Benefits for Sending Money Home if You Have Parents Over 60

Technically speaking, it’s not a “deduction”; it appears on the “exemption” list near the top of the tax form. And the amounts are clearly indicated on the form: NT$88,000 for each dependent (this would include a “lineal ascendant” aka a parent), going up to NT$132,000 for dependents (in this case parents) aged 70 and up.

Note, as always, that these exemptions only apply for tax residents of Taiwan—that is, among noncitizens, those who have spent the magic 183 days in Taiwan during the relevant taxation year.

Cheers,
Guy

2 Likes

In that case, I’ll bring the photo of the expired passport plus the current driver’s license. I’ve always brought the following things and have been always able to get the tax exemption.

1. bank statement showing that it’s a joint account between myself and my mother
  2. photocopy of her passport (or rather printed off photo of it)
  3. bank wire transfer receipts
  4. birth certificate proving relationship (even though it includes her maiden name)

I’ve always gone to the main tax office in Taipei City near Beimen station. Never needed to show receipts of financial transactions for “proof of life” such as bills or other things as some have described here. But as we all know, in Taiwan, the only thing that is consistent is inconsistency.

4 Likes

so reporting back… went to the tax office last week and everything worked like a charm. Copy of driver’s license was sufficient, they weren’t interested in the expired passport.

6 Likes

Excellent! Every bit helps.

Guy

1 Like