Best club in taiwan?

Hey guys,

I’ll be heading to Taipei this July for a short holiday and I was planning on visiting some of the more established clubs in Taipei. I was born in Singapore and did my
secondary education in Australia plus I am currently based in Switzerland doing my degree. The nightlife scenes in these countries are quite reputable, but if what I
hear is correct, it’s nothing compared to the one in Taiwan! :slight_smile:

As it’s my first time in Taiwan I would really like to experience the best that Taipei has to offer and would like to seek your advice on where I should head. I have set
aside 2 nights for clubbing purposes, wednesday 7th July & thursday 8th July. There have been so many clubs recommended to me i.e) Luxy, Room18, Mint, Primo etc
and I am really not sure which is the best.

If any of you would like to meet up, I’d be more than willing. I wouldn’t mind covering your door charge or buying you a few drinks in return for the help. I’m 19 by the way, and I’ll be coming with another guy friend, so perhaps your could suggest somewhere appropriate for my age group. So if anyone has any suggestions please do let me know. Email is roychenht@yahoo.com

Thanks a bunch. :bow:

I can taste the xiao long bao already.

[quote=“roychenht”]The nightlife scenes in these countries are quite reputable, but if what I
hear is correct, it’s nothing compared to the one in Taiwan! :slight_smile:

As it’s my first time in Taiwan I would really like to experience the best that Taipei has to offer and would like to seek your advice on where I should head. [/quote]

Uhm, for what reputation are you looking (High Standards or do you more mean easy to flirt & get laid?)… and what music do you like?

I guess based on those 2 things some of the clubbing experts here (I am not, as I like Rock / Heavy Metal, and clubs mostly aren’t that) can give some hints.

A good clubbing experience in general, perhaps chatting up a beauty or two. No actual need to bring them home or anything. Perhaps a somewhere where the girls are up for a decent conversation and a bit of dancing? Oh, I kinda like rock too. Are they any good live band venues in Taipei?

Check www.waakao.com

[quote=“roychenht”]The nightlife scenes in these countries are quite reputable, but if what I
hear is correct, it’s nothing compared to the one in Taiwan! :slight_smile: [/quote] :ohreally: :ponder: :no-no:

That’s news to me. I don’t know where you’re getting your information, but the club scene in Taiwan is dreadful. For a city of it’s size, I was expecting a decent scene, but boy was I wrong. Now, if you just want to have a good time, that won’t be a problem. Luxy, Room 18, Lava, and Primo are the standard for a Friday or Saturday night club. The bar scene is just as bad. Roxy 99 is the current late night establishment. If you want some more info you can PM or just check waakao.com.

But whoever is telling you Taiwanese clubs are world class…well, they’re wrong

Look the guy can say what he wants, but let’s face it, when you’re 19 and your friends are roughly that age group, a good club is defined as cheap-ish booze, good music, and easy sex. And for those things (well, cheap booze maybe not, tho I recall Lava et al have those US$20 entry fees for unlimited shitty beer), Taiwan’s pretty good to the average western boy. Certainly the poon is quick here, and the average attractiveness quality is better than the US (excluding breastesses). Something to do with the ratio of single local girls to average looking or above western guys.

I’d certainly recommend Taiwan to younger friends looking for easy decent club meets. Though I personally prefer(red) the quality and volume of Thailand…

So for those purposes, Lava, Luxy, even the monkey on ladies night fit the bill.

Look the guy can say what he wants, but let’s face it, when you’re 19 and your friends are roughly that age group, a good club is defined as cheap-ish booze, good music, and easy sex.[/quote]

Taiwanese clubs can be pretty damn expensive if you ask me. You’re right about the entry charge, but I have never seen an all you can drink night at any of the clubs I mentioned. All you can drink clubs exist in Taipei, and they can be pretty damn fun. But the music at the AYCD places is horrendous, unless you dig a closed loop of Lady Gaga, Rihanna, and Flo Rida.

I took the OP’s question to mean similar to clubs you would find in Singapore or Sydney. I don’t think Luxy or Room 18 can compare to even an average club in those cities, which is what it seems like he was looking for. But you make a good point and I should have been clearer.

The hardware is one thing, the software is another. Taipei girls be good !! Thats all he needs (to know).
:smiley:

[quote=“tommy525”]The hardware is one thing, the software is another. Taipei girls be good !! Thats all he needs (to know).
:smiley:[/quote]
Unless you are forced to listen to Abba or Dexy’s Midnight Runners all night.

I’d put up with Rihanna for a decent patch of poon. Not that abysmal hog-faced freak Lady Gaga though - at my age I’d rather rub one out (I should add that to the euphemism thread). But if I were still 19 I’d probably put up with a cheese grater over my num nums for poon. Lava used to be NT600 AYCD (the one time I went abt 3 years ago) and it was Heinie I believe, though it was a pain in the ass crawling through the humanity just to get a cup of that ass-crack tasting beer.

I’d listen to Abba or DMR in a loop without the promise of poon, and I think I actually have. But not at 19.

I’d put up with Rihanna for a decent patch of poon. Not that abysmal hog-faced freak Lady Gaga though - at my age I’d rather rub one out (I should add that to the euphemism thread). But if I were still 19 I’d probably put up with a cheese grater over my num nums for poon. Lava used to be NT600 AYCD (the one time I went abt 3 years ago) and it was Heinie I believe, though it was a pain in the ass crawling through the humanity just to get a cup of that ass-crack tasting beer.

I’d listen to Abba or DMR in a loop without the promise of poon, and I think I actually have. But not at 19.[/quote]

All you can drink places sort of suck. I can hardly get a buzz in Wax when I go there. I need to stand in line so long to get a drink.

