Beer Alert & Directory IV

Carrefoure…Wellcome…geez…pretty much anywhere…what exactly are you looking for? I saw Milwaukee’s Best the other day…barforama but hey, it’s there.

7-11 has their usual yearly harvest autumn beer from Suntory and Kirin again (limited supply), decent 6% alc. beers, hoppy, good taste … much better than all the canned crap they offer in Taiwan (well known brand name pee) … except some Japanese beers. At 65NT$/can it’s not cheap tho.

[quote=“southpawgtr”]I walked into a 7-11 a few weeks ago in Xinzhu (where I live) and saw a 6 pack of Sam Adams, and placed it on the counter with urgency. I’ve yet to make another lucky find as that. Does anyone know where a larger variety of tasteful beers can be found, outside of a bar? I know where to get Erdinger, but I’m generally not interested in any of the other common items.

Thanks and saludos,

KP[/quote]

Jasons Supermarket, City Super, Breeze Super.

Fyi, we deliver free of charge island wide based on a minimum order of just two cases. Below this the freight is shared.

gowestenterprise.com

Beerlao/ Beer Lao now available?! Apparently in the fridge at the Main Station Mitsukoshi, and who knows where else (but I didn’t see it in City Super yesterday).

I used to think Beerlao was one of the best of the East/ Southeast Asian beers (definitely better than Tiger, or San Miguel, or Singha, and somewhat better than Bintang, if I’m remembering the big Indonesian label correctly), but I haven’t had it in years - I look forward to reassessing it.

Learned about here:
michaelturton.blogspot.com/2011/ … -pike.html

As of today there are 1,132 Unique Belgian beers … and counting

The beer with the highest alcohol content in Belgium, commercially available …

Black Damnation V: Double Black (26.0% ABV): aged Black Albert (Cuvée Delphine) of which the contents have been concentrated through the Eisbock process, effectively making it one of the strongest beers in the world. :discodance: :thumbsup:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Struise_Brouwers

beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/15237/56776

[quote=“Belgian Pie”]The beer with the highest alcohol content in Belgium, commercially available …

Black Damnation V: Double Black (26.0% ABV): aged Black Albert (Cuvée Delphine) of which the contents have been concentrated through the Eisbock process, effectively making it one of the strongest beers in the world. :discodance: :thumbsup:[/quote]

These are stronger:

Name - ABV - style

1 Schorschbräu Schorschbock 57% Eisbock
2 BrewDog The End Of History 55% Belgian Strong Ale
3 Schorschbräu Schorschbock 43% Eisbock
4 BrewDog Sink the Bismarck 41% Imperial/Double IPA
5 Schorschbräu Schorschbock 40% Eisbock
6 Struise Black Damnation VI - Messy 39% Imperial Stout
7 BrewDog Tactical Nuclear Penguin 32% Imperial Stout
8 Triple Voodoo Thermonuclear 32% Imperial Stout
9 Mikkeller (Heavy Black) 31.1% Imperial Stout
10 Schorschbräu Schorschbock Black Edition 31% Eisbock
11 Schorschbräu Schorschbock 31% Eisbock
12 BrewDog Ghost Deer 28% Belgian Strong Ale
13 Südstern XXL 27.6% Eisbock
14 Samuel Adams Utopias 27% Barley Wine

Had some of those Brew Dog beers during my recent trip to Scotland. Punk IPA and 5am Saint amber ale. Fine, fine beers.

Was in an eatery tonight and there in the cooler, next to the Gold Medals and Heinekens, was a single bottle of Lindemans Framboise. They wanted $80 for it. Done.
Like finding a box of chocolate truffles on a desert island.

Couldn’t get ripped to the t*ts on them, drink is just too fruity (a belgian raspberry beer). Also perhaps literally couldn’t, as it’s only 2.5%.
But one cold one, out of the blue? Hit the spot.

Hey guys, does anyone know anywhere to get either Fuller’s London Porter or Rochefort Trappistes 10 cheaper than City Super (wholesale by the case would be cool, too)? They are both 165 at City Super; I can’t help but think they could be found cheaper elsewhere, but not sure where to go. Thanks!

Try Go West in Taichung. I don’t see Fuller’s on their menu but they do have a selection of other delicious beers and cider … oh cider :lick:

gowestenterprise.com/site/index.php

My emotions gave in when seeing not less than 8 Belgian Beers on the shelf in the Carrefour here in Linkou.
In Linkou for god sake ! :thumbsup:
We’re heading the right way at least

[quote=“deceasedtrainspotter”]Try Go West in Taichung. I don’t see Fuller’s on their menu but they do have a selection of other delicious beers and cider … oh cider :lick:

gowestenterprise.com/site/index.php[/quote]

Hi,

We don’t stock any Fuller’s beer as we import exclusively the range of Greene King / Belhaven brands which in my opinion generally have a superior taste to their fullers counterparts.
Regarding the porter which was requested, We import Belhaven Scottish Stout @ ABV 7%. This is a platinum award winning triple malt stout with a roasted chocolate flavour. Give it a shot, I’m sure you won;t be disappointed.

As Xmas is approaching if anybody is interested then pls contact us for our Xmas promotion.

Cheers for now.

Gowest, would you mind posting info on your Christmas deal here?

