Beer Alert & Directory

Hey Lump where can you get hoegaarden beer in taipei??

If you can get it, it is imported by the Belgian beer guy, Geert, in Kaohsiung.

PM me and I’ll send you his contact info tomorrow.

Better than Hoegaarden, IMO, is Celis White, brewed by Pierre Celis, the guy that started Hoegaarden. But, alas, he sold his brewery to Miller, who has stopped brewing the wonderful stuff.

Last I heard, Celis was back in Belgium brewing another new batch of beers, again, independently.

I’ll have to check that out. I don’t know much about Austrian beers… but I do like many strong beers. But I also like session beers, such as bitters, quite alot.

Funny, but the last true Austrian red beer is Negra Modela, brewed in Mexico by the same folks who brew that horrible girly Corona stuff. Negra Modela has been brewed using basically the same recipe that the Spaniards took there (from the Austrians) some 500 years ago. Its a very good beer, and I’d recommend it to anyone who sees it when back home, where ever that may be.

Unusual aside:

The only time I ever saw or tasted Negra was in Kenting, of all places. It was during the very first Spring Scream, and the convenience store next door to the scream venue was selling it (briefly!). We found it, bought the three or four cases they had left, and had a ball! Heaven knows where the shop got it from. That’s the only time I’ve ever seen it.

Here is Geert’s email address and December and January’s delivery schedule. Phone number is below:

pal@ksts.seed.net.tw

From a recent email:

Special this year is our selection of 5 Christmas beers: Delirium Noel
75 cl, Regal Christmas, St-Feuillin Noel, Bush de Noel and especially
Liefmans Gluhkriek 250 cc and 750 cc. This last beer, like German
Gluhwine, is warmed up to about 70 degrees C and drunk warm. Sounds
strange I know but everybody that tries it is pleasantly surprised.

We also offer a nice selection of beer giftboxes: Delirium Tremens 4
beers + a glass, 2 St-Sebastiaan + 1 glass, Duvel 4 beers + 2 glasses, 7
differnt Trappists in one giftbox, Kwak giftbox 4 beer + 1 kwak glass.

To round things off here the delivery schedule for the next couple of
weeks.
Wednesday December 18th, 2002
Monday December 23th, 2002 (order have to be in by Saterday as I can not
be reach Sunday morning)
Closed between Christmas and New Year.
Friday January 3rd, 2003
Friday Janaury 10th, 2003
Monday January 20th, 2003
Not in country from Jan. 21th until February 4th, 2003
Friday February 7th, 2003
And after that back to normal every Wednesday.

If we do not meet up before I would like to exten my heartfelt thanks
for your support over the passed year and wish you all a peaceful and
Merry Christmas and a Joyful and Happy New Year.

Beer greetings,

Geert Anthonis
The Belgian Beer Guy
Tel: 07/587.63.30 or 0922/260.361
Fax: 07/587.63.31

Great thread, thanks!

Negra Modela is by far my favorite beer. I drink nothing else when I am home. I’m ready to go to Kending this weekend. :slight_smile:

Tigerman, you are a more saintly man than I. I’ve been enjoying the imported beers available at Breeze since I moved to a nearby place in September, and I never reported it.

I have to say that I do enjoy a good Budweiser, not really for the taste, but because it makes me feel like a good American. When I want to remember my Irish ancestors, or just want a nice stout, I drink Guiness.

Cheers!

T.

Don’t forget – this was the FIRST Spring Scream, in 199? I’ve never seen it since and I’m pretty sure the shop isn’t even there anymore.

Wow! I’m suprised at how many people know of this fine beer.

Well, my motives are not entirely unselfish. The more people that buy the good beer when it is introduced to the Taiwan market, the more other beers will be interested in coming in too. That would be great, for me and for everyone else too.

I love Guinness… In Asia, I love it best at the Dublin Jack on Hong Kong island… Mmmm! But Anheuser-Busch makes me :imp: As an American, I’m embarrassed that this company calls the USA its home :blush:

Guinness. Two "n"s.

Is there someone else out there who imports beer? I know of quite of few people who’d love some VB, but like I’ve spammed plenty of times before, it just seems it ain’t available. :frowning:

would it be better to have three catagories here? Beer, Lager and cat’s piss.

Cat’s piss couls start with Bud, Coor’s San Miguel, XXXX, Fosters

[quote=“tonygo”]would it be better to have three catagories here? Beer, Lager and cat’s piss.

Cat’s piss couls start with Bud, Coor’s San Miguel, XXXX, Fosters[/quote]

Well, a “lager” is a type of beer. “Lager” means “to store” in the German language and basically, lagers became popular during the industrial revolution when large scale refrigeration became more widely available. Of course, the Germans had been “lagering” beers for a long time in alpine caves.

However, as Bud, Coor’s San Miguel, XXXX, Fosters, and I can think of some others, cannot really be classified as beer, IMO, I would not object to a second catagory for "cat piss, or swill for the likes of these.

Hoegaarden - I think I had it at Cosi once. They do a few belgian beers - duvel, Chimay, delerium, etc. Q has a few. Mr T seems to have tracked down the beer guy, though, (swift work - the man is thirsty!) and he is your best bet for finding it.

Who is this beer guy Geert or whatever? what exactly does he do? so you order beers from him or something? and since he is in kaoshiung, will he ever do business in taipei?

Is there a bar/pub where i can get hoegaarden in taipei?

thanks.

[quote=“aceman”]Who is this beer guy Geert or whatever? what exactly does he do? so you order beers from him or something? and since he is in kaoshiung, will he ever do business in taipei?

Is there a bar/pub where i can get hoegaarden in taipei?

thanks.[/quote]

Read page 1. :unamused:

If you drive or occasionally like to stay sober the supermarket in B2 of the Sogo on Dun-Hua S. Rd. (between Chung-Hsiao & Ren-Ai Rds.) sells Grundel’s alcohol free beer. It’s not bad - NT$ 179 for 6 bottles.

I guess I’m not wanted in here… :cry:

Taiwan beer wrote [quote]I guess I’m not wanted in here…
[/quote]Well, not unless you can stop tasting like uluminium.

[quote]
Rostocker Freibeuter - Breeze Center Supermarket[/quote]

German lager. Red amber. 9% abv. Sticky sweet, syrupy mouthfeel, A hint of toffee. Malty. Will give you a tooth ache.