domestic policies and 90 percent of their grassroots people are bigoted racists who hate foreigners.

[quote=“sandman”]Erm… you’re a bit late. The questions have already been published. My favourite is: “At what age can you legally raise a pet in Taiwan?”
And I’m not kidding, either! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:[/quote]

And the next question should be “At what age can you legally dump a pet in Taiwan?” And “What areas are good for dumping them?” :smiley:

[quote=“answerer”]Just as a reference…from what I last heard about the US immigration test questions, most native-born Americans wouldn’t be able to pass…[/quote]answerer -
Judge for your self:

800citizen.com/sampleQuestion.htm

or:

cltr.co.douglas.nv.us/Elections/ … onTest.htm

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]Judge for your self:

800citizen.com/sampleQuestion.htm[/quote]

Be sure to click through to the second page where the questions get harder. From elsewhere I see that the immigration officer will ask a random 10 questions from the list and the pass rate is 7 or 8 right (hard to confirm which one is correct). I can imagine there are some US citizens who would fail such a test, but it doesn’t look terribly hard to me. I’m sure anyone who spent a few hours drilling on the questions would be able to pass easily.

Of course, the same could be said of the Taiwan test if the full list of questions and answers gets published. If anyone has that list, post a pointer and we should be able to throw together a web based version to drill on.

:help: which is the diference between Taiwan citizenship and chinese citizenship ?in my country anyone needs to take to become a porteno citizen ? :unamused:

YES i think the tests if any should only be geared towards life in Taiwan. And not political. And the thing is no one should be excluded from citizenship if they FAILED. INstead all those who fail qualify for FREE SCHOOLING. And that should be the only reason for the test to indentify who could benefit from schooling. :slight_smile: