Beijing vs. Tianjin

Hi all; Looks like I might be returning to Asia after four years in Canada. I’ve been offered jobs in Beijing and Tianjin. I’ve been to the former but not the latter. I know Beijing has more to offer in terms of nightlife, western stuff and so on. I’m not really a bar/club type and I lived in Asia for a decade before so I don’t need a lot of western things. That being said, how does Tianjin compare to Beijing?

Having moved from TEDA recently, I’d recommend Tianjin over Beijing. There’s a small expat site at www.tianjinexpats.com

Thanks for that. What’s TEDA?

I have a friend from the UK who vastly prefers Tianjin, but part of the reason for that is he got a very good job there.

Another friend (an American) lives in Beijing, calls it Greyjing, and is planning to leave because he can’t stand it. He’s a very successful trainer but on the picky side of things in his personal life.

I’ve spent far more time in Beijing than Tianjin. I honestly like both places, but have a preference for Shanghai.

If you’re to spend any length of time there, you really must visit before you make your decision. Nothing like being on the ground.

First of all you better like ginormous cities that are jammed continously.

I’ve recently moved from TEDA also, it’s Tianjin Economic Development Area or something like that, basically a mega industrial zone, however quite liveable. Do you know where exactly in Tianjin your office will be? If it’s manufacturing related it may actually be in TEDA (~40kms from Tianjin city).

Tianjin doesn’t fall into this category, neither would I really consider most of Beijing in it either.

You don’t think Beijing is a mega city…everytime I visit I spend hours going from one place to another, Terrible jams. Very spread out. Of course Tianjin is much smaller and on the coast.

Tianjin is the dumps. Beijing has all the lovely food the best restaurants from ALL over the world. A sizeable happy expat community and all that, but I guess that’s not important.

I’ve not been to Tianjin, but presumably, because it’s closer to the sea, the air wouldn’t be as dry and so that shitty static shock business you get in Beijing wouldn’t be as frequent an issue. That would tip the scales for me.

Anyway, with the new high speed train, isn’t it only half an hour away?

HG

Tianjing: almost as shitty as Beijing, my current home. Think of it like Beijing, but with more humidity because it is closer to the water and hordes of tourists coming to escape from Beijing during the Summer. Good luck getting a train ticket on the weekend!

Beijing: Shanghai less 3 years development. Before the Olympics it was more like 5-7. More culture than Shanghai; but what is that really saying? The weather is 12 below zero before windchill in the winter and and 35-40 degrees in the Summer. Unlike Shanghai, it’s harder to tell who the 外地 morlocks are because everyone is speaking Mandarin. The traffic makes Bangkok look like amateur hour - 45min to go 4km in the morning. The subway is like Japan, but without the good hygiene or people to push you in the car. The food however, has improved immensely - none of which you’ll find in Tianjin.

Whatever you choose, good luck!

It’s a tough call. I lived in Xi’an for a year in 1993 and Hsinchu from 1997 to 2003 so I think I’m pretty hardened to the filth and lack of civility of a Chinese city. Also I’m not a bar/club guy so hot nightlife isn’t a factor for me. As for the cold, I’m from Canada so it isn’t something new for me. I guess the thing that tips things in the favour of Tianjin is a cheaper cost of living. Does anyone know what would be the cost of an average, furnished one bedroom apartment in Beijing compared to Tianjin?

Xi’an for a year? That’s hard yards. I travel there a couple times a quarter as we have a large facility there. I couldn’t imagine having to live there permanently. In fact, my next trip in tomorrow from sunny Kunming.

Beijing is really expensive. Think 20k a month for something decent. YMMV.

[quote=“Elegua”]Xi’an for a year? That’s hard yards. I travel there a couple times a quarter as we have a large facility there. I couldn’t imagine having to live there permanently. In fact, my next trip in tomorrow from sunny Kunming.

Beijing is really expensive. Think 20k a month for something decent. YMMV.[/quote]

20K a month for something decent?!? I’m not sure what you consider decent but how much for a furnished one bedroom in something like a Taiwanese rather than a western building? By that I mean grim concrete and fluorescent lit hallways/bars on the windows sort of thing. Any idea?

[quote=“Tert Card”][quote=“Elegua”]Xi’an for a year? That’s hard yards. I travel there a couple times a quarter as we have a large facility there. I couldn’t imagine having to live there permanently. In fact, my next trip in tomorrow from sunny Kunming.

Beijing is really expensive. Think 20k a month for something decent. YMMV.[/quote]

20K a month for something decent?!? I’m not sure what you consider decent but how much for a furnished one bedroom in something like a Taiwanese rather than a western building? By that I mean grim concrete and fluorescent lit hallways/bars on the windows sort of thing. Any idea?[/quote]

Ok, I’m probably overstating it a bit. I found that everyone’s rent just went up about 25% this year. a bit. I found that 12k per month was about the minimum needed for something around medium/good-Taiwan levels of quality. Even the real-estate lady was complaining about her rent going up to 600 from 500 - but that’s tight quarters and far away.

E