Belgium ? Let's talk about it

Putting this one under Politics as the youtube clip is the shamefull but true opener

1. Politics - 4 minutes of shame.
  1. a tiny wiener statue, peeing all day (not being representatives for those whom kicked Julias Cesar’s butt)

2. and Big Balls of steel…

Yes, it’s a great country for Asians to go on Holiday too and yes, we can be proud of Smurfs, Tin-Tin , Beer and Chocolate but these are all EXPORT.
I can’t imagine returning there and living the life I once took for granted.

My family dealt with this problem by emigrating to Australia. Herge was a regular in my grandfather’s cafe, and I remember the statue and steel balls from my infant-hood. But I’ve moved on as we all must.

I would never say no to a beer or a mussel: I’m still Belgian at heart.

[quote=“Charlie Phillips”]My family dealt with this problem by emigrating to Australia. Herge was a regular in my grandfather’s cafe, and I remember the statue and steel balls from my infant-hood. But I’ve moved on as we all must.

I would never say no to a beer or a mussel: I’m still Belgian at heart.[/quote]

I wouldn’t say not being proud - when Belgium relates to gastronomy, medicine development, pigeon racing, diamond cutting, famous cartoons and a few other niche upsides but when asked a year ago by a bystander here in TW from where I come, his reply was : " Ah - that country where people have no government for 2 years and where citizens tend to kill each other because of language issues" sigh. I blame it on channel 52 but still…

Here in TW , women refer to chocolates and men to beer when I succeed to pronoune be-li-se correctly.
Eddy Merckx , worldcup Korea 1986, the saxophone, Belgian fries the French stole, Solvay, Mercator, Brel, the Antwerp 6, none do ring a bell once 50 km out of the country.

Maybe my post is merely a 7 year itch loving it for the good but cursing it not finding what I have gained here.
Can’t eat from two walls no?

I’ve always liked the Belgians.
Spent plenty dollar while seconded to NATO HQ.
Great Beer. Good Soldiers. Horrible colonial history under Leopold. Nice cheese. Weird two nations. Folks were always nice to a colonial such as I, but rather rude to my German and French NATO comrades. Even to the Englanders, they kept it up.
I always smiled, in spite of myself!

According to my mother, Belgians invented everything, including roller skates.

Don’t forget the Belgian triangle and Brussels, the land of the Eurocrats.

I guess Belgium is a bit like Taiwan, people just have to get on with things at the end of the day. I always thought it would be nice to be based in Belgium as you could visit so many other European countries so easily.

About a decade ago I had a Belgian girlfriend from Ghent. I used to finish work in London on Friday, catch the train and be in Brussels in 3 hours or so.

I liked her a lot and I really liked Belgium. I’m not sure how any of this is relevant but I’m just feeling a bit nostalgic at the moment.

Oh, and if she’s anything to go by then Belgian girls are really dirty in bed.

[quote=“tomthorne”]About a decade ago I had a Belgian girlfriend from Ghent. I used to finish work in London on Friday, catch the train and be in Brussels in 3 hours or so.

I liked her a lot and I really liked Belgium. I’m not sure how any of this is relevant but I’m just feeling a bit nostalgic at the moment.

Oh, and if she’s anything to go by then Belgian girls are really dirty in bed.[/quote]

You tosser!
Just when we are gung ho about their beer, cheese, and great waiting times in front of a kiosk, you have to bring beds in to the whole biscuit…
:no-no:

I was born and raised in Ghent, hence - it’s that place / town / crib which keeps me going back once and a while as still to see the good things of that divided country.
It is known that “Gentenaars” are extreme critics as stubborn (going back to the middle ages) and while we do appreciate things, we tend to say “not bad” even if we mean “great” :laughing:

Brussels ? A dump- a sewer. Only good to use in the relation of “Brussels sprouts” or “Brussels waffles”.
A place - where when taking the Metro , I feel less secure than walking in China Town in Manila or 20 meters from the DMZ in Korea.

[quote=“ceevee369”]
Brussels ? A dump- a sewer. Only good to use in the relation of “Brussels sprouts” or “Brussels waffles”.
A place - where when taking the Metro , I feel less secure than walking in China Town in Manila or 20 meters from the DMZ in Korea.[/quote]

C’mon, it is not that bad.
Though, the subway is horrid.
Call me a tourist, and that I was, but I have had at least three or six grand times in Brussels.
Forget not that Leopold destroyed much of the old town.
Still, it manages to deal with NATO and the WCO.
I might have to go back for a conference next spring.
Looking forward to seeing old comrades, and making new ones.
Maybe we might get in a fight, but I doubt it.
Belgians fold on instinct, when faced with a Teuton Geordie Shet.
Sorry, but we are going to have to annul your neutrality, sorry again, on the way to fucking Gay Paris!
C’est formidable!
Nous, on s’marche!

