Best man - advice needed

So, my mate - who’s been in China just over a year, is getting hitched, to a lass from Kunming.

And he’s asked me to be the best man.

I’ve never been a best man before - what am I expected to do? Give a funny speech and get hammered on the local brew?

There will be about 200 people at the wedding, mostly the bride’s family and friends, and maybe a couple of laowai.

I’m thinking I’ll do the speech in some English and some Chinese, but is there any kind of protocol to follow at a (mixed-race) wedding?

Advice please!

Ta :bow:

[quote=“Baas Babelaas”]So, my mate - who’s been in China just over a year, is getting hitched, to a lass from Kunming.

And he’s asked me to be the best man.

I’ve never been a best man before - what am I expected to do? Give a funny speech and get hammered on the local brew?

There will be about 200 people at the wedding, mostly the bride’s family and friends, and maybe a couple of laowai.

I’m thinking I’ll do the speech in some English and some Chinese, but is there any kind of protocol to follow at a (mixed-race) wedding?

Advice please!

Ta :bow:[/quote]
At a Chinese-style wedding? Do they even have best men? We didn’t have one at ours. We had one friend deliver a short speech, sort of a toast I guess - heck, I don’t know what she said, it was all in Chinese.

Whatever you say make sure you’re drunk while you say it. Be relaxed and patient enough to allow for awkward pauses in your speech where you’re the only one laughing and everyone stares with confusion and discomfort. Continue drinking afterwards until you fall on someone’s aunt.

^ this

Or in the very worst case don’t be the first one to lose face