Best textbook - Taiwanese adults

Hi all,

Please can you help me choose the right textbook for my students. I am teaching a class of 7/8 adult (22-40 year-olds) Taiwanese students right now with an awful company textbook. But in a couple of weeks I can change to any textbook I want.

They are pre-intermediate level but I feel they are quite weak so it could be reviewed. My adult students want to practise more speaking: good pronunciation and fluency.

Is there a textbook you’d recommend for this situation?

I feel HeadWay is a good standard but I think there is still a little too much grammar. I see ‘English File’ describes itself as the course that get students talking - does anyone know how it is different from the others?

I also would like to uses readers with my new adult course - ones where they can listen to the story at home, and ideally tie in with the textbook.

I’d appreciate advice on this matter.

Sincerely,

Asa.

I’d recommend a book called Natural English. It’s by Oxford University Press and is full of great conversation activities. I think there are three levels. There are some amusing cartoon strips which make for great subject introductions and lots of meaty topics to keep them going. One interesting short reading is the true story of an Iranian guy who got stuck in Charles De Gaul airport for about 7 years. It’s fun to see if the students make the connection with the Tom Hanks movie, Terminal, which must be based on this original story.

Good luck,

Chris

[quote=“C.J.Smith”]I’d recommend a book called Natural English. It’s by Oxford University Press and is full of great conversation activities. I think there are three levels. There are some amusing cartoon strips which make for great subject introductions and lots of meaty topics to keep them going. One interesting short reading is the true story of an Iranian guy who got stuck in Charles De Gaul airport for about 7 years. It’s fun to see if the students make the connection with the Tom Hanks movie, Terminal, which must be based on this original story.

Good luck,

Chris[/quote]

Where could the book be purchased? Caves, perhaps? How much would it cost? Thanks!

You can definitely get it at Cave’s. I think the student book alone cost about NT$540. That looks a bit expensive compared to some books, but there’s a lot more in it than say Interchange or Know How. And the content is far more interesting and easy to adapt.

Regards,

Chris