Best Mexican Restaurant in Taiwan

As I said, others’ mileage might vary. No biggie. Imagine what a boring world it would be if everybody liked the same things.

I would like to agree with interlocuter on many issues. However, there is no “authentic” food anywhere. Everything is of varying authenticity.

Tequila Sunrise may have its disadvantages, but they’ve served me fine food–authentic or not.

At least they’re 1000 times better than “The Green House” in Tainan with watery and sweet enchiladas and salads and soups with corn kernels in them, sweet tacos made from the cheapest beef available with “hard things” inside that you have to spit out. TS is heaven compared to that.

Tainan’s Mexico-to-go still rules.

I went to Tequila Sunrise today with a group of five. While the food is OK, I didn’t like the waiters’ attitudes. Without a word, they’ll come and put the dishes on the table. I happened to be sitting with my back towards the kitchen. A soup dish was served and it passed an inch away from my face. Coincidence? Then my arms were also pushed away with a dish because I obviously was in the way. Happened twice. Courtesy must be part of running a restaurant…

I thought La Casita was ok, but I felt they were a bit overpriced for a mom and pop operation of long standing. I also felt I was expected to become a member of the family and return again soon. However, that’s better than cold treatment. They are very friendly.

The food is not bad -certainly the closest thing to a full Mexican menu of reasonable quality product I’ve found in Taipei.

However, they used grated processed cheese, and not real cheese. It’s not terrible but it was a disappointment. BTW, The G’day Cafe has some reasonably good Mexican stuff. It’s quite simple, but good ingredients.

One thing that can be said for La Casita is they’re consistent. Rolan and Amy have been in the business for nearly 20 years and have a faithful following. They’re not looking to expand or advertise, and you can always count on good quality Mexican fare when you go in to their humble shop. And if you happen to go at the right time, you just might be in for a special treat. A few months ago I went in for my usual super burrito and was happily informed that Amy had made some Chicken enchiladas with mole sauce. It was one of the best Mexican meals I’ve ever had. :rainbow:

i’ll throw in a vote for mexico sabroso: forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … c&&start=0

the place is still packed for lunch and dinner, and some of those customers are coming in from taipei.

check out some pictures of the food and recent events: mexicosabroso.net/Home_Page.php?aa=0&si0=1

there’s a new menu with a plethora of choices for very reasonable prices. i’ll see if isa can get it online this week.

[quote=“xtrain”]I’ll throw in a vote for mexico sabroso: forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … c&&start=0

the place is still packed for lunch and dinner, and some of those customers are coming in from Taipei.

check out some pictures of the food and recent events: mexicosabroso.net/Home_Page.php?aa=0&si0=1

there’s a new menu with a plethora of choices for very reasonable prices. I’ll see if isa can get it online this week.[/quote]

And they are giving away CARS! :wink:

A plethora?

Yeah, the great Mexican food restaurant, its right next to the great Indian food restaurant, near the sidewalk with no mopeds, by the bank that issues credit cards to foreigners… :laughing:

Chili’s is the closest Taiwan gets. No horchata or aguas frescas, and ok maybe its Tex-Mex, and you need to be on an expense account, but the fajitas are good. Still for the money go up from the 2nd floor Chili’s in Neo 19 to the 3rd floor Jogoya, as they say, Japanese food with Taiwanese portions…

I tend to agree on this, if you known them for about 15 years or so, you get treats that are not on menu now and then. I think they are just there because they wouldn’t do anything else. I think humble is the keyword about their business! It is just like “homemade” mexican food. And even their prices might be a little expensive, I get a free coffee now and then! :slight_smile:

I just went to La Casita recently and it was pretty good. There was a regular there and Roland gave him a nice discount, too!

But as to Tex-Mex, I’d have to say that Smokey Joe’s (Kaohsiung and Kending) beats Chili’s hands down. They have a huge menu, Tex-Mex and just plain Mex, and the food is GREAT. Their fajitas and DIY wraps are excellent value.

Frankly, the chains that claim to be Mexican are American in origin and are a fucking disgrace. The best, and ONLY way to eat good mexican food is from the street stands in Mexico. I have never been to Eddie Burritos but it sounds that if he as a Mexican can emulate in any way remotely what they do here, then good on him.

Chilis and the like are absolute shit. Utterly. There is one here and it is empty…haha…NAFTA…somethings you Yanks will NEVER get right…i.e. food.

Fish tacos are the way to go…had another on Avenida Floresta corner of Avenida Juarez here in Ensenada. Superb. NT$25 a pop. Three and you are full.

BroonAppreciates…mucho.

[quote=“BroonAle”]Fish tacos are the way to go…had another on Avenida Floresta corner of Avenida Juarez here in Ensenada. Superb. NT$25 a pop. Three and you are full.

BroonAppreciates…mucho.[/quote]
Does that include the donkey show?

[quote=“Dr. McCoy”][quote=“BroonAle”]Fish tacos are the way to go…had another on Avenida Floresta corner of Avenida Juarez here in Ensenada. Superb. NT$25 a pop. Three and you are full.

Does that include the donkey show?[/quote]

:laughing: That’s Tijuana’s trademark…with zebra markings…

I guess I just agree, from first hand experience, that that Anthony Bourdain bloke is absolutely right. Any discussions on this board about the merits of shitholes like Chilis are by the ignorant (or sad) for the ignorant (or sad).

BroonAnimal

Eddy Burrito does the business. You would like them. No fish, though.

Surprised Chili’s makes it into a Mexican restaurant thread, though – I’d place that place firmly within the ranks of crap American fast food junk, along with Ooh! There’s a Dried-Out Dog Turd on the Pavement Thank Fuck That Means I don’t Have to Eat at Friday’s.

[quote=“BroonAle”][ The best, and ONLY way to eat good Mexican food is from the street stands in Mexico.

I told you to keep your big mouth shut. Get back here after your research and we will open the place up.

And STOP PLAYING WITH IT.

You owe me a computer. I don’t mean just a keyboard. I mean a whole f.n computer.

I have to agree that Smokey Joe’s is pretty good and surprised to find it in Kending. Nice surprise.

As for Chili’s, it’s simple american tex-mex, and not mexican food, but I recognize it for what it is, and treat it as such, and will occasionally eat there just for the convenience.

In HK, there’s a decent Mexican place with decent burritos (large portion) and chimichangas. I forget the name, but it’s like Coyote something… Coyote Bar?

Just don’t go to the one that is a “tequila” bar. They couldn’t make a burrito if it were raining mexicans and burritos. Arggh. total waste of money. After that, I really appreciate Chili’s.

Btw, they’re both in Wanchai.

What I really miss? a good cinnamon rice horchata. Gawds, I got fat one summer eating burritos and horchata in downtown LA while cramming for exams. From then on, I understood why every one of my hot mexicans friends were hot at 18, but big at 22.

[quote=“Jack Burton”]In HK, there’s a decent Mexican place with decent burritos (large portion) and chimichangas. I forget the name, but it’s like Coyote something… Coyote Bar?

Just don’t go to the one that is a “tequila” bar. They couldn’t make a burrito if it were raining Mexicans and burritos. Arggh. total waste of money. After that, I really appreciate Chili’s.

[/quote]

I don’t know exactly what places you are describing. Please elaborate.