Best Patisserie in Taiwan

Burgers can suck it. What are your favorite pastry shops?

Cakes here all taste cheap to me, I never found anything like the spongy ones we had back home. Puff pastries are injected with disgusting tasteless fillings. Other pastries are occasionally nice but none stand out as particularly good.

Zoca

2 Likes

Gonna plug for the local business, Lutetia, with a few shops up in Shilin.

5 Likes

Paul Bakery for some French taste😀

2 Likes

Is this about working in a patisserie?

1 Like

If you’re looking for good bread and baked goods, Pure Bread in Daan, maybe a ten min walk from the Daan MRT, is excellent.

(They used to have a real website but I just clicked on the link and that said it doesn’t exist…)

Their sourdough bread is actual sourdough bread. Their ciabatta is actually ciabatta. If you buy a croissant, you will get flaky, buttery goodness that tastes like butter that came from a cow was used between each layer, not artificial buttered popcorn flavor. They also have pumpkin cake that I find is the perfect balance of spicy and sweet.

Basically, they have mastered baked goods for the Europeans and Americans that basically gave up bread after moving to Asia because the likelihood of extreme disappointment was too high. I know multiple Italians and French people that are “BFFs” with the people who work there.

If you’re hoping to work at a patisserie, per the category of this topic, I’m not sure how to help you there

4 Likes

Oh lol no my bad fixed the category. Yeah looks nice, will check out. Thanks.

1 Like

I like Gontran Cherrier better than Paul , they have a few locations in the north and central areas. Paul I thought was more like a Tim Horton of France, a place for cheaper coffee and some Patisserie items, the ones in Taiwan seem overpriced.

2 Likes

Is Gontran Cherrier branch in Taipei?

Yes

http://www.gontran-cherrier.tw/#gc-store

In Hsinchu too!!!

1 Like

Thanks

Thanks, nice to know and another option for a breakfast stop.

1 Like

Some good news from France:

Guy

3 Likes

Didn’t this also happen some time ago, maybe six months or a year?

For bagel chains, I like Miopane (sp?).

1 Like

I don’t know. Perhaps a search in the Chinese language press will yield some more details?

Back to the topic of patisseries in Taiwan: Joel Robuchon’s outlets (one of the 3rd floor of Bellavita in Xinyi; the other on the B3 level of Fuxing Sogo) now have a new pastry chef, long awaited due to COVID restrictions. I have not yet met him—he’s a young man from France—but based on my sampling of some cakes, he is doing fine work, stressing the classic more than the creative, which is fine with me. I look forward to trying more.

Guy

1 Like

You probably just don’t know where the good ones are.

^ This one is good.

^ Also good, but the cakes are expensive (~2,000 for a small one). They look beautiful though. Like this.
https://i.imgur.com/vk8Szze.jpg

^ A Japanese branch. The black tea chiffon is good.

^ Good lemon tart in Taichung.

^Also in Taichung.

^ Le Moût also does pastries these days and the swiss rolls are fabulous.

I also like Lady M a lot.

3 Likes

Out of that list, I’d vote for Yu. His chocolate tartes are off the charts!

Guy