Belles, whistles, and eyes in the corner

Finally something we can all agree on. That thing in the corner is SHIT.

And who edited my thread title? It may be ‘funny’ in the technical sense, but that’s not the mods’ job. We have village idiots to do things that make us laugh. Too much creativity is a bad thing. We are conservatives. Do not attempt to be funny or inspiring. Or accessible.

Accessible. Funny word. Surely it means “easy to get IF I WANT IT” rather than “in my face regardless of whether I want it.” It’s a word with connotations of convenience, for the user, rather than deciding for me what I want to see. Perhaps you meant “prominent” or “noticeable” or something?

Surely the best place to advertise this service would be in the thread about online dating sites?

Oh, and another thing. Any front page ad using the words “Signup for FREE!” (with capitalization) is basically telling me that I am not expected to pay anything to use the service. “Use the service,” in my book, means “contact people” but you can’t do that without paying money. It’s a misleading ad, and I would be a good deal less hostile to it if you didn’t insult my intelligence by making false claims. The fact that you have to pay money to use the service is not the issue, the fact that you’re claiming it’s free is disturbing. I would willingly sell my house, car, and children in order to be able to use this service but I won’t ever spend my money with companies that lie to me.

Tealit is free. Taiwanted is free. Forumosa Friends is a service that you have to pay money to obtain the promised benefit from. Make that service, clearly defined, accessible to those who want it and you don’t have a problem. Bugging people with a misleading ad they don’t want to see may increase your profits but it doesn’t make people think well of you. It just makes the site less pleasant to use.

My screen is covered is glue from where I kept trying to stick down that corner of Forumosa that keeps coming loose.

There’s a creepy female eye with wonky eyeliner that only a teenager would wear. You shure have nailed yer demographic. It looks cheap, male-focused and bordering on not-quite-ok.

Seriously though, flob would cease to exist tomorrow if everyone couldn’t look at it at work. It’s in your interests to keep the page as neutral looking as possible, for those of us who aren’t quick enough with the Alt-Tab at work. In the same vein, is there any way I can get rid of the smileys to the left of this window, and the font colour box to the right?

That’s a good point. There should be a poll to see if anyone actually looks at flob outside of the office. Surely most people have better things to do with their time when they’re not obliged to be stuck behind a computer screen?

I am using IE at work, and I can’t really fiddle with it like I could at home, so can’t really set things up the way I would like.

It’s hard to pretend I’m doing important research when there are kiddy dancing yellow things on my screen…

I’ve disabled smilies and avatars, but I still have the cartoon frogs. Makes the site less user-friendly, definitely.

You got rid of the smileys already? How did you do it? Here’s the rather complicated way I did it. RIP should be able to get rid of the frogs too somehow:

[quote=“Buttercup”]…is there any way I can get rid of the smileys to the left of this window, and the font colour box to the right?[/quote]I got halfway there. I got rid of the smileys (well, they appear for half a second then disappear), but haven’t figured out how to get rid of the font colour picker yet.

So, you’re in Firefox, right? Get the Remove It Permanently add-on. Get to the posting page, right-click on a smiley, and select RIP Advanced > Remove from all similar pages, and then right-click again and select RIP Advanced > Parent item only. That should work. Bit of a hassle, though. Something similar should work for the font colours, but I’m not sure exactly which bit to click and which options to choose yet.

No, untweakable IE at work.

Safari and Firefox at home, but not really important at home.

[quote=“Buttercup”]No, untweakable IE at work.

Safari and Firefox at home, but not really important at home.[/quote]Oh well, I suppose you could disable all images in IE then. Bit drastic but might be the only way if you can’t install any add-ons.

Yeah, but that’d b****r up my ‘proper’ work!

FWIW, a couple of blogging friends of mine who have ads tried a similar type thing on their sites and found they annoyed the regulars, lost traffic and didn’t really get many clicks on their peely corner thing.

I didn’t even notice the damn thing and now it bothers me - thanks guys. :fume:

It seems that this ‘folding page’ thing is locking up my computer until it cycles through a fold down. No links work,i.e. ‘view active topics’ until the corner folds down and returns. Then the link become active.

I didn’t notice it until I read this thread… :blush:

Now that I’ve noticed it, I don’t think it’s that intrusive if it works properly. (on my screen it’s in the far RH corner above all the text and the ad goes away after removing the cursor)

It’s done that to me but not all the time. Only at odd random times.

The folding page is not compliant with Windows Mobile 6.1 - the PDA phone (tested 2 of them) shows a part of the 1st page blurry and login is hidden.
Get rid of this guys - I understand you want your commision on Forumosa friends- but don’t do it if it hurts others

I read Forumosa around 50% via my 3G mobile and no, I can’t even go further than the first page… :thumbsdown:

Aaargh!

I just composed a PM to someone special, and stopped for a moment to check on something I opened in another tab. When I came back to my PM all my lovely poetry flickered and vanished. It was there, and then it went as the corner did its thing.

Gosse Egg, please turn it off. And stop fiddling with things!

I’d just like to add that I don’t like the eye/page curl thing in the corner. It’s not causing trouble for me using the site, but it’s very anoying and distracting and irritating and it’s gettin on my nerves that I can’t use the scroll up function, or access my tools option, or page option, or settings, or anything in the top right side of my screen witout mousing over the damn thing.

PLEASSSE–can it just go away?

It keeps getting ‘stuck’ and I click on it by accident. Please don’t mistake this as an interest in Flobsh*gs.com

(Love sonnet to Loretta

Shall I compare the to a summers’ day?
Thou art sweaty and covered in bugs enough.

Thank you very much.)

It is gone. Magic!