Best American Food in Taipei

Lucky you. last time I was in Japan was Fall 1998. My uncle is a retired journalist living in Tokyo (43 years) with his Japanese wife.

Whoever submitted the post regarding Amaroni’s being a restaurant at all should have their tongue examined.

The service is crap.

2 years ago, when it opened, the atmosphere was great. You have to like corny Italian music, but hey and the food was solid.

1 year ago the service became more and more well local in style and the food was still ok but not great

This year the portions have shrunk, the quality of the food is terrible and the staff have meetings at 12:00 noon. Cannot believe that this restaurant is managed by the same people as Dan Ryan’s which is pretty solid for the most part. Great cuisine it ain’t but well made it is. I remember the original carpaccio salad absolutely loaded with beef. Now you get (no joke) iceberg lettuce and this is covered with exactly one thin slice of beef across the top. Must be trying to cut corners but wow does it show.

Amaroni’s is now after several disappoint experiences high on my list of those to be avoided.

Galliano’s is another (more like a Taiwanese coffee shop in terms of food preparation) and the worst of the worst is Papa Giovanni’s, not because the food is bad but because the service is beyond psycho. The owner and brother should take courses in anger management or go back into the Mafia.

With so many good Italian restaurants in Taipei: L’Amico, Tutto Bello (bit dark though), La Giara, Toscana (American style Italian) in Sherwood, or for pizza Cosi a Cosi or Paco’s (latter a bit pricey) and Giorgio (cheap solid), why go to these three at all?

Have not been to Osteria Rialto for a while. Have they improved (2 locations). Last time I was there the salad served was iceberg lettuce and the pasta was okay. Anybody?

If Fred or anyone could fill me in with some locations on these 3 I’d appreciate it. Is Giorgio a pizza joint?

TKS