Best teaching agencies or boards for no certificate

Hey everyone and fellow english teachers in Taiwan,

I’m wondering if anyone can recommend a good teacher agency or job board for english teaching jobs in Taiwan.

I’m not certified, nor do I have teaching experience, just a bachelor degree. And no, I’m not planning to get any certificate like TEFL etc.

I’m seeking a job in Taipei, somewhat soon. I’m open to situations like cram schools or high school or anything, as long as its reputable and a decent situation.

Please share your experiences, thank you kindly.

[quote=“graycat”]Hey everyone and fellow english teachers in Taiwan,

I’m wondering if anyone can recommend a good teacher agency or job board for english teaching jobs in Taiwan.

I’m not certified, nor do I have teaching experience, just a bachelor degree. And no, I’m not planning to get any certificate like TEFL etc.

I’m seeking a job in Taipei, somewhat soon. I’m open to situations like cram schools or high school or anything, as long as its reputable and a decent situation.

Please share your experiences, thank you kindly.[/quote]

Interesting how you say you are not certified and plan to get no certificate, yet you want to find a reputable place and be in a decent situation.

Outcome: unlikely.

Actually, reasonable. He fits into the “fresh meat straight off the boat, who can be manipulated easily and rogered roughly.” There’s still a market for that. Try Hess.

Actually, Hess is probably your best bet as they offer fairly decent training and have a lot of materials and support. They’re needed, especially for a “teacher” who knows nothing about teaching. Some branches are even quite decent. For a new teacher, Hess is FAR better than some cowboy outfit that hands you a picture dictionary, plonks you in front of 10 kids aged 6-16 of all different levels, (including two rabid hyperactive ones) and says “Two hours! Teach these two pages! Way you go!”

You don’t have a hope at the high schools.

If you’re cute, blonde, female, and a CantuckyNadian or a Merkin (Ye gods, I’m picking things up from Sandman!) with a bright bubbly personality and a talent for sticky balls, you should be able to get a job pretty easily.

To add to what ice raven has said.

If you want to find a job teaching English easily, you have the following choices:

1. Hess - pretty much will take anyone with a white face regardless of any sort of experience.
  2. Global Village - same as Hess.

Those 2 cram schools will hire any ‘‘fresh meat straight off the boat, who can be manipulated easily and rogered roughly’’

But in a sense they can. No ‘real’ teacher would be seen dead at those 2 places.

If you are doing this for fun and travel, then I am supportive of you. If you plan to do this thinking it is a good career choice… forget it now.

[quote]Interesting how you say you are not certified and plan to get no certificate, yet you want to find a reputable place and be in a decent situation.

Outcome: unlikely.[/quote]

Not sure who you work for, but you can easily make a good Taiwan living without being certified or working for a ‘reputable’ place. There is good and bad with any branch of any school, so you cant put them all under an umbrella and say “Blah Blah” is reputable.

There is hundreds of schools in each city and each offer its own situation, be it good or bad. Takes some time to learn what ‘they’ want from you, but it is simple enough. Either you like it or you don’t, easy enough.

The word ‘unlikely’ is obsolete in Taiwan, you can do with yourself what you want and prosper I feel. I have a friend, who does Chinese classes all week, teaches all damn day on Saturday to support rent and living costs and is now on TV commercials making bank. Another friend worked as a teacher (no certificate) and now has two restaurants that are over three years old with another on the way. So there is many options here that do not require a ‘teaching certificate’ and are not unlikely.

Yes on the other hand there is many people who come to be teachers, don’t give a damn, don’t try at all and blame Taiwan for their troubles.

Not everyone can teach, very true, but it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to do it either!

[quote=“tcarnagan”][quote]Interesting how you say you are not certified and plan to get no certificate, yet you want to find a reputable place and be in a decent situation.

Outcome: unlikely.[/quote]

Not sure who you work for, but you can easily make a good Taiwan living without being certified or working for a ‘reputable’ place. There is good and bad with any branch of any school, so you cant put them all under an umbrella and say “Blah Blah” is reputable.

There is hundreds of schools in each city and each offer its own situation, be it good or bad. Takes some time to learn what ‘they’ want from you, but it is simple enough. Either you like it or you don’t, easy enough.

The word ‘unlikely’ is obsolete in Taiwan, you can do with yourself what you want and prosper I feel. I have a friend, who does Chinese classes all week, teaches all damn day on Saturday to support rent and living costs and is now on TV commercials making bank. Another friend worked as a teacher (no certificate) and now has two restaurants that are over three years old with another on the way. So there is many options here that do not require a ‘teaching certificate’ and are not unlikely.

Yes on the other hand there is many people who come to be teachers, don’t give a damn, don’t try at all and blame Taiwan for their troubles.

Not everyone can teach, very true, but it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to do it either![/quote]

You are correct and I agree with you, but the majority of people out there are not like your friend.
Sorry to say, I have seen too many examples of foreign white ‘teachers’ simply turning up to certain places and present themselves in such a way that basically says ‘Hey! I’m white, no real experience or relevant qualifications, but I deserve a good job with high pay.’

I have no respect for those kind of ‘loser teachers’

Your friend is someone who I would respect. Hardworking and works for everything he gets.

Hi,
I might have some solution for you!
I am an English teacher at a cram school and there is a part time opportunity for a native english speaker (NO teaching certifictae is required, BA is just enough)
If you interested, then drop me an email on jadbasha@hotmail.com
Hope that could help.
Regards
Jad