Best console of all time? Nostalgia Fanboys Unite!

What is the best console of all time?

• Intellivision
  • Atari 2600
  • Atari 5200
  • Atari 7800
  • Colecovision
  • Commodore 64
  • NES
  • Master System
  • TurboGrafx
  • Sega Genesis
  • Super NES
  • Atari Jaguar
  • Sega Saturn
  • N64
  • Dreamcast
  • Playstation 1
  • Gamecube
  • Playstation 2
  • Xbox

0 voters

Alright there’s been a lot of talk about xbox, PS2, gamecube and next gen stuff but what about the good old days.

I still remember bashing away for hours at my C64 playing Green Beret, Commando, Wizard of Wor, and Spy vs Spy. I spent more hours on that thing than any console to date.

So vote away…

btw I realise this poll may not be entirely comprehensive. I’ve tried to list the most of the popular ones.

never forget getting the old nintendo. the atari had started to get fun with games from places like activision but it went right into the closet never to be seen again

The NES was good, the N64, Dreamcast, and PSX were impressive leaps in technology, but the SNES was the Golden Age of gaming. It was then that gaming really started to develop, and the SNES/SFC was home to some of the all-time classic games (Super Metroid, SMW, Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, Super Mario Kart, Terranigma, etc.)

wot 'bout us Brits?

We 'ad a fyew games consoles of our own!

How’s about the Spectrum from Sinclair?
The dragon computer and of course the BBC computer?

Some of them were popular for games!

Kenneth

Have you tried playing any of those old Atari 2600 games lately? Man…talk about fond nostalgia being shattered by brutal reality. Loved’em when I was a kid, but by modern standards the ultra-low-tech graphics (a bunch of squiggly dots jerking around the screen) and limited gameplay make them unplayable for more than a couple of minutes.

The SNES games, on the other hand, still hold up. That was the golden age of two-dimensional scrolling action - the Super Mario series, Castlevania, Super Metroid, Contra, Double Dragon, etc.

the BBC rocked!

i remember having one in primary school and constantly playing Grannies Garden and Pod.

pod was a game where you told this fat tomato what to do. Eg. you’d type in “Pod can jump” - and he would jump. still remember the time i got a smack from my teacher for typing in “pod can do a poo”

Likely one of many but . . .

retro-games.co.uk/

This game was awsome: ebgames.com/ebx/product/118150.asp :whistle:
As was its sequal on the Mega-CD, but never got released because the format died before it was finished.
This one’s not bad either: retropassion.co.uk/retro/online_ … _id=205&os Enter my initials into the password system for infinite men.

[quote=“mod lang”]The SNES games, on the other hand, still hold up. That was the golden age of two-dimensional scrolling action - the Super Mario series, Castlevania, Super Metroid, Contra, Double Dragon, etc.[/quote]Something else occured to me the other day:

The 16-bit era was pretty much the twilight of game music. I mean seriously, the music from games in the 8- and 16-bit era was so recognizable, so memorable. Play the first few notes of the theme from Super Mario Bros. or Legend of Zelda or Sonic the Hedgehog and people recognize it. Could you really say the same for music in games now? Now it’s mostly either bland and generic or the latest Top 40 hits. There are some that still show originality and awesomeness, but I really don’t think they’re memorable now.

i still remember the theme song to commando on c64. made me want to go out and kill a whole bunch of people.

some new titles do have decent sound tracks eg. Rez and Vib Ribbon. not quite as memorable as mario though!

[quote=“KenTaiwan98”]wot 'bout us Brits?

We 'ad a fyew games consoles of our own!

How’s about the Spectrum from Sinclair?
The dragon computer and of course the BBC computer?

Some of them were popular for games!

Kenneth[/quote]

Woohoo! I had a ZX Spectrum 48K. That’s right, baby. 48K!
8 colours! That’s right! 8! (though you could only ever mix 2 in an 8x8 group of pixels).

Favourite game? “Atic Atac”. Still play it on my PC from time to time. GREAT game!

I remember putting the cassette into a tape player and waiting for 5 minutes every time I wanted to load a game. I’ll tell you what, though. It was quite a step up from my Etch-a-Sketch. Man, those were the days :stuck_out_tongue:

well i guess this poll is dead and the result is in

SNES WINS! :bravo:

The Spectrum would’ve won if it’d been an option. :raspberry:

maybe next time eh? :laughing: