Best and worst comedians

Doesn’t seem to be going over very well with the mandarins of PC, who are in a huff that he didn’t clear his sins with them first.

Louis CK if a funny guy. If you’re a woman then I wouldn’t advise being alone with him in a room with a door, but if you’re catching his act there are no issues.

Glad to see him back. Hopefully the mandarins will fail in their attempts to gain control over him.

1 Like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPxKW7RR7h0

1 Like

Jim Jeffries will play Taipei Jan. 10th.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVDYXB-der0

1 Like

Jim Gaffigan in Taipei March 31 at CPC Convention Center. Heeee’s funny, but looks sick (whispering).

Murphy never had anything on Pryor, even at his peak in the 80s. Actually, I think his brother Charlie Murphy (RIP) was much funnier than him.

He doesn’t have much material for me to say one way or another, but holy crap his Chappelle bits are legendary.

I used to love Eddie Murphy Raw but never liked Delirious. Neither of them have aged well. His albums in general… nup. But if you play Boogie in Your Butt, I’ll probably bop my head along a bit.

Jim Jefferies is this Thursday. I haven’t bought tickets but keep thinking I should check if they’re still available.

1 Like

Love Jim Jeffries. First got into him through the Opie & Anthony show. His bit about getting punched on stage is legendary.

1 Like

It rings a bell, but when I googled it I only got the video of him actually getting punched on stage. You know where to find it? (EDIT: I think it’s on Freedumb, I’ll rewatch it on Netflix sometime)

He has a podcast every week now. Technically they talk about his TV show, but mostly it’s Jim complaining about how much the bread sucks in the US and calling people in the room ugly. I used to think he was faking the accent but after the podcast I realized, while he kind of ‘bungs it on’, that’s basically how he sounds.

Who here merembers seeing JJ back at Carnegies, 15 odd years ago? He was a total unknown at the time.

1 Like

That’d be an experience. He must’ve been okay to be able to remember him. I’ve seen a lot of unknown comics before and I swear if any of them became big I wouldn’t remember seeing them. But then none of them will ever be big either.

There was one guy I saw opening for Bobcat Goldthwait that was just the worst. I’d rather see Tiffany Haddish on New Years Eve than sit through his lame jokes again.

It used to be on YouTube. I tried looking for it and couldn’t find it though. It probably got removed.

Also love Colin Quinn, Bill Burr and Jim Norton.

I found it about 45 minutes into his special “Contraband” which is on youtube. It’s not a great one, but shows you where he was going. But similar to what I said earlier, his voice was completely different 10 years ago. Plus he’s gotten so much better. I guess even if this is a persona he’s putting on, it’s more likable than what he was back then.

Eh. I liked his early stuff. It was unpolished, but very raw.

It’s always been a persona. I talked to him before his set at Carnegies and there was no way of knowing that was his persona. He was very polite and very quiet but once he went on stage he became a different person.

Oh yeah, it was funny enough. I think he peaked at “Bare” though (Netflix special but not on the Taiwan Netflix, unfortunately). His new one’s okay, but the highlight of that is his Mariah Carey/James Packer story.

Well, right, I always assumed so. But you listen to his podcast and interviews and such, I think he does show the real him plenty and it’s fairly similar to his more recent stage persona.

It’s a fascinating subject how on-stage personas can takeover a person. Johnny Vegas is a guy who openly admits his persona took over his life and almost destroyed him.

It seems like Andy Kaufman’s personas took him over. Hard to say who the real Kaufman was.

1 Like

Hell, Andy Kaufman’s personality took over Jim Carrey. Powerful thing that.

1 Like

Sacha Baron Cohen and Stephen Colbert are two others who really lose themselves in their characters.