Best driving route from Taipei to Fulong?

Hi,

I’m looking for the most direct, quickest way to drive in a car from Taipei to Fulong from someone who’s driven it (the more recent the better). Need to go from Taipei to Fulong on a weekday morning and again on a weekend morning.

Looking at the map, I see a few possibilities, but I’d like some advice:

• Coastal Route 2 via Danshui and Keelung - Looks scenic, but very long and slow.

• Hwy 1 (main Taipei Freeway) to Keelung, then Coastal Road 2 - Looks ok. Not sure which road to take when the highway ends.

• Hwy 1 to Keelung area, then some inland route to Fulong - There appears to be a direct route from the Keelung area to Fulong on a Rural Route 2, connecting to Rt. 102. However, on my map, RR 2 might be under construction/not finished.

Any tips appreciated.

Seeker4

It depends on what area of the city you live in. From Mucha I can get to Fulong in just over an hour along the 106 and 102. Very little traffic on a weekday.

We usuallu go on the 3,turn on the 1 and from there on the coastal route.Did it in just over a hour last Sunday.Hard to get lost on that one… The Ilan route is shorter but then you have to go through the mountains which means some slow and careful driving.

Beitou. Plan to jump on whatever that new elevated highway is called in Beitou, which then connects with the No. 1 Freeway (I’m told), and go from there.

I can’t find the Beitou elevated highway on any map, but I know it’s there (been on/under/around it).

So, after getting off No. 1 Freeway near Keelong, what is the best route from there?

just keep going on that road till you hit the ocean.It goes through a few funny places,think one is called Ruiefang or something.Make a right at the beach and it’s probably 30 - 40 km to Fulong from there.There is another road which goes right earlier but that will take you through more busy streets.

Beitou. Plan to jump on whatever that new elevated highway is called in Beitou, which then connects with the No. 1 Freeway (I’m told), and go from there.

I can’t find the Beitou elevated highway on any map, but I know it’s there (been on/under/around it).

So, after getting off No. 1 Freeway near Keelong (Jilong), what is the best route from there?[/quote]

From Jilong I’ve only ever taken the 2. Decent road, wide, good views.

I can’t find the Beitou elevated highway on any map, but I know it’s there [/quote]

yeah it runs past the incinerator, from huanhe north rd to where zhongyang n rd meets chende rd.

Be adventurous … take the new highway 5 (Taipei-Ilan … part of it’s open) from the 3, get off and take the 106 and then connect to the 102 that takes you right to Fulong. Get yourself a new map book - you’ll find your way!

It’s a nice mountain route, and believe it or not MUCH faster than going up the 1, east through Reifang, and south down the coast. Besides, that’s got to be one of the ugliest roads in Taiwan.

Good luck.

The road through Reifang is horrible, with old decaying buildings, lots of trucks and idiotic drivers on the shoulder…

Do the 106/102…It’s a beautiful drive and rarely congested. It also has th added bonus of being big bike central. From the Shrting exit right to Fulong can be done in under an hour.

One small peice of advice…You are going to go through a long tunnel. On the other side the road narrows right down in rather dramatic fashion. Seen a couple of pileups there from people that don’t know the road so be careful.