Belgian Kitchen in Sanxia

[color=red]Moderator’s Note: This was split from another thread because it’s taking on a life of its own.[/color]

[quote=“Hobart”]At Costco, they sell various kinds of Futong brand unsliced luncheon meat. I think it is a Taiwan brand. Surprisingly good actually. I tried most of them and the Futong boneless ham and Futong Australian beef, both sold at Costco at about NT$200 for 1 KG!! Very affordable prices.

You will need your own meat slicer though. I purchased one the last time I was home. I think you can get some seriously nice ones here that are for restaurant use, but they are kind of big.

I saved a lot of money with this meat slicer. The prices for luncheon meat at the delis of G&G (Tianmu), Breeze or Jason’s is too much.

Finally, does anyone know where I can find big Virginia style Hams in Taiwan? Maybe I can call this Futong company. I want to purchase something like that humongous ham hock that you see them carving up at Breeze at the regular price, not their inflated price.[/quote]

Actually, I can get you all the stuff you mentioned for a good price I think. I own an eatery down in Sanxia (Sanshia) though. I have a huge deli slicer and will have most of the Fulong brand meats for sale if requested… and yes Virginia style ham is one of them. Even imported cheeses and meats are and will be available if requested.
I also bake incredible good breads which are for sale at my place. I didn’t make any advertising until now, because I thought all is taking care of by the big guys but as I can read here it’s not.

If anyone is interested PM me for more info or directions. It’s actually easy to get here. Got to go, I’ve got to care for my bread and prepare lunch.

That sounds really good.
Maybe you should put a list of what you have for sale
so everyone can enjoy :bravo:

You’ve got slicers too, Man, what are you doing so far away?
You’ll become the official provider for Forumosian. :smiley:

Can’t wait to see what you got!!

I live and set up a business and work here because of my wife.

Could probably post some pictures very soon and give directions how to get here.

You got roast beef? :slight_smile:

[quote=“belgian pie”][quote=“Hobart”]At Costco, they sell various kinds of Futong brand unsliced luncheon meat. I think it is a Taiwan brand. Surprisingly good actually. I tried most of them and the Futong boneless ham and Futong Australian beef, both sold at Costco at about NT$200 for 1 KG!! Very affordable prices.

You will need your own meat slicer though. I purchased one the last time I was home. I think you can get some seriously nice ones here that are for restaurant use, but they are kind of big.

I saved a lot of money with this meat slicer. The prices for luncheon meat at the delis of G&G (Tianmu), Breeze or Jason’s is too much.

Finally, does anyone know where I can find big Virginia style Hams in Taiwan? Maybe I can call this Futong company. I want to purchase something like that humongous ham hock that you see them carving up at Breeze at the regular price, not their inflated price.[/quote]

Actually, I can get you all the stuff you mentioned for a good price I think. I own an eatery down in Sanxia (Sanshia) though. I have a huge deli slicer and will have most of the Fulong brand meats for sale if requested… and yes Virginia style ham is one of them. Even imported cheeses and meats are and will be available if requested.
I also bake incredible good breads which are for sale at my place. I didn’t make any advertising until now, because I thought all is taking care of by the big guys but as I can read here it’s not.

If anyone is interested PM me for more info or directions. It’s actually easy to get here. Got to go, I’ve got to care for my bread and prepare lunch.[/quote]
Get your details up pronto and I’ll be down there. It would be so damn good to have a hike in the hills around Sanxia and not have to eat fried noodles afterward. D’you have any good beer?

Belgian! Good enough?

[quote]Actually, I can get you all the stuff you mentioned for a good price I think. I own an eatery down in Sanxia (Sanshia) though. I have a huge deli slicer and will have most of the Fulong brand meats for sale if requested… and yes Virginia style ham is one of them. Even imported cheeses and meats are and will be available if requested.

If anyone is interested PM me for more info or directions. It’s actually easy to get here. Got to go, I’ve got to care for my bread and prepare lunch.[/quote]

I can vouch for the delicious breads and sub sandwiches…and the soup…and the cookies…and the beer.

And the setting is quite nice too. It’s a shock to walk back out onto the street. But I had no idea we could order through you Marc! YEEha!

This would be a great place for a HH!

