Best school in Asia to get your MBA?

[quote=“Yellow Cartman”]Why not go with a HK one like HKUST-Kellogg EMBA

You can even see the schedule/travel requirements for it. I think it’s a better combo than Tulane- and it’ll be for sure be in English.

Check out the FT article on Global EMBA 2006 article[/quote]

Thanks, that looks great. I’ll definitely read their brochure and think about it.

What about my other question, though: do you think one can find 8 graduate courses in English at NTU, Chengchi U, SunYatSen U and/or ChiaoTung U, in accounting, finance, marketing, etc.?

This information is very helpful. Thanks everyone for taking the time to post your replies.

Just wondering from everyone’s experience whether it is worth it to get an executive MBA that costs USD $100,000+ from a top school like Kellogg or U of C versus a solid, but less prestigious, program like Tulane (USD ~$30,000)?

I personally think that getting a “regular” MBA soon after undergrad from a top ranked MBA program is worth the $100,000+ not only in terms of the time to pay off the loan but also that it will definitely help open doors to better career opportunities/advancement.

But if one is currently in a managerial position in a company and has the 10 years of business experience usually required for an EMBA, would the prestige factor from a top tier school help that much for career advancement or would the business experience along with an EMBA from a solid, but not necessarily first tier business school, be sufficient (equivalent) to advance one’s career? By “advancement”, it doesn’t necessarily have to be with the current company one works for but for advancing one’s career in general. (Hands down, I think an EMBA/MBA is better for advancement in managerial positions versus no EMBA/MBA regardless of work experience, but the question is how helpful is the prestige factor at this point.)

Any thoughts on this will be appreciated.

Yellow Cartman - Did you get an MBA at Kellogg-HKUST? It looks like the program is for 14 or 15 months? Is that correct? Do you know if everyone have to finish in that time frame or do they customize for some people as it appears U of C in Singapore does. I think HK would be more convenient to travel to than Singapore for U of C program.

Just to be clear - U of C does not encourage this customization. But if you are accepted and your situation is reasonable, I have found them to go an awful long way to accomodate you

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]
What about my other question, though: do you think one can find 8 graduate courses in English at NTU, Zhengzhi U, SunYatSen U and/or ChiaoTung U, in accounting, finance, marketing, etc.?[/quote]

I think NTU and Zhengzhi U yes you can. Don’t know SunYatSen U and don’t think ChiaoTung U has that many English speaking profs or lecturers in these areas but they do have some according to my friend who’s taking courses there.

No, never attended an MBA program. I’m like MT, previously a lawyer, educated in the States but now not practicing law. I view law as an enabler of business and not an ends in itself. There’s a slogan in my present company that “Legal Means Business”. If one views Sales & Marketing as the business’ right hand man, then Legal is the left hand.

My opinion on educational investments is that one should by all means pay for the best one can get. In the MBA area, I think it does make a lot of difference, particularly for networking purposes, and being challenged by peers that are your equals or better. I think the more international one needs or strives to be, then the big names are much better choices because of exposure.

But by the same token, Tulane is a fine university and has a number of excellent programs, but we’re not looking at just what is being taught through the books. One can self-learn by reading if that was the purpose of getting a degree.

Yeah, this is very true. Networking opportunities is definitely a key factor in choosing a prestigious school.

In general I agree that one should get into the best school he/she can get into; however, sometimes it might not pay off as much as one might think. There are many considerations to contemplate, but the biggest for me is the educational money investment versus the benefit (return in terms of getting a higher paying job) from a particular university.

Yeah, this is very true. Networking opportunities is definitely a key factor in choosing a prestigious school.

In general I agree that one should get into the best school he/she can get into; however, sometimes it might not pay off as much as one might think. There are many considerations to contemplate, but the biggest for me is the educational money investment versus the benefit (return in terms of getting a higher paying job) from a particular university.[/quote]

Yeah, that’s the hard part. It’s like any other investment, time helps a lot to realize the gains. If I were in this position, I’d check to see what the target level/comparison is and see if it’s needed to reach for the best of the best if one can just get by with 2nd-tier and achieve one’s objectives. Some industries (i.e. management consulting) just cry out for it, but others aren’t as picky.

Not easy. Good luck!

[quote=“Yellow Cartman”]ChiaoTung U has that many English speaking profs or lecturers in these areas but they do have some according to my friend who’s taking courses there.
[/quote]

All of Chiaotung’s business professors can speak English–most of them got their PhDs in the US. You can do the MBA in English at the Hsinchu campus. You can still survive and understand things if you do it at NCTU’s TPE campus (the books are English US textbooks and you are allowed to do homework, presentations, tests, etc. in English) and you will see your Chinese improve by leaps and bounds.

:roflmao:

So they can say, “where do I pay?” at least.

HG