Belgian authorities jail man for WEARING a fake Rolex!

Holy shit! Who would’ve guessed?

A Belgian man was jailed for six months and ordered to pay the equivalent of 700 British pounds for wearing a fake Rolex watch.

Reason given was that he was handling counterfeit goods.

Don’t think I’ll be flying from Taiwan to Belgium. Too risky :noway:

(Story here: http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_1587840.html?menu=)

[quote=“irishstu”]Holy shit! Who would’ve guessed?

A Belgian man was jailed for six months and ordered to pay the equivalent of 700 British pounds for wearing a fake Rolex watch.

Reason given was that he was handling counterfeit goods.

Don’t think I’ll be flying from Taiwan to Belgium. Too risky [/quote]

You wear a fake Rolex???

:roflmao:

[quote=“Comrade Stalin”]

You wear a fake Rolex???

:roflmao:[/quote]

Nope, but I wouldn’t be able to say with 100% certainty that I’m not wearing ANY counterfeit goods bought in Taiwan (e.g. clothes).

psssst!..Hey Buddy…wanna buy a day & date Presidential Rolux?..Cheeep!

Damn counterfeiters… Good on Belgium!! :bravo: Good on the Europeans!!! :notworthy:

And people are always ragging on me because I “actually go and buy genuine pc products” from a store, instead of copying or pirating them…

:roflmao:

When I was young and stupid, I had a fake Rolex and a fake TAG. How they could tell the difference without getting too close is beyond me. Watch dealers couldn’t even tell that the TAG was fake.

I only heard that Europen customs will sometimes reject people bringing in obviously fake goods like those watches, BUT you will certainly not go to jail for using them inside the country privately in my own country (Germany).

The sad thing is this kind of nonsense will increase throughout the west.
I would have expected this in the US, where the aim is a military police state and a microchipped population.

‘And they are easy to ignore, til they are knocking at the doors of your homes’

You see, be careful when you copy Belgian fries or beer … you could got to jail … :laughing:

I guess that more people will fly through Amsterdam, London or Paris now … :s

:loco: Typical Belgian joke :blush:

Getting 6 months on probation for wearing 1 of those fine watches… pffff . He was not jailed like people think, as there is even not enough space in our jails for all dealers, car-jackers and other kind of low trash.

When bashing someone half-dead on the street you could get away with 3 months behind the bars represented by a fine lawyer.

Knowing the court in Dendermonde, they are the toughest and meanest making headlines constantly as they convict speed- offenders 10 times harder than in other courts. Only a statement of a judge who mostly goes over the edge. Do not think this is typical Belgian attitude. We broke down the Russian and Ukrainian Mob representing 90% of all counter fit goods in Belgium, and that never made the news.
And most of them were made in guess

Well, I make a point of pirating software from Microshite because they more or less copy, steal from and aggressively ruin every other company that tries to get a look in.
Also, their products are not worth the value of the disks come on. They pose a security threat to every computer that HAS to run their inadequate programs - why should I pay for a piece of shit Microsoft program?

Other things like CD’s, DVD’s and and games I’ll buy.

there must be more to this. i can’t imagine the police stopping random people on the streets and checking their watches.

Well…the only people I’ve ever met who wore Rolexes were Italians, Taiwanese or pimps. They [i]do[/i] tend to stand out.

:laughing:

I have a genuine Polex watch.

[quote=“Richardm”]I have a genuine Polex watch.[/quote]I have a copy of one of those:

[quote=“Tempo Gain”]there must be more to this. I can’t imagine the police stopping random people on the streets and checking their watches.[/quote]Maybe he was flogging them on the street corner or something, and possesion was the only charge they could get to stick. Who knows ? He did knowingly have a counterfeit watch.

[quote=“Big Fluffy Matthew”]

From what I can see he wasn’t selling them, but was spotted by some Rolex reps, who reported him for wearing the copy. That’s all (I could be mistaken, of course).

Buying a fake Rolex is not like pirating software or videos. Rolex isn’t the only watch in existance and a person buying a knock-off wouldn’t buy the real thing. With movies/music/software you’re dealing with intellectual property that belongs to an artist or company. By pirating it you don’t pay the owners for what they made and own the right to.

With watches you’re buying physical property. The only thing that belongs to Rolex is the name. The rest of the property was produced by counterfeiters. And if the counterfeit watch performs all the functions of a Rolex then what’s the problem? If the watch was named Fakex then there would be no issue. So all that the guy was being prosecuted for was a name and that should only be an issue for the guys selling.

Rolex has a nice scam going on, inflating prices for nothing other than their name. Other watches are just as good but don’t cost as much.

Governments need to keep their hands out of private business, and what quality of watch a person wants to buy should be no concern of the authorities.
:braveheart:

And this is a problem why? Trademark law was setup to protect the consumer (not the producer) - so he knows that if he’s buying a Rolex he can rely on the quality that Rolex provide. If he knows he’s not buying a real Rolex, then there’s no problem.

If you buy a name-brand in a night-market for 1/10th the price of the real thing, then you know it’s fake, the seller knows it’s fake, and everyone’s happy. Don’t see a problem with that.

Ah, copyright infringement is a whole different kettle of fish. If Microsoft make something, they do deserve to be paid if you want to use their product.

There’s a difference between “wanting” to use their products and being “forced” to use their products.

They scam everybody.

They deserve nothing.

[quote=“Dangermouse”]There’s a difference between “wanting” to use their products and being “forced” to use their products.

They scam everybody.

They deserve nothing.[/quote]
I was using Microsoft as an example. Replace with any musician, filmmaker, software company you like. I’m guessing you have a particular issue with Microsoft rather than the principle of charging for your copyrighted code. I don’t like them or their anti-competitive practices either, but I know I don’t have to buy their stuff if I don’t want to (Linux and Apple provide perfectly decent alternatives nowadays…)