But, one question: Why did you remove the stones from the bathroom floor?

What ran through my head was the idea, once the weather clears up, of a Forumosa day hike in the area followed by a wee get-together at Belgian pie’s place. There’s plenty of buses going to Sanxia and plenty of Forumosans with cars. Hell, even by scooter its only 30 or so minutes to Sanxia, and there are some wonderful hikes in the area.

What ran through my head was the idea, once the weather clears up, of a Forumosa day hike in the area followed by a wee get-together at Belgian pie’s place. There’s plenty of buses going to Sanxia and plenty of Forumosans with cars. Hell, even by scooter its only 30 or so minutes to Sanxia, and there are some wonderful hikes in the area.[/quote]

Well, if you wanna test drive the place, I can surely join you as I’m just across the river in Ying Ge. Well, at least for the sandwiches and beer portion of the day.

Hey, I proposed stuff like this already more than a year ago but nobody wanted to come to Sanxia, but back than i didn’t have the place yet.

Anyway, there some nice hikes, like 4-5 hours over the mountains direction Daxi. Or starting 5 minutes walk from my place up until Baiji, about 2-3 hours.

anyway the best and fastest way to get to sanshia is by bus from Xinpu (Hsinpu) MRT station, the 910 bus starts at the Banchiao trainstation and stops at the MRT station on the Forward hotel side, right in front of it. takes 20 minutes because it’s a freewaybus, costs 45 NT$. Stops right across from my place. (Belgian kitchen in chinese 比利時廚房)

Anyway, the address is Tatung Rd. 1-10.

We can discuss what people like to have me take in because I can’t buy the whole lot of meat and cheeses just for fun. i’m prepared to take a cut in profitmargein if it’s really worth it and try to give a better price than the big guys. It wont be prepacked, I’ll do the cutting and packing.

I hope we can work out something to serve the foreign community. But hell i need to make some money, need to write of my slicer and pay the rent, don’t I.

I’ll put up a list and pictures as soon as possible of things I can get or already have. Special orders can be discussed about.

I can make almost every bread possible, but i have about 15 or 20 regularly in my store but not at the same time. Breads can be made on order, but realize that i’m only one person and have just 2 hands and 24 hours in a day, make that 16, need to sleep a little too.

Thanks for your interest anyway.

The accidental chef

Is Sanxia close to Tainan?..hope, hope, hope…(praying!)

Yeah, I know its not…darn! :frowning:

(need a ‘praying’ emoticon)

I wish, than the weather would be better. NO,NO it’s about 200Km between them.

Sorry, can’t move Sanxia yet.

Screw the bus! Take the train to Ying Ge. Come North or South. Have some folks to pick the carless up there, we drive to sanxia, do the trails, come back down and jia-BUNG!

I have a car. Can seat two or three ahem…“normal” sized forumosan men…or four regulars. :slight_smile: A few more cars and badaboom badabing!

Sounds like a great day to me. :slight_smile:

Can you give directions to the place? I might head to Sanxia this weekend to try out the hot spring place out there (any idea if it is any good) and would love to pick up some good bread.

Please mention your place in the travel forum under “Easy Train Rides from Taipei” and “Distinctive Towns.” Lots of people travel down to Sanxia and Yingge for visits (and often bring visiting family and friends) and I’m sure they would love to know there is a place with home cooking nearby.

It’s also possible to cycle out to Sanxia–great way to work up an appetite too.

You can also hike from Wulai.

[quote=“Mucha (Muzha) Man”]Can you give directions to the place? I might head to Sanxia this weekend to try out the hot spring place out there (any idea if it is any good) and would love to pick up some good bread.
.[/quote]

The hot spring place is ok…I like Yang ming shan better…but

the outdoor public pool is cheap…the indoor room with big bath is 800NT…a room with a bed and a hot and cold bath is 1500 or so.

It’s not bad.

There is the bike path along the river from
Banchiao/Yunghe/Zhonghe/X(S)indian going to Tucheng (almost Hengshi) which is only a few kilometers from Sanxia.

The path is across the river coming from Taipei (Heping W. Rd.)

That’s the route I mean. It’s a very pleasant cycle.

So again, Belgium Pie, how do we get to your place? I’ll be driving so from the San-Ying exit how to I get there? Thanks.