Best public elementary schools in Taipei

Hello, only interested in recommendations for public schools. And this is really just seeking basic answers to get the general landscape. Kids were born in the US and are ethnically Chinese, they have a tiny bit of Mandarin comprehension but English is their first language.

We could live anywhere in the Taipei region (work from home) but from afar we are leaning towards xinyi because that’s where our close friends and my aunt live, and it’s fairly convenient to most places. Assuming we stick to our timeline, the older kid will be in Taipei for about 9 months of kindergarten prior to starting elementary school, so he’ll have a little bit of an immersion period into Mandarin.

What are the good schools that our kids would have a realistic chance of getting into as expats? Thanks!

there are some popular schools, but I don’t think the qualities of education provided by public schools in the area you mentioned are greatly different from one another. It may depend on teachers more.

Schools in the area must have accepted foreign kids every year, but some may get used to foreign families more than others, so you could ask to schools.

With 9 months in kinder, I think your kid will be ok most probably at any school.

1 Like

Just off the top of my head, Xinsheng, Dunhua, and Taipei University of Education Experimental Elementary School are the good ones, but they’re hard to get into AFAIK, meaning you have to set up household registration in the school district early, like from birth.

1 Like

Thanks to both of you! I seem to recall hearing about a special elementary program for Mandarin immersion. It’s a smaller program at a well-regarded school in the city. Any idea what I’m talking about?

It must be Xinsheng.

Fyi

1 Like

8 posts were merged into an existing topic: Moving to Taipei area for 1 yr so my 12 y/o & 10 y/o can attend public school