Best city in Taiwan?

I’d just like to second and third all of those opinions about not living in an isolated little village. I’m about to leave a small village in Yilan county. Even with my reasonably fluent Chinese and scooter, I went absolutely stir-crazy from the lack of things to do and lack of interesting people to talk with. Let’s just say that my pool game has improved immensely from playing by myself in pool halls nearly every night.

Admittedly, Yilan county can be really pretty at times, but only when it’s sunny. Unfortunately, the rain is worse than Seattle out here.

Rural and art and live music… hmm, that is a very difficult combination.

You can make money in a rural location, I know several english teachers running bushibans here. Moreover, there are always teaching gigs.

I would worry about what I was to do when not teaching.

If you have no interest in the local culture and language, and you’re just in Taiwan to earn a quick buck, Taipei is probably the most western city.

Even if you are interested in local culture and language, Taipei may still be the best bet. Taiwanese is so predominant or intermixed with Mandarin in central and southern Taiwan that it can be hard understanding conversations easily. If you’re learning Taiwanese, the rural south would be a total blast. For the rest of the expat universe, go to Taipei.

It’s easy to get away from the city life in Taipei, whether it’s a little hop up to the mountains or a trip to a nearby beach or a trip to a more suburban town nearby. But I’d rather live in a happening city and take weekend trips to the countryside rather than the reverse. You’re more likely to feel isolated and stir crazy in rural areas as an expat without the same understanding, connections and resources that locals have.

Live in Taichung county. It’s not far to get to Taichung city when you want to get down with your bad self at the weekend. It’s very central. You can get to Taipei or Kaoshiung relatively easily.

The air is cleaner and the weather is better.

Want a job?