Being back (home) for a while

Notes:

I miss having a hot/ice cold water thingy in my house. Those are really cool…and hot as it were…

The NY upstate suburbs around Albany are scary: they are SOO quiet, I had to keep calling local friends at 8AM to see if some virus hadn’t wiped out the planet…

I rREALLLLLLY like the produce section of the grocery store…

I miss Chinglish and talking about people in a foreign language when they’re right next to me.

PIZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZAAAAAAAAAAAA

Cable TV with 500 channels blows hard…takes me 20 minutes to find something I like because I don’t know any of the new shows…then the show is almost over…so I’ve watching CSPAN 1 and 2…that’s QUALITY TV!

Had a “Thanksgiving Turkey” fahita wrap, turkey stuffing cranberry sauce lettuce wrapped in breadskin…OMG!

The pubic librarian is searching the universe for a comparison of Chinese and western thought for me… :smiling_imp: She had all these reference books out and was getting all excited just looking and thinking…I had to excuse myself… :loco: but in a cool way :rainbow:

gas is 3+$/gallon and no one seems to care. All driving their SUVs…more harley davidsons on the road, sweeet

people not so fat, but I haven’t been to wal mart yet.

[quote=“jdsmith”]Notes:

I miss having a hot/ice cold water thingy in my house. Those are really cool…and hot as it were…

The NY upstate suburbs around Albany are scary: they are SOO quiet, I had to keep calling local friends at 8AM to see if some virus hadn’t wiped out the planet…

I miss Chinglish and talking about people in a foreign language when they’re right next to me.

Cable TV with 500 channels blows hard…takes me 20 minutes to find something I like because I don’t know any of the new shows…then the show is almost over…so I’ve watching CSPAN 1 and 2…that’s QUALITY TV!

Had a “Thanksgiving Turkey” fahita wrap, turkey stuffing cranberry sauce lettuce wrapped in breadskin…OMG!

The pubic librarian is searching the universe for a comparison of Chinese and western thought for me… :smiling_imp: She had all these reference books out and was getting all excited just looking and thinking…I had to excuse myself… :loco: but in a cool way :rainbow:

gas is 3+$/gallon and no one seems to care. All driving their SUVs…more harley davidsons on the road, sweeet

people not so fat, but I haven’t been to wal mart yet.[/quote]

I went to a restaurant last night and they had a hot tap in the bogs. I could clean my hands before I ate, rather than just smear the dirt around my claws.

If I were at home now I wouldn’t bother with forumosa! :smiley:

:raspberry: It’s early in the AM. I’m afraid of the TV. And too tired myself to read.

:slight_smile:

The only thing to say to you guys is:

:upyours:

Thank god neither of you like Mexican food. :stuck_out_tongue:

Have you gotten stalled in front of the cheese display in the supermarket yet? When I first moved back, supermarkets were like a major spectator sport. Walk and marvel, walk and marvel, rinse, lather and repeat.

I found the Breeze cheese section to be quite remarkable (although back in vancouver, the cheese specialty shops are just that good). And while shopping at tesco-type hypermarkets, i found the selection of foreign wine to be more extensive that your average grocery store back home (e.g. safeway in calif. obviously has lots of calif. wines, but their foreign wine selection is so-so.)

Hmm… As someone who’s come from Sweden and is currently living in the UK, I have to say the shops here have a poor selection of cheese, bread, meat, milk products and even fruit and veg. I mean I can’t even get hold of blue congo potatoes here! How am I supposed to make blue mashed potates? :stuck_out_tongue:
Anyhow, I’ve kind of adjusted and soon enough I guess it’ll be time to re-adjust soon enough again. Although I’d eat most Taiwanese things before I’d even consider having a steak & kidney pie or some jellied eel & mash… but that might just be me :wink:

JD - tsk tsk, gas is $3+ per gallon, don’t get fooled. People are crapping in their pants over it. I know I am. I got rid of my SUV and bought a Toyota Corolla - there is no pleasure in this new car for me :frowning: like when I bought the jeep. People have started to be resigned to the $3/gallon price because it’s been that way for over a year now. The problem is it’s creeping up to higher levels. I’m torn. On the one hand, it’s probably good for the environment because I think some folks are driving less. On the other hand, I commute 52 miles each way, and so I can’t afford for the prices to keep climbing - yikes!!

Yah . . . there are good thinks about being home, aren’t there? Most folks follow traffic rules here :slight_smile: That’s one I can appreciate. Yeah the cheese selection - that’s definitely better - but you better watch your gut - that’ll put on the pounds!

Bodo

[quote=“jdsmith”]Notes:

people not so fat, but I haven’t been to wal mart yet.[/quote]

So you made it back … have fun. I’m still stuck in twilight here. We managed to sell most of our stuff but kept the bakery stuff and the espresso machine. Anyways, I wish I could go and visit home sometime … for now a trip to Kinmen has to do.

Enjoy your stay home.

When I go back to Australia these days I have no idea how to do operate the new cable service, what number to dial for operator service, that sort of thing. I particularly like dealing with the public service and hitting up perplexed clerks with, “c’mon, there has to be another way, right?” Being a gibbering cheese section staring foreigner in your home country is a blast.

Enjoy!

HG

In the USA I found it mind boggling when calling services the option was “Please press 1 for English” how about an option #3

“Please press “3” if you want us to suck your nut sack.”

You keep your nuts in a sack? :loco: I keep mine in a bag. :smiley:

$3 a gallon? I think it is about $2 a litre in the rest of the world guys!

England:

I can’t get used to…

1. Fat fat fat people.
  2. Opinionated fat people.
  3. Women smoking in bars.
  4. Women drinking pints.
  5. Fat opinionated women drinking and smoking in bars.

MrsHill IS a subservient Asian, it’s just that I never saw it before!

Oh yes, fat opinionated stupid women drinking pints in bars and beating you at arm wrestling is the real story though, eh Tom?

Gotta love Blighty

homecoming culture shock, eh? happens to me a lot.

[quote=“TomHill”]England:

I can’t get used to…

1. Fat fat fat people.
  4. Women drinking pints.

MrsHill IS a subservient Asian, it’s just that I never saw it before![/quote]

I thought ALL Asian women were subservient. Where’d you get yours? :wink:

[quote=“Bodo”][quote=“TomHill”]England:

I can’t get used to…

1. Fat fat fat people.
  4. Women drinking pints.

I thought ALL Asian women were subservient. Where’d you get yours? :wink:[/quote]

Met in England.

[quote=“TomHill”][quote=“Bodo”][quote=“TomHill”]England:

I can’t get used to…

1. Fat fat fat people.
  4. Women drinking pints.

I thought ALL Asian women were subservient. Where’d you get yours? :wink:[/quote]

Met in England.[/quote]
In a bar drinking a pint, right?

Bodo

HA HA. No, in a university library. I kid you not.