Best second hand car (2018 Edition)

Hi, I’m looking to buy a new second hand car. Currently I’m driving a in-laws Nissan March, but due to changes in circumstances need to buy my own.

I’m looking for a medium-sized hatchback with enough room for a babysear and also with a bit of power too. I do drive to work daily and also frequently drive on the freeway so gas milage, maintenance cost and comfort are all important. Budget is around 300-350k

Currently Im looking at cars from:

• Suzuki
  • Nissan
  • Hyundai
  • Mazda

Any recommendations for a good value second hand car? All the other threads are out of date now. Cheers!

It’s either new or second hand, you can not have it both ways.

2 Likes

Why aren’t there any 4WD’s in Taiwan?

If there are, where can I buy one?

If you have the time I would suggest test driving as many as possible to get a feel for what you like. Or if you are pretty convinced of something on paper then just test that to make sure you like it.

I recently had a brief spell with a Mazda 3 hatchback and thought it was pretty nice. Older model, 2006, pretty sporty and a nice size, sort of typical of that type of design.

btw, how was the nissan march? I am curious about that odd little car.

Ruten? Or search the local auto row, that was where I became aware of these:

1 Like

When he says new, he means new to him. Examples:

1. Let’s go to a new (to me) restaurant.
  2. I want to get a new (to me) dog.
  3. This is my new (to me) house.
  4. China is my new (to me) home.

Saying you want to get a new second hand car makes sense. It is you, Belgian_Pie who is wrong.

The meaning of new depends on the circumstances. The second hand car would be ‘new’ to the OP.

1 Like

There are many 4WD’s in Taiwan, what makes you think there are not?

I haven’t seen many.

img-224082929

That looks all right, and made in the ROK.

For some reason I have always liked the Russian UAZ 452. I don’t no why. It’s just a queer looking ‘thing’ with those beady weird headlights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-BSEAoPJmU&ab_channel=TGW4x4CrazyFails

Hyundai Accents or Elantras would be around your budget. I think they make some in Taiwan, so maintenance cost should be reasonable.

Worth speaking to Sulavaca on here ( Jamie at Autocheckers ) has cars which are reliable and pretty cheap . In Taipei . Good guy .

2 Likes

I second the recommendation for @sulavaca
Bought my car with them, and I’m very happy with the result. Good price, great service and they even do a +200 items check for you!

1 Like

+1

Ditto. Bought my 2008 Mazda 3 through Jamie more than 4 years ago.

Though, he’s not very active on here anymore (I think he forgot his password). Best to contact him via FB or through the website.

http://www.actaiwan.org/our-cars

1 Like

Pffttt, meet one of these babies with a binglang respray on the wrong side of the road on the 9 and you’ll know what excitement is!

1 Like

Many of them, and some are membres of 4X4 off-road clubs.

In Hsinchu you can’t swing a cat with hitting a 4x4 SUV.

Just around my neighborhood alone there are scads of Range Rovers, Lexus, Infinity, BMW, and Benz SUVs. I’ve even seen a 4x4 Ford F-150 (aluminum body so pretty new), I have no idea what must have cost the owner. There must be ten BMW X5s in my building and the one next to it, maybe more.

I am a purist so SUV’s don’t count as 4WD’s.

I am seeing some rugged looking DELICA’s around, and they make the cut.

As for the others… ‘Taipei Tanks’.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJB7Xqft588

Thanks for the replies, i’ll contact Autocheckers then.

I was thinking about a Mazda3 because of the 2.0L engine, but someone posted on here that they’re usually boy-racer cars and thrashed to death by the time they;re sold.

Hyundai Elantras looks good, I’ll have to research into the prices.

btw, how was the nissan march? I am curious about that odd little car.

Fun! Closest thing you’ll get in TW to a proper mini. Never drove it on the freeway though.

You can find nice ones that haven’t been modded. Mine only had 32,000 km on it when I got it. It’s been very reliable, though they are only available here with a 4-speed automatic, but can be driven in “manual” mode. Because of this, I think they are not as boy-racer thrashed as much as say a Subaru Impreza.

Besides a proper mini, of course.

Going to sell these. Please PM me if interested.
One very wet BMW Z4 , 30,000kms, Grey metallic, Black interior, 2005

2001 Porsche 996 Turbo 40,000 kms

1986 Ferrari 328 GTS 52,000 kms

1 Like