Best rock tenor ever

Highway Star,
You said,
“I would have thought Ian Gillan from Deep Purple, or Robert Plant from Led Zep would have been the obvious choices”

I’m guessing by your name, you’d pick Ian. I still love “Lazy”, and at that time, they could do no wrong. They had the Lord playing the Hammond for them (and a pretty good guitarist as well).

I saw Mercury, Plant and Perry all within a year of each other. Led Zep played for 3 hours, ('77), but in concert, both Perry and Mercury sang better.

Queen were such a tight group and had people on their seats, singing along for most of the concert. Listen to Freddie and Queen’s range. From Bohemian Rhapsody (they didn’t sing this live, but played a recording :doh: ), to Tie your Mother Down, It’s Late, '39, Sheer Heart Attack (the song), Dreamer’s Ball, Fat Bottom Girls . . .

What variety! And what incredible vocals! OK, their drummer was singing the REALLY high parts, but still . . .

Eddie ain’t no tenor, definitely a baritone.[/quote]

I watched a movie called Into the Wild last night. Written and directed by Sean Penn and Eddie Vedder did the music. His voice is really emotive; added a lot to the movie, IMHO.