Best Cooked Chicken in Taipei

Which supermarket do you think has the best prepared whole chicken? I’ve tried the Far Eastern City Super and Carrefore. Carrefore is awful, Taiwanese BBQ flavor, while the City Super birds are very nice, and the flavors change. I’ve had curry, rosemary, and something I can’t identify.

How about Jason’s or Breeze?

Not from a supermarket, I know, but the chicken cooked in the metal drums is awesome. Think it’s called 'tong dz ji". There are lots of places you can get it - like the roadside restaurants on the way to Wulai. We always pick up a whole cooked chicken whenever we pass there. Supermarkets, well, I think the roast chicken in Costco was quite good.

I think Jason’s is great, although admittedly I haven’t actually tried anywhere else. The rosemary one is very nice. Occasionally they will be a little raw close to the bone, but nothing a quick nuking won’t fix.

By the way, how much are chickens at these other places? they are $280 at City Super.

$250 at Jason’s. But (and I know this sounds weird) the size varies. They let you pick your chicken, so if you go at the end of the day you’ll get a noticeably smaller one than if you go earlier :laughing:

Costco is way cheaper than that. Seems about half the price. And they’re pretty good.

Wellcome’s chickens are not bad, in a pinch.

This is when I start to miss Korea.

It seems like nobody really gives a damn about chicken!

I don’t usually buy cooked chicken except from Costco, and I think their chicken’s pretty good.

I would guess that most people buy their chicken uncooked and cook it at home.

[quote=“wipt”]It seems like nobody really gives a damn about chicken!

I don’t usually buy cooked chicken except from Costco, and I think their chicken’s pretty good.

I would guess that most people buy their chicken uncooked and cook it at home.[/quote]

190 views for this thread. I’d say people most definitely care about their chickens, er, chickens.

Anyway, I have the info I wanted. City Super is expensive, which I knew already, but as it is closer to me here in Mucha than Breeze, Jasons, or Costco, I will continue to go there. As for cooking chicken at home, has anyone ever done it successfully in the ovens most of us have here? I don’t mean cooking a piece or two but a whole bird.

[the following process may be a bit scary, but the results are well worth it)

how to prepare a chicken for baking

you will need:
50-100cc Hypodermic Syringe(terumo etc can be found at any pharmacy)
24+ guage Needle(the larger the guage, the easier it is to inject the soloution)
several layers of cheesecloth/surgical gauze or sterile filter

boil up a cup and a half of water, allow some of the heat to dissipate.
add salt and a pinch of MSG to the water, dissolve into solution(if you like ur chicken to retain its ‘original’ flavor, then just use a salt solution)
add whatever other ingredients u want to flavor the meat with, for example: ground pepper, soysauce, cocacola, beer, cooking wine, vinegar, sugar, various oils such as olive, peanut, soy etc

heat again, and mix well into solution

allow to cool again. use cheesecloth to filter the solution(well it should be a solution, but sometimes it just looks like a snow scene paperweight, with particles flying everywhere). Mystery chunks(like ground pepper) are a thin guage needle’s enemy. Imagine passing a bladder stone. You don’t want to imitate that with your solution filled syringe. Repeat if necessary

pull 50-100cc’s of the solution into your syringe, attach the large guage needle, proceed to inject deep large muscle tissues with generous squeezes of solution. the deeper you inject, the more effective.

refrigerate the chicken overnight to allow the solution to naturally spread throughout the entire muscle mass(if you cook immedietely, you get uneven pockets of juice that may open or spill out during baking or when u try to carve the bird.

bake at very low heat, use a rotisserie if available, lightly brush the chicken with the juices that fall, the use a meat thermometer to ensure the inner temperature of the meat has reached 160 degrees F, at which point the meat can be removed from the oven. brush the bird with the juices and allow the meat to rest for 5-10 minutes before carving

this process can be used for any large piece of meat(beef, pork, lamb, TURKEY[this really works well for turkeyday birds]), however it is suggested that you not ‘overinject’, as it will all just come out of the meat before you cook it and end up being wasted.

hope this helps

-chris

Nice post. What about tying the legs, as they cooked faster than the rest of the bird amd so are prone to overcooking?

Also, where do you buy cheesecloth?

[quote=“Mucha (Muzha) Man”]Nice post. What about tying the legs, as they cooked faster than the rest of the bird amd so are prone to overcooking?

Also, where do you buy cheesecloth?[/quote]

cheesecloth/surgical guaze can be purchased from pharmacies, its called SHA1 BU4

i typically use a rotisserie adapter when cooking pork shoulders/chicken/small turkeys. i would suggest wrapping the legs with aluminum foil, and fully injecting them with the solution. try to avoid injecting too close to the bone, as the western preparation methods typically have detached lower legs(ie the claws or ‘talons’ as naopoleon would say)and the liquid quickly flows along the bone and out of the bird(not good) before you even cook it

OK…now this is going to sound/look kind of strange, but it really works and tastes great.
Beer Can Chicken

Beer Can Chicken Recipes
It works great on a grill and even in an oven if yours is large enough.

Any beer will work.

Mmmm, beer can chicken.

I had a friend back in the states who made a turkey that way, using one of those jumbo cans of beer. It was tasty. :sunglasses:

Taiwan Beer bottle chicken is tasty, too:
marinate, insert bottle, cover with big metal can or bowl, build a fire around it - you don’t even need a grill

Super old thread but does anyone know if City Super still has rotisserie chicken? Hoping to get a rotisserie chicken without going to Costco…

Thanks!

1 Like

They do. Breeze Nanshan has rotisserie chicken too.

And KFC has excellent fried chicken.