I lived there for half a year–first .com job after grad school in the late 90s. What do I remember fondly? Liquid lunches (bosses were a Harvard MBA former USAid dude and a Boston Irish journalist that loved to drink), my digs in Eterbeek, drinking at the Hairy Canary pub, drinking lots of trappist beers, having frites with mayonnaise, and lots of cool architecture.

The bad? Way too high taxes, more dog shit on the street than Paris, statism mindet (especially the Walloons), and loads of red tape. Flying SABENA sucked as well.

I was born and raised in Ghent, hence - it’s that place / town / crib which keeps me going back once and a while as still to see the good things of that divided country.
It is known that “Gentenaars” are extreme critics as stubborn (going back to the middle ages) and while we do appreciate things, we tend to say “not bad” even if we mean “great” :laughing:
[/quote]

I have some fond memories of the place.

[quote=“tomthorne”]

Oh, and if she’s anything to go by then Belgian girls are really dirty in bed.[/quote]

You should have told her to take a shower first!
Jeez …

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

[quote=“Belgian Pie”][quote=“tomthorne”]

You should have told her to take a shower first!
Jeez …

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD[/quote]

“Home in three days. Don’t wash.”

If it’s good enough for Napoleon, it’s good enough for me.

Waffles!

I think of Sanxia.

Wrong. Even that is as correct as " speaking Belgium" :laughing:
It is either Brussels waffles or Liege waffles. Community differentiation :whistle:

While watching the news yesterday;
Many years ago, Belgium made the world headlines with the Dutroux case. Child abduction, rape, murder.( worse in other countries came after but it was the neglect of a failing police system which could stopped the killings earlier)
It was a time that many of us called ourselves " French " when being abroad as being disgusted as ashamed.
Aside the fact that the killer escaped once from incapable police, the twit might look at an early release after 16 years of prison. 4 of his victims won’t see the day but " humane" judges could release him one day - or another.

Don’t get me wrong, the country itself is great, but I do admit I failed further to believe in the institutions.
A king with an outside marriage daughter , a prime minister accused and known for being a pedophile…

Just make sure you visit in high summer. Its not unlike a Taiwan winter for the other 350 days of the year.

I visited for the unofficial Flanders national holiday in 2012 - aka the Ronde van Vlaanderen (Tour of Flanders). Being a cycling nut, Belgium is the place to visit. I saw all of the ‘Spring Classics’ over 4 successive Sundays.

Yep, give Brussels a miss (or maybe just one day to stock up on chocolates and visit the Grand Place) and visit the rest. As I was following the cycling, I moved around, staying in Kortrijk, Oudeenarde and Liege - with a few side trips to Germany between races. Other places worth a look are Ghent, Bruges, Ypres (WW1 battlefields), Antwerpen, and just about any small town - just hop off the train, go for a beer or coffee, then get on the next train when done.

And Spring it was not, generally not above 10C, drizzle sometimes, but for the purpose of the trip I didn’t really care as long as I could stay warm and dry.

Why is everyone so interested in talking about a type of sediment or stone? How can this Belgium be of any relevance to an international political forum? I mean… it is not as if this substance or formation has any oil or other worthwhile mineral of which to speak. Surely, there is some new forum that can be started on things of a geologic nature and we, would are far more interested in policy discussions, can leave off having to read more about various strata of mud (hence the dirty Belgian girls) and how it eventually, but barely, becomes a rock-like substance that barely adheres and is prone to cleaving down the middle? In fact, the edges are downright “tatty.” As I recall Belgium is characterized as being 68.75 percent sand, 10.25 percent granite of an inferior quality and thus useful for only things like flat grave markers, 7.85 percent mud of an indistinguishable composition, 6.34 percent decayed peat moss, albeit one that is highly suitable to the cultivation of poppies and burial of scrapped armaments and ammunition, 4.57 percent improperly disposed of trash with the rest being “other.” I surmise that the “other” is primarily some sort of rotting potato mass with an oleaginous substance slathered over it with perhaps trace elements of decaying hops. This unhealthy basis for a land formation thus pollutes the watertable and that is why that statue of a boy fountain seems to be issuing forth an insidious yellow liquid… That or said objet d’art was exposed to some sort of air-borne gaseous substance (swamp gas?) in Central Africa… That is why… at its core (work with me here), the formation is characterized by an intense occularity…

Don’t be silly, Fred.
It’s the age old invasion route and the nation of easy to flout neutrality.

Mind you, after that Leopold, who is not to argue that payback is not indeed a mofo?