Best and worst comedians

Just watched this last last night. I thought she was great, quite insightful. Really weird outfit though. Really.

It ties into her ethos, mebelieves.

no doubt. She has a six pack. Fierce for sure.

Yeah, he drinks a fair bit. Talks about being into hard drugs too. He seems to not do them anymore but his cavalier attitude about it also makes you wonder. Could be just for laughs… may not be. I am also slightly annoyed by how much he puts on the accent. You can catch him in conversation where he uses his regular speaking voice. He does have a thick Australian accent but not THAT thick. Otherwise, I like him enough.

Iliza Shlesinger’s been around for a minute. She has 3 - maybe 4(?) - specials on Netflix, if you search her name.

Ya, binged her right on back after Millennial. That’s why I am surprised she’s stayed off my radar for so long. Between her, Hannah Gadsby, The Handmaids and those women in orange, (not to mention that clown in orange), I’m starting to think white guys are pretty much shite.

Gervais pounds pints on stage, Chapelle vapes, and well, Dean Martin and Foster Brooks…tradition. Don’t see why this would irk you off his message. Is it that the message is critical of America and your ears don’t enjoy furrin accents making such comments? Sincerely asking, cuz there are plenty of red, white and blue ears out there that are quite offended by critique from without.

I think it was Entourage that ruined it for everyone.

Iliza was on the Kevin & Bean show in LA last Thursday, if you’re interested. 9 minutes.

1 Like

No. I think it shows a lack of professionalism, which granted may be exacerbated by the fact as gaboman says, that he might be using the drinking to prop up his drinking drugging stories. Either way…meh. I think my brain thinks he’s being disingenuous. My gut says he’s probably a jerk irl. Dave vapes, but what does he vape? I recall Robin Williams’ cocaine fueld HBO special in the 1980s. Wow…what a mess that guy was…but funnnnnnny.

As for offending my nationalistic sensibilities, I guess you are talking about his gun rant? Again…meh. Bill Burr’s take on guns in America is far funnier, which is the point of stand up, yeah? So, before I overthink this, JJ goes for shock humor, calling his kid a c8nt for effect for example. It’s low hanging fruit.

I was watching a talky news show on TYT the other day and one of the heads was saying a female comedian had decided to not tell any more jokes. And that was her show…just spouting off a la John Stewart in the day. I like my news to be newsy and my stand up to funny. I’m funny that way. Same reason I give Sam B’s show a wide pass no matter how many times her commercial says she’s the funniest thing on TV. Not while Wicked Tuna lives, she’s not.

That said, I am willing to give Michelle Wolf a go for the sake of fairness to the art form. The dust from the Correspondant’s Dinner has settled. lol

In Jim Jefferies case, it doesn’t help that the Australian accent is the result of generations of alcohol abuse. Ricky Gervais does indeed tend to have a Fosters (gross) tallboy on stage but he doesn’t seem half as inebriated.

I really liked Jim Jefferies’ gun bit. And his follow ups. And his talk show in general. Usually makes me laugh. But, yeah, I was going to mention him calling his son a c*nt. I don’t care, per se, but it’s not something that I’m going to laugh at. His new special on Netflix was just okay, although I do feel the story he tells at the end tipped it over the edge of being what I’d call ‘great’. Really made me laugh.

I’m just listening to a Bill Burr bit on gun control. I don’t know if it’s the one you’re talking about, but it’s not doing much for me. He’s making okay points, just not funny. Don’t think he’s trying, though. He seems to have a lot of them, though, so I doubt it’s the same one. I just find him okay, but I typically don’t like angry comedy (with a few exceptions).

Been watching a lot of 8 out of 10 Cats recently (as well as its ‘Does Countdown’ sibling show). Not sure why I started, just randomly stumbled across its existence on the webs.

Jimmy Carr is great on both shows which made me tune in to his Netflix special. Entertaining, but not super. I like one liners mixed in with longer stories, of which there really isn’t any in his set.

Anyone here like Stewart Lee?

Looks like Michelle Wolf’s Netflix gig has been cancelled, due to low viewership numbers. (that’s a FOX news link for those of you who are allergic)

Along with a show featuring Joel McHale, whoever that is.

Edgy stand-up comedy - on a schedule - may be the hardest line to walk in Western entertainment.

guess her jokes at WH Correspondents’ Dinner flushed half of her potential audience down the toilet.

The man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2n34eeXWjUQ

2 Likes

There are only American comedians? It should be put in the header.

Spoke too soon. She’s been cancelled.

Here’s one. Actually, I’m not a fan except for his Ben Carson impersonation. Hadn’t seen this–Ben Carson gains a few points in my estimation for having the fortitude to participate here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUtVNXmE-LA

I’m a “man” with limited tastes. Best of the best (brilliant separately, but when combined together even better). Norm MacDonald and Dennis Miller.

https://youtu.be/R0d6oH5Lumc

Looks like Louis CK is trying to make a comeback

The worst, Tim Minchin.

I would crawl across two miles of broken glass just to punch this man in the face. That said, middle aged housewives seem to love him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVN_0qvuhhw&ab_channel=TimMinchin