Best Pizza in Taipei

no pizza is awful, only some pizzas are better than others.

1 Like

Have you not been following the Pizza Hut thread? :rofl:

Guy

1 Like

Every thorn in the desert is a flower.
i stay away from the abominations (blood cake toppings etc.) but i remember how kind Pizza Hut was to me in 2006, when there was hardly any variety of pizzas in Taipei.
Today im fortunate enough to have choice and debate if Oggi or Zoca , but i wont turn my back on Pizza Hut and forget its role the humble beginnings of pizza restaurants here…

1 Like

Thank god the options have increased nowadays.

We’re arguably into a golden age of pizzas. It’s amazing how things have changed.

Guy

2 Likes

I look forward to the day when the Taiwan-America free trade deal is finally here

Cura is in deep Wanhua its true, but the worst of Wanhua is around longshan temple. If you can get passed that you got nothing to worry about. Its just a typical rough Taipei neighborhood. Its nearby nan ji chang night market, which is awesome and also well worth a visit.

Get a bus or ride a youbike, its not like its out in Neihu or something, going out there is really a pain in the ass.

3 Likes

My dwelling instead haha

Your ability to move around the Greater Taipei Area is impressive! :grin:

Guy

1 Like

Well, now I tell u about my little excursion: brought my fiancée to the airport this morning, she went to Guangzhou for work for a few days, then took the mrt to taoyuan HSR, then a bus to zhongli TRA station, then the train to Wanhua TRA, then walked to Cura. Came back to Dahu via train to nangang, much better then the mrt.

3 Likes

That is quite the journey!

Guy

What a bored man wouldn’t do when too hot to do anything basically, at least all AC along the way

Except that very long walk (I presume you walked) from and back to Wanhua TRA Station to your pizza lunch. That must have been hot!

Guy

1 Like

I dunno have you ever eaten half raw pizza before? I once had a pizza so bad I had to throw most of it away (it was at a terrible hotel in Thailand, my first trip overseas on my own and I didn’t know what I was doing)

1 Like

I’d replace “no” with “few” but close.

25 years ago Pizza Hut and Dominoes were the only choices for pizza, apart from one upscale restaurant in the Sheraton which had probably the only wood fired pizza oven at that time.

Back then I consumed my fair share of Pizza Hut and Dominoes, especially PH, which had a two-for-one on carry out deal (maybe still do). But I always (and still do) stuck to plain cheese pizzas and added my own toppings at home. I think the quality was a bit better then (both were much better in the states) but Dominoes really went downhill here, at least the last time I tried it.

Then Alleycat’s opened it and with it, eventually, the flood of other, now very good quality pizza joints.

That’s a good observation. They both paved the way for introducing pizza here and making it popular.

I would still get a Pizza Hut pie if there was no other option at all.

I, too, once made this newbie mistake in a hotel in Thailand ages ago. When I think of the fantastic Thai food I could have had instead I cringe.

3 Likes

Still open and very good too! The guy who now runs a mano was behind the Pizza Pub (that’s the name of the place at the Sheraton Grand) certification as true naples style pizza, and even though now he left the pizza there (and some non-pizza food too) is still pretty good.

2 Likes

It was very hot indeed the walking adventure in wanhua. Which, tbh, by Italian standards is already a nice and quiet neighborhood. Folks in TW r spoiled to call that rough!

1 Like

A public service announcement: chatting with the owner’s wife at Zoca’s yesterday, I learned that the family will be travelling to Italy for a visit. This means Pizza Si will be closed until they reopen on August 8. Zoca’s with its nonfamily staff will keep its usual hours during this time.

Guy

2 Likes

A long “lost” gem which I managed to finally go again.

Pizzas r solid and decently priced, pls do not get non pizza food, it’s made by Taiwanese for taiwanese taste and it is appalling to me.

Even out in the sticks of the “transit dead” Neihu business area u can find some good places.

That does not sound like a very compelling recommendation. :joy:

Guy

It is unfortunately common in many place to have one decent type of food and appaling other ones. Here the pizzas r good, non pizza food would order it.