Christmas Beer Pack delivered to your door free of charge. Offer ends Dec 31st 2011.

2 x Hen’s Tooth Bottle Conditioned Strong Ale (nearest thing to real ale in a bottle)
2 x Belhaven Twisted Thistle IPA
2 x Belhaven Scottish Stout
2 x Vintage Ale
2 x Old Speckled Hen Pale Ale
2 x Abbot Ale (Amber Ale)

All the above bottles are 500ml. NTD1,450 inc 2 x branded beer glasses and delivered to your door free of charge. For enquiries call 04 2451 4520 or email sales@gowestenterprise.com

Merry Christmas.

Cheers.

Greene King beers are mass-produced, bland and boring compared to Fullers. No contest.

ANCHOR’S 2011 CHRISTMAS ALE
Anchor Brewing Brews its 37th Annual Christmas Ale
Every year since 1975, the brewers of Anchor Steam Beer have brewed a distinctive and uniqure Christmas Ale, which is available from early November to mid-January. The Ale’s recipe is different every year – as is the tree on the label – but the intent with which we offer it remainds the same: joy and celebration of the newness of life. Since ancient times, trees have symbolized the winter solstice when the earth, with its seasons, appears born anew. Our tree for 2011 is the bristlecone pine. Found high atop California’s White Mountains, bristlecones are among the oldest living things on the planet. Some date back nearly 5,000 years, to the dawn of the ancient art of brewing.

This year’s ale is dark, malty, full-bodied, with hints of Christmas spices (clove & cinnamon?). 5.5% abv. Very special!

For the first time ever, Anchor Brewing’s Christmas Ale will be available in Taiwan. Price is NT$2400 per case of 24 x 12 oz bottles. Less than 50 cases are available. Please contact
Jim Boyle at:

Cell: 0935-150015 Fax: 02-28771182
e-mail: boyle.tw@msa.hinet.net

Thank you for your comments. Everyone’s fully entitled to their own opinion which is very subjective, naturally.
Many drinkers would agree with you and certainly many more would disagree, too.

Mega lager beer brands are generally mass produced, Greene king’s range of craft ales which collectively inc many brands, also include smaller craft brewers like Belhaven brewery in Scotland is certainly not mass produced although demand is increasing for premium quality select ales and as a result so is production, but still produced in very limited amounts in comparison to the likes of the big lager brands.

Bland and boring you say? This to me smells of a distinct lack of ale drinking experience and possibly a territorial statement, although I respect your opinion.

I was the 1st importer of Fullers in Taiwan and certainly due to it being from London did very well commercially at first, however there were very few reports that Fullers was superior to Greene King / Belhaven contest wise.

Cheers for now.

I recently had the occasion to sample some more of GoWest’s products. For Christmas I had me some Belhaven Stout, and some Hen’s Tooth Ale.
The Stout was truly fine: loverly texture, a nice finishing flavour, and held it’s elements to the end of the glass.
The Ale was magnificent. Fine flavour, excellent body, chock full of vitamins, and an exemplary embodiment of what an ale should be.

I would like to thank the chaps at GoWest for coming through rather well on a bit of a deadline order logistically. My order was handled well, delivered quite on time, and all in all, served up in a thoughful and efficient manner. It was also nice getting some nice pint glasses as part of that Christmas special. :thumbsup:

Some of my more urban dwelling fine beer fellow travellers might well be able to take advantage of some of their products at places like Jason’s:
gowestenterprise.com/points-of-sale.html

Others, such as meself , shall seek of their service, and order in some cases to our homes.
Chinese New Year is early this year, might as well stock up on some very good beer indeed. For I have a few friends that would surely love something real bottlish.
:lick:

It’s not an alert … but hey, right now I’m drinking this wonderful 8 year old (2004) Gouden Carolus, Cuvee of the Emperor Belgian beer … at room temperature, it’s better than a great wine, way better than a Guinness … just heavenly. :discodance:

Happy New Year! :bow:

To GoWest, thanks a lot for the offer. I picked up a bottle of that Scottish Stout this past weekend. Not my thing, personally (Nice body, gentle, creamy mouthfeel, and not a bad beer, but waaaaaay overdone on the smokeyness for my taste), but it is always nice to have extra options here in TW.

For me, the Fullers porter just has the “it” factor that makes me think that they couldn’t have done the style any better (as does the Rochefort 10), which is why I am willing to pay the 150 NT it costs (but it would have been cool to have found it cheaper). I honestly wouldn’t have expected it from Fullers, which generally strikes me as bland and uninspired (although admittedly I am a pretty typical American hop head in general, which makes most British ales not my thing). I just noticed their “Past Masters Double Stout” at the same place I buy the porter, so I picked up a bottle. I haven’t tried it yet, but I am hoping it can hold a candle to the porter.

On an off topic, I read on a very ooooooooooooold post (I think it was one of the first Forumosa beer directories) that Jasons had Old Rasputin several years ago. Has anyone seen it recently? If so, where and how much? That is a very nice Imperial stout, and it would be great to be able to get it.

Finally, just want to give a thanks to Jim Boyle. I have ordered two cases of Anchor from him and look forward to doing more business in the future. Great products, and very nice guy. Thanks a lot!