Best...product name...ever

[quote=“Rascal”]What about Mitsubishi Pajero (4WD, named Montero in the US or Shogun in the UK)?

I was told pajero means “masturbating” in Spanish, but then someone that spoke Spanish told me it doesn’t. Was he right?[/quote]If I remember correctly, “pajero” means “couple” as in the phrase “a married couple”. I think it’s “paja” that’s something sexual though I’m not sure exactly what.

I bought a rice bugger (sic) from a convenience shop the other day.

Yes and no; it’s very regional slang, and even varies within countries; it also has other meanings.

(RE-EDITED) The formal verb in various regions is masturbar(se); Pajear(se) is unacceptably vulgar in many places AFAIK and is, I believe, regional slang (not sure which regions) for choke the chicken, but in other areas I’m under the impression it means to deceive, lie or pull the wool over sb’s eyes. Sometimes the word is understood in a region but not colloquial there. It’s common in online erotica, however.

The ‘se’ is the reflexive suffix. Pajero would be ‘one who masturbates’, rather than ‘masturbating’, while ‘una paja’ would be the noun for the act. Usage would for example be ‘hacer una paja’ or ‘pajear’ a alguien or ‘pajearse’. Pajero can also mean, depending on region, one who sells paja (dry straw), a plumber, or ‘tired’, and is also equivalent to ‘wanker’ and/or ‘lazy good for nothing bum’ and ‘liar’. Paja, btw can mean a drinking straw in some places, while in others the word is popote.

Not to be confused with pareja, pair or couple, as Joesax points out below.

Yes and no; I believe it’s regional.

The formal verb in various regions is masturbar(se); Pajear(se) is, I believe, limited regional slang (not sure which regions) for choke the chicken, but in other areas I’m under the impression it means to deceive, lie or pull the wool over sb’s eyes. The ‘se’ is the reflexive suffix. Pajero would be ‘one who masturbates’, rather than ‘masturbating’, while ‘una paja’ would be the noun for the act. Usage would for example be ‘hacer una paja’ or ‘pajear’ a alguien or ‘pajearse’. All TTBOMK, so any native speakers feel free to correct this.[/quote]I’ve only heard it in the noun form.

And of course I was wrong about the couple thing. It’s been so long since I used Spanish. For the benefit of those who I may have confused, a couple’s a pareja; nothing to do with pajeros!

Fuct clothing.

C’mon… Who wouldn’t see the appeal in a model of snowboard boots named “frostbite.” :loco:

Ok, thanks. Let’s call it “Mitsubishi Wanker” then.

One of the worst product names I can think of for a car is the Nissan Teana. Do you pronounce that as Chinese for “Oh my God!” or Tina, a little girls name. Ceferio was a perfectly good car name.

It was called Cefiro (from the Greek word Zephyrus = god of the west wind). :grandpa:

Ask anyone to name a car sold in Mexico in the 60s. You’ll either get a shrug or a “Nova” in reply.

Uh, so how exactly was this a marketing blunder?

I saw this at Wellcome (I think…) but haven’t had the opportunity to take a picture yet. Luckily, someone else has (apologies if it’s been posted before):

So now that we know what it isn’t, what do we think it is?

Oh c’mon, the #1 reply should be the VW bug! There were zillions, back in 70’s. The Nova was 70’s too, I believe. We had a Dodge Dart, and I forget what else.

I am not sure if I trust these two companies:

Acon
Supercon

…unless i am ready to be the victim of a con, that is.

I spotted the two names side by side yesterday - one on a building and the other on a atruck outside the same building.

Fuzzy TV

Lucky Locks

Oh c’mon, the #1 reply should be the VW bug! There were zillions, back in 70’s. The Nova was 70’s too, I believe. We had a Dodge Dart, and I forget what else.[/quote]Yeah…gotta go with DB on this one. VW has a major auto plant outside of Pueblo that pumped out millions of non-emission regulated Bugs (read MAJOR polluters).

They had to have a major manufacturing change when VW shut-down its US plant in Pennsylvania and started bring Mexican Bugs into the USA.

The company in China that bought Rover is calling the Rover brand Rong Wei in Chinese. Great name for a car.

My favourite was “Lee Kee” shoes in Hong Kong.

We forgot to mention the Phat Fuk restaurant.

Do you mean this one ? :

It’s a hoax.

That’s just a ripoff from the popular line of French Connection UK clothes. Oooooh, cool, my shirt says FCUK. . .

[quote=“Kahna”]I saw this at Wellcome (I think…) but haven’t had the opportunity to take a picture yet. Luckily, someone else has (apologies if it’s been posted before):

So now that we know what it isn’t, what do we think it is?[/quote]

And that’s a ripoff from the huge advertising campaign for some US margarine-type product, years ago, where the characters on TV would taste it and in mock orgasm exclaim, “OOOOOhh, I can’t believe it’s not butter.”

But your question is a good one. If not butter, what is it. I believe margarine was being touted years ago as a miraculous healthy substitute for butter, till experts later concluded that maybe it’s actually worse for your health. And this Taiwan stuff, who knows what it is.

[quote=“Mother Theresa”][quote=“Kahna”]I saw this at Wellcome (I think…) but haven’t had the opportunity to take a picture yet. Luckily, someone else has (apologies if it’s been posted before):

So now that we know what it isn’t, what do we think it is?[/quote]

And that’s a ripoff from the huge advertising campaign for some US margarine-type product, years ago, where the characters on TV would taste it and in mock orgasm exclaim, “OOOOOhh, I can’t believe it’s not butter.”

But your question is a good one. If not butter, what is it. I believe margarine was being touted years ago as a miraculous healthy substitute for butter, till experts later concluded that maybe it’s actually worse for your health. And this Taiwan stuff, who knows what it is.[/quote]

Unless I’m mistaken, that’s a Danish product, MT.