Beer. The dividing line

Why is it sicko?

A few drinks is fine and obviously too many is no good. Simple.

HG

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]Why is it sicko?

HG[/quote]

Okay the way I’m reading is that while the woman is preggers she has a couple of drinks and then dumps out her system. Or I read it that after she gives birth, she dumps it before breastfeeding. AFAIK a few drinks still could be in the system due to the fact that it stores itself in fat and has to be processed thru the liver. But you’ve been a nurse so you may know better than I would :laughing: Nonetheless, why drink when you are in the prime of nuturing?

Historically a pint of stout is good for breastfeeding mothers. Nutritionally it helps them.
Within limits of course.

I figure having a baby is as good a cause as any for a drink, but that’s HG the drinker, not Nurse Rathcett the medication time nightmare speaking just now. :laughing:

HG

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]I like beer.
Always have. I remember the 1st taste of beer I had. I liked it.
[/quote]

My first beer was Lowenbrau

I didn’t like it the first time (I was 10 or so). Is Lowenbrau any good? I don’t think i’ve tasted it since then.

Beer is gooooooood

Nama

Its not sick to ask the question, but would be if we found out she had been drinking whilst breastfeeding for 4 years or so before asking!

Lo Bo To down our way we used to call Lowenbrau ““Lousy”” for short, but I quite liked it.

Talking of beer, is anyone out this week? My better half is travelling and I have lots of exercise lined up but no beer… sad isn’t it?

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]Historically a pint of stout is good for breastfeeding mothers. Nutritionally it helps them.
Within limits of course.[/quote]

True indeed. Stout is a universal, multi-tasking beverage. :grandpa:
I hear it’s quite good for breakfast.
Aids the digestion, I’m told.
But only on tap, or big bottles.

Does anyone know if there’s still an “ABC Stout”, outta Singapore?

[quote=“TheGingerMan”][quote=“TainanCowboy”]Historically a pint of stout is good for breastfeeding mothers. Nutritionally it helps them.

True indeed. Stout is a universal, multi-tasking beverage.
Does anyone know if there’s still an “ABC Stout”, outta Singapore.[/quote]

What is it in Stout that makes it good for health?

Mr. Indiana’s Mum drank a pint of Guinness a day whilst pregnant, under doctor’s orders. It has a lot of iron and other nutrients in it, so pregnant mothers were encouraged to drink it (in the 60’s at least).

On a side note, I am a big fan of Guinness and Murphy’s, and even if I drink a lot of either I never, ever have a hangover. In fact, there have been days when I have woken up the next morning after a night of drinking the stuff feeling tremendous, bright eyed and bushy tailed and ready for a hike! Anyone else ever feel that way? Magic stuff, I swear… :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“Namahottie”][quote=“TheGingerMan”][quote=“TainanCowboy”]Historically a pint of stout is good for breastfeeding mothers. Nutritionally it helps them.

True indeed. Stout is a universal, multi-tasking beverage.
Does anyone know if there’s still an “ABC Stout”, outta Singapore.[/quote]

What is it in Stout that makes it good for health?[/quote]

It’s the iron content, I think. My mother was prescribed it because she was anaemic while pregnant with me. Didn’t do me any harm. On the other hand, I do have a rather strong appetite for stout now… :ponder:

Nails, apparently. I guess it’s called iron these days.

HG

[quote=“Namahottie”][quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]Why is it sicko?

HG[/quote]

Okay the way I’m reading is that while the woman is preggers she has a couple of drinks and then dumps out her system.[/quote]
No, “pump and dump” is a phrase used by many doctors to advise women to cycle something out of their breast milk before feeding their baby; a mother would use the same kind of breast pump as what she would use to draw breast milk to store in a bottle. A mother may have to take medication that she wouldn’t want to pass on to her baby, so a doctor would advise her to not breast feed for a certain number of hours after taking the medicine so that it can be excreted out. For nearly every medicine, “pumping and dumping” is merely a precaution since most medicines, and alcohol, will be completely excreted out of a healthy body within a few hourse of taking them.

The body, or at least a healthy one, does not store alcohol.

Why not? We’re not talking about the wife and I going out for a super mega get so pissed that you vomit until the capillaries in your eyeballs burst kind of piss up. Just a beer or two, once or twice a week with enough breast milk put aside in bottles so that the wife has a few hours to excrete out the alcohol. Nine months is a long time to go without beer or wine.

The benefits far outway any miniscule risk of the kid getting a drop of alcohol. Think about it, a relaxed mum with a life balanced life the world of adults and children is best for everyone concerned.

HG

My wife gave of alcohol long before I married her, so this wasn’t an issue for us when we had our Sabrina. My wife did down the coffee like an addict and gave that up while she was pregnant and only touches it sparingly now she is nursing.

As for me, I’m a beer and wine guy. But since wine is so damn pricey, I’m a beer guy unless you are buying. Asian beer is quite weak, I always seem to be missing the good strong ales like Sierra Nevada or Hazed in Infised out of Boulder, CO. I also miss my PBR. :frowning: