Best Thai restaurant is?

• Lacuz
  • Sukhothai
  • Thai Town
  • Thai Work (Taichung)
  • Very Thai 非常泰
  • Other (please post name)

0 voters

[color=#FF0000]If you chose “Other” please be sure to post the name and I will count them manually for the final poll results. If no name is posted/given/pm’d for “Other” the vote will not count.

You can change your vote anytime until January 1, 2012.[/color]

I’m too late to vote, but here’s my 2 cents. The best authentic Thai food is found at the several small Thai restaurants in and near the Wu Gu industrial park (Hsin Chuang) of New Taipei City. These restaurants serve Thai street food catering to the Thai factory workers in this area, with prices to match. Cans of Leo beer cost just $35 NT. Papaya salads range in price from $60 to $80 dollars. The dishes are prepared to Thai standards of hotness, which means that one bite of the papaya or seafood salads can fill your mouth with a blowtorch of fire. They also serve small baskets of sticky rice that you eat with your fingers to quench the fire in your mouth. Imported beverages include small or large bottles of Thai whiskey and super-sweet Thai green Fanta. Some shops sell small bags of fried pork skins, and on occasion you can get fried bananas or homemade Thai sausage (super yummy). The tables at all these places carry the condiments necessary for a simple Thai meal. Fish sauce, fish sauce with fresh chopped chilis, vinegar with fresh chopped chilis, sugar, and dried shredded chilis. Two places have satellite TV and the women bosses turn the TV to Thai soap operas in the evenings. On weekend nights Thai factory workers gather at a couple of these spots for karaoke on the $10 coin drop machines. If you enjoy rock ballads and power chords straight from American rock of the 70s and 80s, then Thai karaoke nights are not to be missed.

It’s just not fair. A meal and a beer at these places is priced very reasonably, while the cost of a burger and a Bud at a pub in Taipei is $$$$$$. Thank god for Queen Burger in Taipei.

[quote=“neesh”]I’m too late to vote, but here’s my 2 cents. The best authentic Thai food is found at the several small Thai restaurants in and near the Wu Gu industrial park (Hsin Chuang (Xinzhuang)) of New Taipei City. These restaurants serve Thai street food catering to the Thai factory workers in this area, with prices to match. Cans of Leo beer cost just $35 NT. Papaya salads range in price from $60 to $80 dollars. The dishes are prepared to Thai standards of hotness, which means that one bite of the papaya or seafood salads can fill your mouth with a blowtorch of fire. They also serve small baskets of sticky rice that you eat with your fingers to quench the fire in your mouth. Imported beverages include small or large bottles of Thai whiskey and super-sweet Thai green Fanta. Some shops sell small bags of fried pork skins, and on occasion you can get fried bananas or homemade Thai sausage (super yummy). The tables at all these places carry the condiments necessary for a simple Thai meal. Fish sauce, fish sauce with fresh chopped chilis, vinegar with fresh chopped chilis, sugar, and dried shredded chilis. Two places have satellite TV and the women bosses turn the TV to Thai soap operas in the evenings. On weekend nights Thai factory workers gather at a couple of these spots for karaoke on the $10 coin drop machines. If you enjoy rock ballads and power chords straight from American rock of the 70s and 80s, then Thai karaoke nights are not to be missed.

It’s just not fair. A meal and a beer at these places is priced very reasonably, while the cost of a burger and a Bud at a pub in Taipei is $$$$$$. Thank god for Queen Burger in Taipei.[/quote]

That post makes me hungry for real Thai food.

Any idea of an address?

Any idea of an address?[/quote]

Give me a couple of days. I’ll drop by the places, scribble down a couple of address and post them.

Thanks!

Here are 4 eateries which I’ve eaten at, all in Sinjhuang. To save time, I looked them up in Google maps street view.
A) #9 Xing Fu East Road (just off Hua Cheng Road)
B) #27 Lane 68 Wu Gong Road
C) The address plate of this restaurant is not visible in Google street view, so I’ve taken the address across from it, which is #784 Hua Cheng Road
D) This is a small place only open for a year or so. It’s a few doors to the left of #784 Hua Cheng Road. Google street view shows the previous tenant, which was a Taiwanese noodle shop.

