Being nonbinary in Taipei.

Professional.

6 Likes

:rofl:

1 Like

That’s my channel. :slight_smile:

not sure what the problem is then. you look professional but they say you look unprofessional and you have a problem with it?

I see you work in a public school. I’m assuming you are hoping to get a bonus at the end of the contract. I would be very careful with how you act because that bonus is (sometimes) used to keep you in line.

If you are just coming to Taiwan I would caution against making any waves until you understand the culture a bit. Also, culture shock is very real and it might be best for you to bite your tongue and lie low. Personally, I think Taiwan is very progressive toward the LGBT community but their are nuances that you will need to understand before rocking the boat.

And… don’t make videos at your school. :sweat_smile:

Good Luck

A post was merged into an existing topic: Nonbinary gender discussion

Wait. Taipei has more Kings than any place I’ve ever seen. If I’m right, then OP should have NO trouble other than maybe switching mid-stream at work. If I’m wrong, then Taipei has more … nope, not even gonna entertain that I’m wrong.

you look like a woman in your videos. and sound like a woman. i don’t see how you should or could have a problem with taiwanese referring to you as a woman.

2 Likes

In the old days, we had a word for this: tomboy. The old days, apparently, are over.

5 Likes

Not sure if it’s professional to make YouTube videos at work though.

2 Likes

The 70’s were really something. They’d probably crucify poor old Brian if he did this today.

Definitely sounds like a castratable offense.

Am nonbinary, Taiwanese, and asexual. Most who know me are cool with this.

How do your boss and co-workers take it? (OP was upset about being addressed/referred to by a co-worker as female.)

Pronouns aren’t really a thing here, and I don’t have a boss (I’m a college student) but people generally don’t say anything. My closer friends do switch from 妳 to 你 when addressing me, and so does my pastor.

I find that people are using the female 妳 less and less in writing these days anyway.

You mean you actually know people who aren’t cool with it?? If you don’t mind, how exactly does their shitbrain-ness manifest itself in their interactions with you?