Being back (home) for a while

ok, so my kid cant ride in the front seat.

why

the airbag will kill him in a head on crash

but why would I get in a head on crash?

The police will give me a huge ticket.

Strange days indeed…

jd, welcome home.

I’ve been reading how the US is suffering through record temperatures, over 130 have died in CA from the heat in the past few weeks and NY has seen temps over 100 for 2 weeks straight. According to today’s paper, at least 10 died in NYC this week from the heat. Is it really that bad? Is it worse than Taipei? Or, is it drier so relatively not so bad?

Can you post any pics of the scenery where you are?

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]jd, welcome home.

I’ve been reading how the US is suffering through record temperatures, over 130 have died in CA from the heat in the past few weeks and NY has seen temps over 100 for 2 weeks straight. According to today’s paper, at least 10 died in NYC this week from the heat. Is it really that bad? Is it worse than Taipei? Or, is it drier so relatively not so bad?

Can you post any pics of the scenery where you are?[/quote]

It’s not that bad unless you have to walk around California. C’mon, people live in their AC homes, their AC cars, and their AC malls.

However, if you’re doing sports outdoors, do a lot of walking, etc., it is very hot outside. I try to do things in the shade or go out later in the day, and stay out of the sun mid-day.

I think temps were 114 couple weeks ago, but they’ve come down. Also depends, on where you are, e.g. SF still has its fog cooling effects. I went down to Soledad for a wedding, and it was much cooler there. Highways are definitely baking when you’re surrounded by cars and riding on asphalt.

Moving back to the US.

Most difficult, day 1: When driving, holding off on the urge to make an Asian left turn (you know, follow the guy ahead of you by turning in his shadow, i.e., cheating!). That’ll get you killed in the US (we drive on the right, so a left turn crosses oncoming traffic), to hell with $3 gas.

Best, day 1: Burger King, LAX. The best $10 I ever spent on $4 of shit fast food.

I also struggled with the lack of noise at night. I loved the wide, well-kept roads and sidewalks, though. Also loved idea of a garden and fresh Beefcake tomatoes, which are to die for when picked in 100F heat and eaten right in the garden, freshpicked. Ranks right up with the BK meal at LAX.

Beer in the US, what a treat to come back to. While I was gone a riot of super-hopped ales were brought to market in the US, and for me that’s surely one level of heaven.

Comedy Central on cable TV. While I was gone a great new idiotic American comedian was launched: Larry the Cable Guy. And Ron White! Jaysus, what low taste I have. :laughing:

I totally miss the street food, though. I miss terribly the trashiness of the night market. I also miss terribly the energy of Taiwan at night, all the lights. I miss the mountains, and my scooter, the MRT, and train stations. Dr. Watsons, with its wide open doors and promise of instant coolness. Binlang girls, especially the borderline funky ones. Temples everywhere, along with incense shops, and burning paper on Saturday night.

[quote=“flike”]Moving back to the US.

Most difficult, day 1: When driving, holding off on the urge to make an Asian left turn (you know, follow the guy ahead of you by turning in his shadow, i.e., cheating!). That could prove deadly in the US (we drive on the right, so a left turn crosses oncoming traffic), to hell with $3 gas.

Best, day 1: Burger King, LAX. The best $10 I ever spent on $4 of shit fast food.

I also struggled with the lack of noise at night. I loved the wide, well-kept roads and sidewalks, though. Also loved idea of a garden and fresh Beefcake tomatoes, which are to die for when picked in 100F heat and eaten right in the garden, freshpicked. Ranks right up with the BK meal at LAX.

Beer in the US, what a treat to come back to. While I was gone a riot of super-hopped ales were brought to market in the US, and for me that’s surely one level of heaven.

Comedy Central on cable TV. While I was gone a great new idiotic American comedian was launched: Larry the Cable Guy. And Ron White! Jaysus, what low taste I have. :laughing:

I totally miss the street food, though. I miss terribly the trashiness of the night market. I also miss terribly the energy of Taiwan at night, all the lights. I miss the mountains, and my scooter, the MRT, and train stations. Dr. Watsons, with its wide open doors and promise of instant coolness. Binlang girls, especially the borderline funky ones. Temples everywhere, along with incense shops, and burning paper on Saturday night.[/quote]

if you ever come up to SF bay, me and a few others have irregular forumosa get togethers.

In China town to try and make them more authentic or you dudes choose a sports bar or western style restaurant to meet up. I’m thinking that would be an interesting choice. I’d probably go the bar if they had good food.

Whoa. In flagrante delicto, busted. :laughing:

Thanks Jack. I believe I’m going to have to suffer a biz trip to Sacramento in October, I’ll see if I can’t make my way down there somehow, some way.

:roflmao: So true. I know when I go back, I’ll be like a deer in headlights.

JDS - how’s the alcohol free thing holding up? I’d imagine it’d be pretty tough when back amongst family/friends that you haven’t seen for a while. Good luck with it.

Well, I’m not the only one who doesn’t drink these days, so it hasn’t been too bad, and when we all went family camping they were drinking terrible beer: Bud Blue light or some damn thing.

I would have to say that the drinking thing is behind me…six months in and I can’t imagine drinking either in front of friends or alone. Thanks for asking. Being public about it though has probably been the biggest help, especially when I see people IRL and they comment that I’m NOT drinking. That’s always fun.

MT, the weather has been good where I am, upstate NY; very cool in the AM and hot but breezy during the day. Much better than Taiwan; but that could be an optical delusion as there is more better sky and trees and mountains here.

Saw a deer while walking through an arboretum and a family of turkeys poking in someone’s driveway while I was out walking.

Trip motto: do things IRL with people you like and chances are you’ll have a good time.

I plan on bringing that motto back to the rock.

Did you just use your handgun or were you more prepared with shotgun and rifle for each target as it came in sight.

Great job on the drinking front btw.