Best song ever, what is yours?

Ben Folds Five: Fair

I usually like songs because of, like, one bar in the middle, or a little guitar twiddle, or two lines of lyrics. But Fair gets everything right - great lyrics, lots of changes, weird bass sounds, silly harmonies, a blues outro …

PS. Sandman: Another Girl Another Planet is excellent. It’s a shame most of their other stuff is kinda uninspiring …

I always wondered why the Only Ones were such one-hit wonders.

(Whitney Houston’s) “The Greatest Love of All” is one of the best, most powerful songs ever written . . . about self-preservation, dignity. Its universal message crosses all boundaries and instills one with the hope that it’s not too late to better ourselves. Since it’s impossible, in this world we live in, to empathize with others. We can always empathize with ourselves. It’s an important message. Crucial, really . . . as beautifully stated on the album.

And how do you feel about Phil Collins?

As sandman said… impossible to name just one… I love lots and lots of music and different bands and different songs, originals and covers. Anything by the Dead inspires me… I always liked this one by the Dead:

From the head down. Mind the facial hair.

In rough order of priority:

Pictures of You, Cure (a slow meditation for a heartsick soul).

God Save the Queen, Sex Pistols (still fresh after nearly 3 decades).

The Ship Song, Nick Cave (quasi-spiritual in that unique Nick Cave kind of way).

Rise, PiL (John Lydon cleaning out the cobwebs).

Blue Monday, New Order (techno buzz way before its time).

Beds are Burning, Midnight Oil (a beat with a conscience).

Betty’s Worry or The Slab, Hunters and Collectors (reminds me of my truck driving days).

It’s a Long Way to the Top, AC/DC (ditto).

Dancing Queen, ABBA (my Mum liked it and my cross-dressing alter-ego still does).

[quote=“guangtou”]In rough order of priority:

Pictures of You, Cure (a slow meditation for a heartsick soul).

God Save the Queen, Sex Pistols (still fresh after nearly 3 decades).

The Ship Song, Nick Cave (quasi-spiritual in that unique Nick Cave kind of way).

Rise, PiL (John Lydon cleaning out the cobwebs).

Blue Monday, New Order (techno buzz way before its time).

Beds are Burning, Midnight Oil (a beat with a conscience).

Betty’s Worry or The Slab, Hunters and Collectors (reminds me of my truck driving days).

It’s a Long Way to the Top, AC/DC (ditto).

Dancing Queen, ABBA (my Mum liked it and my cross-dressing alter-ego still does).[/quote]

That’s the taste I like to see ! (except the AbbA THING) :notworthy: Guess most of us spent our “exploring youth” somewhere in the 80’s no?
My collection honestly bought CD’s are somewhat new wave - punk rock oriented.

Do you like Huey Lewis and the News? Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes, but when Sports came out in '83,I think they really came into their own, commercial and artistically. The whole album has a clear, crisp sound, and a new sheen of consimante professionalism that really gives the songs a big boost. He’s been compared to Elvis Costello, but I think Huey has a far much more bitter, cynical sense of humour.

In '87, Huey released this, Fore, their most accomplished album. I think their undisputed masterpiece is “Hip to be Square”, a song so catchy, most people probably don’t listen to the lyrics. But they should, because it’s not just about the pleasures of conformity, and the importance of trends, it’s also a personal statement about the band itself.

A Whiter Shade Of Pale by Procol Harum. They don’t get any better.

1 Like

LIVE FAST, LOVE HARD, DIE YOUNG
(Joe Allison)
FARON YOUNG (CAPITOL 3056, 1955)

I wanna live fast, love hard, die young
And leave a beautiful memory

Don’t want slow walkin’ or sad singin’
Let ‘em have a jubilee
I wanna leave a lot of happy women
A-thinkin’ pretty thoughts of me

I got a hot-rod car and a cowboy suit
And I really do get around
I got a little black book and the gals look cute
And I know the name of ev’ry spot in town
I wanna find 'em, fool 'em, leave ‘em
An’ let 'em do the same to me

I’m a wampus cat let me grab my hat
And baby come aiong with me
We’re gonna do some fancy steppin’
We’re really goin’ on a spree

Now you may not approve of the things I do
But it really don’t bother me
But don’t ever think you can tie me down
I’m gonna stay footloose and fancy free
So jump back, make tracks, move out
An’ let the pretty gals at me

“Where did you sleep last night?” Leadbelly’s version not that weak-ass Cobain crap. Totally haunting, timeless anonymous and ancient. This one swims up from bottom of the dark lake with hooks stuck in its mouth.

Hard Times Killing Floor-Another tough desperate song. I like Skip James’ second version of it after he left Jesus and went back on the path of evil.
That’s a field holler and a social statement rolled into one.

Cross Roads-Robert Johnson -not that limp limey Clapton-crap. What can you say about a man who sold his soul to Satan and didn’t become a politician, lawyer or record producer.

Freebird-The air just smells like whiskey when it’s played- by Skynrd of course.

Immigrant Song -cause I always feel like cutting off someone’s head with a Viking axe when I hear this song. There are other better Zep songs but this one always gets my testes tight.

