Best OS for EeePC. Linux? How to see Chinese filenames?

Original eeepc that could not handle windows 7 and had it’s hard drive wiped.
My main purpose is to play CD ROM (ripped) based interactive text books that the elementary school text books here in Taiwan, or living books use. They run on windows.
The second purpose is to use it as a web browser, media player and word processor.
I’ve played with mint and Ubuntu but haven’t been able to make wine work.
I probably didn’t know what I’m doing.
I also can’t seem to display CHINESE FILENAMES.
Edubuntu looks like it has everything a student may need.
Important: my machine is 32 bit only.
Thanks

Use Lubuntu IA-32. It’s fast, lightweight free and relatively easy to use.

https://lubuntu.net/

2 Likes

Great I’ll try that.
Do you know how I can display Chinese file names?
in Windows I just had to choose a map to non Unicode fonts.
Unfortunately my file names are in Chinese and I cannot find a similar setting in Linux.
My Chinese names appear as all sorts of random characters

In Lubuntu I don’t think I’ve ever had difficulty displaying Chinese characters. If you give me a day or so, I can test that out in a VM.

1 Like

The most likely reason why you can’t see Chinese filenames is that the CDs or files were probably originally written in Big 5 or one of those PRC GB formats.

If it’s a file on a writable file system, you could just use convmv

sudo apt install convmv
convmv -f big5 -t utf-8 -r --notest *

If it’s on a CD, the only thing you could do is try to display the file names in Big 5…

Try

LANG=zh_TW.BIG5 ls

Or if you only feel comfortable using the gui, and you are running Ubuntu, try

LANG=zh_TW.BIG5 nautilus

2 Likes

Lubunt works from the memory stick but when I try to install it to the hard drive I get this error…

IMG_20181122_213842
There are two versions of lUbuntu for my eeepc.
The regular one and the alternate one…
Should I try it with the alternate one?

Why is it trying to mount a cdrom? Did you check cd as additional depository during the install? Are you installing from a cdrom? Does your eeepc even has one?

I installed lubuntu 18.04 on a little EEEpc laptop 3 weeks ago and it was as smooth as it can be.
Stick in the bootable USP stick, hold down the esc key, choose to boot from usb and then choose to install and not to boot into Lubuntu.
I remember there was an option to check for CD as a repository. Don’t check that.
What model of eeepc are you using?

I looked it up and it seems to be a bug. However I created the usb stick with Universal-USB-Installer-1.9.8.4
And used this iso lubuntu-18.04.1-desktop-i386
My laptop looks very similar to the one in your picture. 1G of ram.
If you don’t have 1G ram, use the alternate installer.

2 Likes

My installation process seems a little bit different then yours. I will post some pictures.
I use the USB stick and the image of the CD on it.
I made the USB stick by following the USB install utility.IMG_20181123_175523 IMG_20181123_175543 IMG_20181123_175619 IMG_20181123_175703 IMG_20181123_175907

[
IMG_20181123_175543