Beijing's first Bike Only Expressway

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1ebS0Fn2QE

2 Likes

This is actually pretty great.

Hopefully Taiwan will get something like this soon where bike expressways go right through the city next to motorways.

I want to agree with you but there’s a 15 KM per hour speed limit and you can see traffic lights in the video. Looks like a frustrating 6.5 KM ride. And how much you want to bet running one of those lights lowers your social credit score?

There’s a 25kph speed limit on the river side here in Taipei and nobody is ever abiding by those rules. Of course, we do not have the credit score to worry about.

i was in beijing last week and hilariously saw a foreigner in the bike lane, cycling wearing a helmet and shouting ‘this is a bike lane’ over and over in chinese.

is it? why do the bikes need to go up there? why not the cars and scooters? it would be much better to sort out an actual bike lane. the streets are already pretty full(and ugly) i dont see there being room for this.
another thing this just screams ‘chinese show off thing’ i’m going to bet this is a one off and won’t be expanded upon at all even if it works well in china.

1 Like

Actually Taipei has some kind of ‘bike expressways’ ib the sky on bridges and one slung under an overpass near luzhou already.
But to make a dedicated one for commuting would be a big feat and challenging . Whst we need are showers in the office !

Quite a simple solution to that.

Never knew there was a speed limit on it, the fact that it doesn’t seem to be possible to keep scooters and other vehicles off it doesn’t bode well for enforcing any speed limit. Electric “bicycles” are starting to add to the list of hazards on what was a fantastic idea when first implemented.

Definitely, wouldn’t even consider commuting by bicycle in the summer unless there was a nice shower waiting before work!

1 Like

Doesn’t sounds like a one off, it’s part of future city planning.

1 Like

I still think it’s a good idea, but the speed limit (if enforced) would frustrate me to no end. And some of those guys in the video are way overdressed for that kind of speed limit.

FB_IMG_1557097742055

3 Likes

…and distance.

1 Like

25 is reasonable. 15 is a joke.

1 Like

My average speed on a Taipei riverside segment. Back when I was doing this more often.

Screenshot_20190603-160604

Yeah, 15 is a joke.

i heard about that years ago, still seems like nothing is happening? although in london i don’t blame them for wanting to stick cyclists out of the way. cycling is different in taiwan though, for everyone, not just the uber serious knobs like back in london.

Londoners are mostly assholes. Never a good point of comparison. :sunglasses:

1 Like

By default the riversides are pedestrian areas, those type of speeds in pedestrian areas are what get cyclists a bad reputation and result in removal of shared sidewalks.

2 Likes

Yup, pretty hard to ride for 30 minutes at that speed and not risk clobbering someone. Take it to the road.

2 Likes

I don’t know a cyclist who doesn’t hit things hard on the riverside paths. Admittedly, most of the time it’s in small spurts, but it’s done by everyone I know. And a quick look at Strava leadership boards and you’ll see this not uncommon.

I go to the riverside paths with a very flexible mindset. I have on more than one occasion gone a few kilometers, then turned around, headed all the way back home and up a mountain by my house. Too crowded. My last ride on that particular segment shown above was on a Monday morning at around 10 am. Dead empty. No old folks, no kids, nobody. No sane person into sports holds things back at that point.

Get up on the hoods at any potentially dangerous area. Stop pedaling. Look around. Then get back down on the long, long stretches when you can see 2-3 km ahead. Sheesh.

The old everyone does it mindset…well, take care and good luck. Bike paths for sport, that’s rich.

My point regarding that statement is that if you care so much about it, you could probably do much better by going to the bike paths every Saturday and picketing other cyclists, blocking them to hand out pamphlets, and talking to your cyclist friends, rather than getting on the case of someone who cycles on the bike paths about once a month (even less now). And the leadership boards for the bike paths are topped and full of foreigners who do well in the local races.

Any person who likes sport will not be able to resist an empty stretch of road while cycling. I don’t think that’s an odd statement to make.

I look forward to see you picketing out there every Saturday.

I used to pretend I was Sandra’s bullocks and my bike would explode if I dropped under 50. :rofl:

1 Like