Best Bank in Taiwan

Which Bank In Taiwan has the best service?

• HSBC
  • Citibank
  • Tai Hsin Bank
  • Chang Hua Bank
  • ICBC
  • Post Office
  • Shanghai SVS + Comm. Bk
  • China Trust

0 voters

So Guys and Galls,

which bank in your opinion is the best in Taiwan? I’ll add other suggestions if you add them to the list. Tell us about your best bank experience here!

Kenneth

This has been done before.
Probably many times.
I use China Trust; they have machines in every 7/11.

You need to add Taipei Fubon I think.

Where is E.Sun? The only local bank that I know of that regularly sends its management abroad to learn from other banks.

For business I would say HSBC they have been great,

for personal use the best bank could probably be debated forever… :sunglasses:

ICBC is a great bank, by 1970’s standards. They wouldn’t last a month in the North American market with their current standard of service.

no new bank would last a month in the US market… dont know about Canada

For personal use isn’t the answer invariably “the same one your company uses”.

I just got an account with Fubon and am quite happy.
The IC card carries a VISA logo which means you can use it as a debit card.
(You may have to phone or visit a branch to get it activated)
As a nice touch you get an SMS message whenever it is used which makes me feel more secure.

Also the account comes set up for Internet banking. Chinese interface only, but for simple things like checking your balance its easy enough to navigate.

Actually, there haven’t been any other polls on ‘best banks’, just one poll on ‘worst’ banks…

forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … oll#317742

I thought we should accentuate the positive here instead of complain about banks! Let’s try to look for something good!

Kenneth

My experience with Taiwanese banks is that they are more or less passable for basic services.

apart from that, hard luck.

I use Chang Hwa for personal stuff and UBOT for business. UBOT has managed to screw up transfers twice in a row.

Re hsbc having good service i would beg to differ. I think for consumers and small or medium-sized businesses (rev under US$20 mill) HSBC charges a lot and has relatively poor service. This has been my experience as well as that of friends who run small and medium sized companies. It probably makes more sense to buy hsbc shares rather than put money in the bank.

If you have an account with HSBC in Taiwan, does that allow you to make withdrawals at ATMS in Hong Kong and the US, where there are also HSBC branches?

I tried that with my BofA card, and was told the US entity is separate from the Asia entity. completely different companies, so no, they could not give me any service.

Dunno about HSBC, but I suspect it is likely vis a vis Taiwan and HK, but not vis a vis the US.

yes you can withdraw from your US account w HSBC. Use the old 5-digit pin number, not the new 7-digit pin number that was recently introduced. I found out the hard way that the Taiwan pin number doesn’t work and that HSBC customer service in the US is lousy. If you’re in the US and your pin doesnt work, sometimes if you tell them that you’re a platinum member in Taiwan (or whatever is the highest grade consumer card) then they may treat you better.
The hsbc bank staff in Taiwan are polite and can help, however gloabally unless you’re a big fish, hsbc doesnt provide much service. Faking a scottish accent doesnt seem to pull much weight. :wink:

Hope this helps.

I can pay overdue bills at ICBC.

By the way, are there any banks in Taiwan that are open later than the mind-boggling closing time of 3:30 pm? :fume:

At home, they’re generally open to 5:00pm M-Th, 6:00 or later on Fridays, and until noon Saturdays.

[quote=“Chris”]I can pay overdue bills at ICBC.

By the way, are there any banks in Taiwan that are open later than the mind-boggling closing time of 3:30 pm? :fume:

At home, they’re generally open to 5:00pm M-Th, 6:00 or later on Fridays, and until noon Saturdays.[/quote]

Chinatrust normally stays open until 7pm monday - friday

I’ve been reasonably happy with En Tie Commercial Bank for both personal and business banking.

What is the minimum you can have in your saving account?

Hell of a grave dig. Which bank? In TWD or Nicaraguan córdoba?

1 Like

Define “saving account.”