Beer Alert & Directory IV

No Haha !! But I do live in Taichung :slightly_smiling_face:

beers

Some new (?) Taiwanese beers from a ā€œBrewseumā€, last week in Carrefour Neihu. Discounted from over 100 to I think around 75. Still lots for 0.33, so I was wondering how they are.

First three that I tried:

Kenting Hoppy Lager: Probably OK taste, but absolutely undrinkable from the can. So extreme carbonation that you basically only drink foam.

South Gate Schwarzbier: Again super strong carbonation, so I tried pouring it into a glass. Lo and behold, itā€™s a good German style black beer, quite alike to the famous Kƶstritzer. Unfortunately, after a minute or so there was virtually no carbonation left, leaving the rest stale.

Lou Shan Fen Doppelbock: Finally a beer drinkable from the can. A bit smokey but unmistakably Doppelbock taste. Good! My only complaint is again carbonation: Rather weak from the very beginning, getting almost stale after a few minutes in the can. Still drinkable, but could be much better.

Mt. Dajian Belgian Tripel: TBD

Sequalu Saison: TBD

So far I would say absolutely not worth the money, but nice cans for the collection. They have a few more styles, for example some British ones, but I guess Iā€™ll pass on these.

2 Likes

Tried that one now. Again, drinkable from the can, and wow - this one finally held sufficient carbonation to the last sip. The taste was very good actually, very alike to the Belgianā€™s very own Tripels. Best one so far.

Butā€¦ why not just get the cheaper Belgian originals, since they are so readily available in Taiwan?

The little green cans of 18 day old Taiwan beer are good.

1 Like

Currently at Jasonā€™s

Not overpowering or sweet. Just the right hint of citrus.

Anyone know if thereā€™s any pumpkin beers out there? Itā€™s the one month of the year itā€™s acceptable to drink.

3 Likes

Redpoint has Das Pumpkin. Not bad at all.

Just a brief heads-up: the ShiLin branch of Carrefour is doing a stock clearance of a brand called ā€œMacā€™sā€ at NT$38/bottle, which appears to be from NZ. I bought a bottle of their ā€œGold all malt lagerā€ and itā€™s not a bad brew: bland and drinkable, as lagers generally are IMO. They also had (I think) an IPA and something else lager-ish. Nothing special, but well worth NT$38 if you happen to be passing by.

1 Like

Got mah pumpkin beer. It looks like a crap Japanese noveltyā€¦ not exactly a seasonal New England craft brew. But Iā€™ll keep an open mind and report back if itā€™s any good.

Never mind. Itā€™s terrible. I regret buying 2.

Pumpkin beer is evidently really hard to do well. Iā€™ve had lots of crappy pumpkin beers, never a really good one.

just buy pumpkin spice and sprinkle on top of your normal beerā€™s foam. probably does the same trick

It took you a half hour to drink?

Iā€™m at home doing chores at the same time, so I kind of milk it. And I wasnā€™t exactly excited to finish this one after the first sip.

Thereā€™s some good ones in the US, especially in New England. Iā€™m not saying I could drink it year round, but Iā€™ve definitely had some great pumpkin brews.

1 Like

I got a bad cold a couple weeks ago. I lost some weight that I didnā€™t want to lose. Iā€™m back to beer drinking to gain it back. Iā€™ve been drinking scotch and bourbon lately for the low carbs (actually zero carbs with these). Itā€™s nice to get a belly full of suds again! Just thought I would report that.

Oh yeah! Scotch and bourbon, all the way! Iā€™m glad that Iā€™m not the only one enthusiastic about those two great beverages.

Or just piss in your beer.
Itā€™s free, too.:+1:

I like it all! But I made the switch 100% lately for weight loss. It worked. But with that cold, I dipped a little more than I wanted. Actually, I couple of glasses of scotch or bourbon followed by a beer or two (in that order) is something I like as well! (Okay, cue the Thoroughgood song.)

1 Like

Even better.

1 Like