Beitou hot springs

I’d post in either Segue or the earlier thread here, but both seem to be locked.

I’ve written about my own Peitou experience at:

worldisround.com/articles/15169/index.html

Are there any japanese style hot spring resorts with nude mixed bathing?
My girlfriend & I like to bath nude together & have no problem being in the company of others. We can never can get into the smaller private bathing rooms that seem to be always booked solid with young lovers.

Thanks!

Chuck Miller

Not that I know of. The only time we were able to do this was in an almost-deserted pool very late at night - we surprised another couple, and they agreed to share the pool with us. That was over 10 years ago.

Was that all you shared (or swapped) that night ??? :smiling_imp: :stuck_out_tongue:

Many hot spring spas have private rooms with smaller pools that couples or groups of friends can rent. Some are like hotel suites with video screens for watching movies and mini bars. Others are more like oversized bathrooms. Co-ed nude bathing in communal hot spring pools is pretty rare from what I’ve noticed around Taiwan. Then again, I haven’t seen everything yet.

Some of the hotel rooms we’ve been in, sized for two, have relatively large hot tubs so several people could well soak at the same time… are there any which are outdoor, similar to a communal pool?

The closest I’ve seen is the Xiang Gen (Hakone) in Wulai, not that I’ve visited that many hot spring resorts. According to the brochures, the hot tub area in their private rooms look like they’re on a balcony overlooking the river. They’re not cheap compared to the communal (segregated) areas though, I think it was NT$2000+ for 2 hours.

TNT: Fortunately or unfortunately, no. We chatted.

A friend of mine told me about staying at such a place in the Kending area. But that’s the only one like that in Taiwan that I’ve heard about. :frowning:

I love communal hot spring bathing. I loathe the thought of being segregated with just a bunch of guys (yuck!) away from the ladies – how absurd and unnatural that is! But when there’s a crowd of both sexes and all ages happily milling about together in all their naked glory, it’s really delightful.

That’s what I loved best when I stayed in Japan – there are still lots of such places to be found scattered around, even though they became much scarcer after the prudish American occupiers made them feel ashamed of this practice and persuaded them to start separating bathing areas for men and women.

I’ve always felt what a pity it is that the Taiwanese didn’t adopt this aspect of Japanese culture during their half century of Japanese colonial tutelage. It’s not as if the concept of communal nakedness is alien to Chinese culture – I believe it was the norm during the highest flowering of Chinese culture in the Tang Dynasty.

Anyway, there are signs that the Taiwanese are becoming more accepting of this idea, common as it is in other parts of the world which they recognize as the acme of non-Chinese civilization. On an individual level, I’ve known many Taiwanese, including plenty of young women, who like the idea and would gladly patronize such places if they could. So there is hope for the future.

And here’s something from a website about hot spring bathing in Central Taiwan that gives me further encouragement:

“Lushan Hot Spring
Lushan hot-spring resort has more than 20 hot-spring hotels of every size and standard, each with its own signature facilities and therapies. For example, there are Japanese-style outdoor baths that emphasize the beneficial effects of bathing in natural surroundings; there are sophisticated spas offering all kinds of health-enhancing treatments; and there are more leisure-oriented spas where patrons can soak in idle luxury, order tea, or sport in hot-spring swimming-pools.
In addition, hotel owners have recently begun to plan the introduction of naturist pools, where pairs of lovers, married couples or whole families can bathe together in wholly-natural naked bliss. The addition of these naturist pools is sure to enhance the pleasures and attractions of a visit to the wonderful hot spring resort of Lushan.

What’s the URL for this website about Lushan? Maybe they’re open already…

It’s at the 921 Earthquake Reconstruction Commission’s website. They’re promoting hot spring resorts to help revive tourism in the quake-devastated areas of central Taiwan – especially, of course, Nantou County where Lushan is located.

I went to Lushan a couple of months ago, but I couldn’t find anything like that there yet.

I have to say I didn’t expect Taiwan to be suffering from the effects of 921 today, but I saw the rebuilding for myself.
The Guangong temple at Sun Moon Lake isn’t ready yet, but a pavilion was being retiled the afternoon I visited, and it was complete when we passed by that evening.

The good news is that the bridge they’re building to get to Dongpu, the hot spring area, outside Tongfu, is almost ready. They were still putting it together the first time I visited last month, and it was mostly there last week.