I like going to Wax on a Wednesday due to the fact that there are a variety of people not just Taiwanese girls. Some may say that the music sucks but I go out to drink and meet people. If I wanted to listen to good music I would stay at home.

[quote=“TwoTongues”]Taiwan’s pretty good to the average western boy.[/quote] Seems like the OP is an eastern looking boy… Nothing wrong with that, but the whitey bonus doesn’t apply instantly.

For Rock I would try Roxy99 on Wednesdays’ Rock night, or Roxy Roots (more of a bar I guess would be the best description). There is a thing called Roxy Rocker as well recently (1 year?), but I don’t know it.

Unfortunately, everywhere the music is too loud to know if anyone wants a decent conversation. Dancing should be OK there, I don’t do bar pickup or chatting up girrls though, so can’t comment on that…and beauty is in the eye of the beholder… so check those out. Also, on certain nights you might like the live houses like The Wall and Velvet Underground. Or if you enjoy Rammstein Karaoke in a not too loud bar with not too good food, try “Anyway”… or whatever it’s called… gotta look it up…

Oops my bad

Roxy rocker is awesome, its got an orange sign on the north side of He Ping about two blocks east of Shi Da. It’s a real big bar, which plays classic rock, heavy metal, hop hop depending on the night - and they take requests all night - and then they’ve got a glass enclosed room with maybe 10,000 LP albums from the 60s, 70s, 80s, and 90s, and you can page through them and bring em up to the glass room DJ and he’ll spin your song for you. Frickin awesome (or freakin’ amazing :discodance: ). Not much of a pickup place the 3 times I been there, but it wasn’t very busy either. Mojitos were good, pitcher of Taiwan beer was a good price.

Perhaps I shall try out one of the regular clubs ie. Luxy and one of them AYCD ones. Well, to be honest. The clubs here in Singapore sucks balls. It’s mostly a large dancefloor with rings of 10 guys gyrating around the same woman. It’s nasty I tell you. I’m not sure how much truth there is in this, but I’ve that a fair number of local taiwanese chicks dig english speaking foreigners? Almost to the sense that they flock to you if they know you ain’t local. I’m not looking to get laid or anything (I’m sharing a hotel room with my guy friend, that’ll be a tad too awkward) but maybe a little dancing in the club. Are they approachable like that?

And to clear things up, I am an asian. Chinese korean to be exact but born in Singapore, schooled in HK and Australia, currently in Switzerland. =)

That’s for sure not true, at least to my experience. Maybe it is just me looking too fugly :wink: but definitely no locals were flocking to me, or any other foreigner I saw there. I didn’t try attracting any, though - and that probably is the point why no one came flocking :wink:

At least where I saw, there should be a good amount of female dancers though, not like you described.

Again, I have no personal experience, but from what I saw, and what people say and write I think I can gather the following:

• English speaking is probably not the key to immediate attention, but (as racist as it is) “western looking” seems to make even thorough assholes attractive to some of the local club-going population

• That said, non-local English speaking Asians like for example ABCs seem to be quite well liked here, but I guess that’s more for friendships or relationships, not really much use at having a good time dancing and talking (if possible) in a club

• Dress up (I dressed very casual, so they probably thought I am “just” one more English teacher, which some girls seem not to be so interested in (I guess they want richer than that?)

But don’t worry: As long as you know how to dress, smell, look, act, and maybe even dance well, you should have no problem enjoying clubbing here. If you want to talk, you better speak good mandarin, though :wink:

Good luck, and I wish you enjoy your stay here!

^^^^
Follow this piece of advice and you should be fine. Mandarin isn’t actually a necessity but of course it’s a plus. Many of the other posts are very subjective, based on each posters, well, objective (music vs. poon vs. dancing vs. cheap drinks vs. conversation, etc.).

For me, I generally like quality eye candy, the chance to pick up, and good girl/guy ratio, with budget not being too much of a concern. On this front I’d suggest Spark (Tapei 101 B1), Primo, Room 18 or Luxy, with good warm-up bars being Barcode or Opus. Girls showing curves and skin, crowd dressed for a high-profiile clubbing night out, “be seen” atmosphere. When I’m in the mood for cheaper drinks, more casual pace, and the music not quite blaring, I’ll hit Roxy 99. Very well lit (read: daytime bright), guys in shorts, girls in jeans and no make-up, and drink specials. Athough, if you’re in the mood for that type of night out it’s just fine. The all you can drink clubs I’ve been to are Lava, Pasoul, and Wax. Younger crowd (18-20ish), ratio is more guys to girls, and I’d rate the three in the order I listed them in terms of crowd/girl quality. Your description of Singapore sounds like many clubs in L.A.: big groups of guys dancing around a smaller group of girls who are dancing around a pile of their own purses and high heels. Eck. If that’s the case you should find Taiwan clubs a lot of fun.

Well thanks for the advice. I will heed what has been written and dress to impress and hit some mentioned clubs.

Clubbing is a bore In Singapore, shall have to wait and see how Taiwan fairs. Thanks again!

You need to ask that dude Androw from 一週刊 where you should go. He gets all the womens.

The best strategy is to get in with a large group of people, go out, and occupy the club. Make your own fun. The lone wolf approach is romantic in stories but usually results in a boring night.

Don’t go to Luxy man. Luxy sucks. It’s just so cavernous. That and it gets really packed and it’s practically impossible to buy a drink at that circular bar in the main room. The Onyx room plays great music, but everybody usually just stands around.

Go to Room 18 or Mint…maybe Primo

I’ve heard of Room 18, but where are Mint and Primo located?