Dylan-Like a Rolling Stone-As close a generation ever got to saying F— u to another generation. This song is angry, snide and sounds like a pointed finger.

God Save the Queen–yep when I was 12 this shook me every time I spun the vinyl. I punched a lot of holes in my bedroom walls with this one.

Streets of Laredo-Never heard a song so often quoted, lines used for book and movie titles too. Poetry in a country western ballad. More death, violence and ghosts then a Marilyn Manson Halloween party. Damn sad too.

I like Manson’s version of Tainted Love. He took a totally lame pop tune from the limp wristed 80’s and made it scorch. Wow.

Pearl Harbor Sucked and I Miss You-From the Team America soundtrack.

Police Truck-Dead Kennedy’s- I heard this played live by the DKs while getting my head kicked in by the LAPD in San Pedro at D.Boone’s( from the Minutemen) last Calif show before he died -nuff said.

Betcha By Golly Wow- Stylists–Got my first tongue listening to this and it was from a woman too. :raspberry:

Let’s start a Worst Song thread.

Point That Thing Somewhere Else - The Clean

This Nation’s Saving Grace - The Fall (can’t single out any particular track; they’re all fuckin’ wonderful!)

Kashmir by Led Zeppelin
Rosemary by Gomez
Goodbye Yellow Brick Road by Elton John (absolutely loved seeing him play in Taipei last fall)
Weapon of Choice by Fatboy Slim
Tout ne pas ca by L’Affaire Louis Trio

Classical: Beethoven’s 9th
Jazz: A Love Supreme - John Coltrane
Rock: Black Dog - Led Zeppelin
Disco: Jive Talkin’ - Bee Gees

[quote=“LagerLout”]Point That Thing Somewhere Else - The Clean

This Nation’s Saving Grace - The Fall (can’t single out any particular track; they’re all fuckin’ wonderful!)[/quote]
Hee hee - “I am Damo Suzuki” sounds like he really is Damo Suzuki.

Oh yeah.*

*If you don’t get the inside joke concerning “Oh yeah,” then you’re not cool.

My serious list:

• C.R.E.A.M. - Wu-Tang Clan
  • The Girl I Love She Got Long Black Wavy Hair - from Led Zeppelin’s BBC Sessions (nearly impossible to pick my fav track from that double album)
  • Between the Bars - Elliott Smith
  • Moonshiner - Uncle Tupelo
  • Temptation - New Order
  • Two Months Off - Underworld
  • Gloria - Patti Smith
  • I’m Only Sleeping - Beatles
  • 911 Is A Joke - Public Enemy

:fume: You lookin for a fight, matey!? NOBODY badmouths Nirvana in my presence… :wink:

However the Leadbelly version is cool too (I personally prefer that “weak-ass Cobain crap” version). And the rest of your songs are classy too.

And isn’t this:

from American Psycho? The parts where he pulls off his in-depth musical analyses before killing his victims are hilarious…

As for my choice of songs, hmmm…

Iron Maiden - Prowler - first song of their first album, super-raw, super fast, aggressive punky metal track that issued in the NWOBHM (New Wave of British Heavy Metal) with a kick to the teeth.

Led Zepplin - Stairway to Heaven - yup, very cliche, but it’s just got this awesome buildup to one of the best guitar solos ever, and a stunning climax to the song.

Guns n’ Roses - Sweet Child O’ Mine - another cliche, I know… But in the same light as “stairway to heaven”, this one has an incredible buildup, solo and climax which never fails to thrill me.

Pixies - Monkey Gone to Heaven - Gotta love Frank Black’s cutting, screechy vocals. This one has those haunting strings in the background too, love its bittersweet feel.

Rage Against The Machine - Know Your Enemy - Explosive, furious, and one of the coolest guitar riffs ever written in my opinion.

Red Hot Chilli Peppers - Give It Away - For the bassline. Flea rocks.

The Smashing Pumpkins - Bullet With Butterfly Wings - “The world is a vampire…” simple, but very primal kinda song with lots of angst and a vicious bite when the chorus explodes. Lurrvly.

And finally, anything off this album, which got me into rock and still sounds as fresh today as when it was released in 1991:

All time favourite for me: Blue Monday by New Order.
Some other songs I love: Serene Machine by Ed Kuepper (this one might be rather obscure).
Silver Screen Shower Scene by Felix Da Housecat.
Lighter shade of pale by Procul Harum.
Lots of U2 songs.
Throw your arms arround me by Hunters and Collectors.
Bullroarer and The dead heart (equal favourites) both by Midnight Oil.
HeiMeng (black dream) by DouWei.
JieJie (older sister) by Zhang Chu.
Original Sin by Inxs (other great songs by them include The one thing, Don’t change, Never tear us apart).
In my memory by Tiesto.
Flashing for money by Deep dish.

Black Sheep- “The Choice is Yours”
Most of Diggable Planets first Album “Nickel-bag of Funk”
Coolio- “Gangsta’s Paradise”
US3’s version of “Cantaloop”
And the Run DMC/Aerosmith collaboration on “Walk This Way”