If you can speak or read Thai, you’ll feel right at home in these places. If not, the proprietors speak Mandarin and Taiwanese.
D is only so, so, but it’s cheap. A, B, and C are much better, and each has its own distinct atmosphere. I would feel comfortable taking kids to B or D on any day, at any time, but I’d never take kids to A.

I believe there is another small joint a few doors down from A. But I can’t remember if it’s Thai or Viet. Across from A there is a Viet place with backroom karoake. There is a Viet place on Lane 68 a few blocks from B. A few blocks from B, there is a small grocer specializing in the fresh ingredients used in Thai and Viet cooking. And of course, there are several more hole in the wall places in the industrial park.

Thanks again, that’s awesome. I’m around there fairly often.

Here are 4 eateries which I’ve eaten at, all in Xinzhuang. To save time, I looked them up in Google maps street view.
A) #9 Xing Fu East Road (just off Hua Cheng Road)
B) #27 Lane 68 Wu Gong Road
C) The address plate of this restaurant is not visible in Google street view, so I’ve taken the address across from it, which is #784 Hua Cheng Road
D) This is a small place only open for a year or so. It’s a few doors to the left of #784 Hua Cheng Road. Google street view shows the previous tenant, which was a Taiwanese noodle shop.

If you can speak or read Thai, you’ll feel right at home in these places. If not, the proprietors speak Mandarin and Taiwanese.
D is only so, so, but it’s cheap. A, B, and C are much better, and each has its own distinct atmosphere. I would feel comfortable taking kids to B or D on any day, at any time, but I’d never take kids to A.

I believe there is another small joint a few doors down from A. But I can’t remember if it’s Thai or Viet. Across from A there is a Viet place with backroom karoake. There is a Viet place on Lane 68 a few blocks from B. A few blocks from B, there is a small grocer specializing in the fresh ingredients used in Thai and Viet cooking. And of course, there are several more hole in the wall places in the industrial park.[/quote]

It would be very helpful if you posted the actual google links while you were on them. I have spent 20 mins looking for these places and I still can’t find them.

A: maps.google.com.tw/maps?q=25.04 … 0edc0&z=18

B: maps.google.com.tw/maps?q=25.06 … 18&iwloc=A

C/D: maps.google.com.tw/maps?q=25.05 … 0edc0&z=17

As close as I could get :slight_smile:

[quote=“Tempo Gain”]A: maps.google.com.tw/maps?q=25.04 … 0edc0&z=18

As close as I could get :slight_smile:[/quote]

Thanks Tempo, I didn’t know you could post google links.

[quote=“Tempo Gain”]A: maps.google.com.tw/maps?q=25.04 … 0edc0&z=18

As close as I could get :slight_smile:[/quote]

A: Rak Sai Iu Karaoke
B: Thai Thop
C: KK Suki
D: ?

(Best Thai Restaurant of 2013?)

Wonderful little Thai restaurant in the plaza behind the Red House theatre in Ximending, adjacent to a Korean restaurant. The name of the restaurant is Thai Food (泰風味). Can’t get any simpler than that! And their food is about as authentic as I’ve found in Taiwan. Run by a friendly Thai woman. Also, three brands of Thai beer are available: Singha, Chang, and Leo.

I will be going there more often.

Aroi maak!!

[quote=“Chris”](Best Thai Restaurant of 2013?)

Wonderful little Thai restaurant in the plaza behind the Red House theatre in Ximending, adjacent to a Korean restaurant. The name of the restaurant is Thai Food (泰風味). Can’t get any simpler than that! And their food is about as authentic as I’ve found in Taiwan. Run by a friendly Thai woman. Also, three brands of Thai beer are available: Singha, Chang, and Leo.

I will be going there more often.

Aroi maak!![/quote]

Thanks for the post, I’ll check it out sometime

Open approx 1pm-11pm, closed Mondays.

Yeah I like that one, gotta go back.

I ate with Chris tonight. Excellent fare at very low prices: we had 6 dishes and 4 Thai beer for NT800. Average dish is NT80-120 and beer NT80 a bottle.