Best Star Trek Movies

Well now Dr McCoy’s made me morph for a moment and digress into this

From http://www.cracked.com/article_15091_best-worst-star-trek-movies-all-time.html

My top 3 are - and it is a small horror to have to leave out 1 or 2 of them:

1. Star Trek 2 (The Wrath of Khan)
  2. Star Trek 6 (The Undiscovered Country)
  3. Star Trek 8 (First Contact)

And I take issue with anyone who likes Star Trek 3 - it’s kind of like saying Timothy Dalton is a top Bond. The cracked.com guy makes the insightful remark:

Star Trek VI tops my list; Star Trek V is at the bottom.

Agreed! But how about the recent one, “Star TreK” the roots story? I thought it was great.

And the Trekkies come crawling out. :astonished: :astonished: :astonished:

[quote=“BigJohn”][quote=“TwoTongues”]
My top 3 are - and it is a small horror to have to leave out 1 or 2 of them:

1. Star Trek 2 (The Wrath of Khan)
  2. Star Trek 6 (The Undiscovered Country)
  3. Star Trek 8 (First Contact)
    [/quote]

Agreed! But how about the recent one, “Star TreK” the roots story? I thought it was great.[/quote]

Damn that’s a good question and I can’t believe I didn’t think about it. I gotta say, for me it’s a whole new world, kind of like Bond since Craig. Feels like you get to a point and then it’s just totally different.

I think Star Trek one has been underappreciated. First, it was such a relief for those that had waited so long for new Star Treks–those who had spent years getting high and watching the afternoon reruns. Just the reunion scenes with all the players was worth it. And also because Nimoy reached back and played Spock as he should have been, totally without emotion. That scene where he fist appears on the bridge and won’t say hi to anyone is brilliant. Then they learned that they needed to make it more appealing, so they got new uniforms and a sexy Vulcan for Star Trek 2, which I agree is the best. The biggest disappointment with Star Trek 3 was the butt-ugly lady they got to play the same Vulcan. I have great hopes for the new movies.

Guess 1 is more easily appreciated if you were around for all the TV shows and their reruns before 1 actually came out. When I was growing up, it all blended together, making 1 fairly ponderous and meandering, with lots of slow pauses in shots and the like. More cerebral. But the article does mention the cool clothes. I like them cool clothes - almost as much as I dig the later clothes that make them look like gay swashbucklers.

First off, I liked all the movies, but if I had to choose my top three I would go with:

1. Star Trek (2009)
  2. Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country (1991)
  3. Star Trek VIII: First Contact (1996)

I grew up watching The Next Generation (1987–1994), as I finished 12th grade in 1992. Deep Space Nine (1993–1999) got me through university and Voyager (1995–2001) took me into my adult life. So I’ve always been more of a Next Generation Trekkie. I haven’t seen Enterprise (2001–2005) yet, but I have plans to “acquire” it soon. I recently re-watched Voyager and I’m busy watching The Original Series, which is pretty cool as I only remember the characters from the movies they made in the eighties.
Probably explains why I enjoyed the movies with the Next Generation cast more (I liked Nemesis, also, and it would make my top 3 except I was very unhappy that Data died in that one.), although the older movies were cool, too. The movie I enjoyed the least was Generations.

My favourite series is without a doubt Voyager. Spock was the Vulcan standard, but Tuvok took it to a new level. Janeway was was an awesome Captain, although she wasn’t quite as good as Jean Luc IMVHO. But with crew members like Seven of Nine, Tertiary Adjunct of Unimatrix Zero-One, The Doctor, Commander Chakotay and B’Elanna Torres the series was just that bit ahead of The Next Generation.

For the true fan who wants to tie up all the Borg loose ends, from Seven of Nine, Captain Janeway, the disappearance of the Starship Columbia, where did the Borg come from and Jean Luc’s part in all of it, I recommend the Star Trek Destiny trilogy by David Mack.

Couldn’t watch most of the movies. Not campy enough. No comparison with the original series. Though Wrath of Khan came close.

There’s so much wrong with that I don’t know where to begin. OK how about here:

1. I realize that it may not be obvious initially, but Janeway is a woman and therefore implausible as a cpatain of the 'prise. And even though she’s more manly than Picard (his first name is Jean, 'nuff said), she is missing the most important part of being a man - a pair of Chow Yun Fat.

2. Don’t dis Spock or you will be sent to the Phantom Zone

3. Chakotay? Wasn’t that what Eddie Murphy used to say when he was doing his Buckwheat impersonations? And Tuvok is a brand of footwear and also a video game about a dinosaur hunter, I’m not sure how you’ve confused that with the World of Trek…

The only thing right was your positive comment on Six of Nine, who they should digitally implant into all previous and future trek movies and series.

Star Trek as a series ended after the first few year of DS9 when it because painfully obvious that they were going to rehash and prettify even the lamer bits of TNG. I don’t want to even go into the monstrosity that involved Bakula.

All Hail James Tiberius Kirk!

There’s so much wrong with that I don’t know where to begin. OK how about here:

1. I realize that it may not be obvious initially, but Janeway is a woman and therefore implausible as a cpatain of the 'prise. And even though she’s more manly than Picard (his first name is Jean, 'nuff said), she is missing the most important part of being a man - a pair of Chow Yun Fat.[/quote]
    This is true.

Spock is the man (or the Vulcan, technically), but Tuvok has been the only Vulcan since to come close.

Heresy!

At least we can agree on one thing. :bow:
And they can digitally implant her on my brain, while they’re at it!

I was never a big fan of DS9, but I enjoyed Voyager. The whole Borg thing (especially if you read Star Trek Destiny), and the moral decisions that had to be made weighing returning home and the impact it could have using whatever means at that stage. It was very different from any of the other Star Trek series’, but it was excellent in it’s own right.

No arguments here. But it’s like Sean Connery as James Bond. There were good ones after him, but none were quite comparable.

You make near total sense to me there. How about the worst 2:

Worst: Inns Erection
The end of the TNG crew, thank god, the next time I see Marina Sertis again, I’m gonna vomit on her naked chest (again).

Almost Worst: Star Trek 3: The Search for Spock
They didn’t even have to search for him! Reverend Jim is a bad guy??? Terrible acting, terrible sets.

[quote=“TwoTongues”]Almost Worst: Star Trek 3: The Search for Spock
They didn’t even have to search for him![/quote]
The original title was going to be In Search of Spock, a nod to Nimoy’s In Search Of TV series.

The only reason this movie exists is to correct the stupid decision to kill off Spock at the end of The Wrath of Khan.

[quote=“TwoTongues”]You make near total sense to me there. How about the worst 2:

Worst: Inns Erection
The end of the TNG crew, thank god, the next time I see Marina Sertis again, I’m gonna vomit on her naked chest (again).

Almost Worst: Star Trek 3: The Search for Spock
They didn’t even have to search for him! Reverend Jim is a bad guy??? Terrible acting, terrible sets.[/quote]
I would have to agree with those two…

We never got to see Seven’s corset, even though it was clearly visible under her garment. Sigh.

Oh holy phaser bank, I stop googling for it…

hmmmm…Seven’s corset… :homer: