Best brand of used car 250k and under?

Okay, I just read ‘150k and under’, but suppose somebody had a bit more money to play with. I’d be looking for something practical, practical, practical. Something newer, good on gas, reliable, decent resale value, and not to pricey to fix. Nothing fancy. I’ve been looking at Toyota Altis and Vios. (I don’t mind that Vios is a more compact, but how gutless is it?) Civics seem great, but the newer models are more costly. My girlfriend loves the Colt Plus, but those are pricey, too. (and she’s already vitoed the Nissan March) Suggestions?

Toyota Altis, Suzuki Solio, Nissan Sentra, Mazda Isamu, Civics as you say are more expensive for a newer one and older ones are almost impossible to find in good condition. I prefer the Altis to the Vios as the Altis is bigger and costs the same money. The Vios is a little too small considering it neither has a hatch to make up for it.

250k was my budget, and I found some 5-7 year old Civics at that price point at the Honda second hand lot. I waited too long and they were all snatched up.

Vios, at 1.5L, has no balls, but you don’t really need more than that in Taiwan because the speed limits are shamefully low and scooters are always in your way.

In the end, I increased my budget a bit more and bought a 2 year old Focus 1.8L.

As a previous Civic owner, I’d recommend going to a Honda lot and seeing what’s in your range.

I also recommend working with Sulavaca. His service will give you peace of mind and save you money, both short and long term.

Sure, until you find yourself in packed car stuck doing 20 up the side of a mountain with line of cars behind you honking.

I think you’re right though, there seems to be a lot better selection over 300k. Are you happy with your Focus?

Sure, until you find yourself in packed car stuck doing 20 up the side of a mountain with line of cars behind you honking.

I think you’re right though, there seems to be a lot better selection over 300k. Are you happy with your Focus?[/quote]

I’m very happy with the Focus. The acceleration is good, the handling is tight, and the black leather and tinted windows give it that pimp feel. Fuel economy also seems good, but I haven’t really done any calculations.

[quote=“crowsnatcher”]
Sure, until you find yourself in packed car stuck doing 20 up the side of a mountain with line of cars behind you honking.[/quote]
Here’s a revolutionary idea… pull over for a second and let the line of cars stuck on your ass pass you! You’ll feel good about doing it, and you may be the first person in Taiwan ever to try that maneuver!

[quote=“redwagon”][quote=“crowsnatcher”]
Sure, until you find yourself in packed car stuck doing 20 up the side of a mountain with line of cars behind you honking.[/quote]
Here’s a revolutionary idea… pull over for a second and let the line of cars stuck on your ass pass you! You’ll feel good about doing it, and you may be the first person in Taiwan ever to try that maneuver![/quote]

You’re then probably going to end up with a line of cars behind you with drivers looking dumbfounded and still stuck there wondering why you’ve just done it. “It’s a trick!” “I just know it!” :laughing:

[quote=“redwagon”][quote=“crowsnatcher”]
Here’s a revolutionary idea… pull over for a second and let the line of cars stuck on your ass pass you! You’ll feel good about doing it, and you may be the first person in Taiwan ever to try that maneuver![/quote]

Umm… isn’t the “side” on mountain roads usually a steep dropoff or a sheer scale of rock, sometimes flanked by an open sewer? I’d rather avoid both.

With regard to the car question, my vote is for a Nissan Sentra, Toyota Vios or Toyota Altis. We have a Sentra and we’re very happy with it; we got it for just under 100K, too!

Some attempt to get back on topic…

Would I be considered nuts to be looking at 3.5liter Cefiro in this price range? I hate small displacement sedans, this engine has a stellar reputation for reliability, and for that I don’t mind paying the extra tax. It should also move out pretty well for an average beater.

What say the experts?

I think that 250,000 is too much for a Cefiro MJB. Personally I don’t see much point to a 3.5liter Cefiro either. It would use a lot of fuel, but I wouldn’t expect it to be in the next episode of Tokyo Drift. Personally I would be sticking with the 2.0 for a lower price, or going up in price to a newer range of vehicles.

Toyota Altis is the best choice for the price but i am not sure if you can get the 1.8 liter for that amount.