Best thing you can do once you arrive in Taiwan

And yes, it works. So now you won’t have to get zapped by your computer case, or have to buy those 3 to 2 adapter, or rip them out of existing equipments. I discovered that you can actually ground to a metal switch box set in concrete (and ALL buildings in Taiwan have at least one of these!) Now I have to curse myself for not finding out earlier and ripped the third plug out of some equipments because I figure that no one in Taiwan cares about grounding.

All it costs to do is is 120nt for the 3 plug version, and some wires. Or else you can pay 400nt for an electrician to do that.

[quote=“Taiwan Luthiers”]Now I have to curse myself for not finding out earlier and ripped the third plug out of some equipments because I figure that no one in Taiwan cares about grounding.
[/quote]
Or you could just pay NT$30-50 for an adapter at any one of those cheap “everything” stores found all over the place in any city or town in Taiwan…

[quote=“bismarck”][quote=“Taiwan Luthiers”]Now I have to curse myself for not finding out earlier and ripped the third plug out of some equipments because I figure that no one in Taiwan cares about grounding.
[/quote]
Or you could just pay NT$30-50 for an adapter at any one of those cheap “everything” stores found all over the place in any city or town in Taiwan…[/quote]

Do you mean those 3 to 2 adapters that turns 3 prongs into 2 prongs? that one provides no grounding and there is a connector that is supposed to hook up to ground.

[quote=“Taiwan Luthiers”][quote=“bismarck”][quote=“Taiwan Luthiers”]Now I have to curse myself for not finding out earlier and ripped the third plug out of some equipments because I figure that no one in Taiwan cares about grounding.
[/quote]
Or you could just pay NT$30-50 for an adapter at any one of those cheap “everything” stores found all over the place in any city or town in Taiwan…[/quote]

Do you mean those 3 to 2 adapters that turns 3 prongs into 2 prongs? that one provides no grounding and there is a connector that is supposed to hook up to ground.[/quote]
Yes. No grounding, but at least you don’t have to break off the third prong…

You will want grounding to make sure your computer equipment functions correctly and for the surge protection to work. Also to make sure you don’t get zapped by the case anytime you touch it.

Never understood why grounded outlets are so rare in Taiwan.

And why are almost all light switches of the same style? Very little variation.

[quote=“Chris”]Never understood why grounded outlets are so rare in Taiwan.

And why are almost all light switches of the same style? Very little variation.[/quote]

I wonder that too, I heard it’s because people here are too cheap to ground their outlets properly.

What and where is this magic metal box you speak of? The one with the master powerbreakers?

You do not understand Taiwan culture :laughing:

It is all about mathematics, and the locals are best in it world wide.
When they make an equation on the % risk of electrocution vs % loss of money using grounding, the first % overrules by a factor of a bezillion.

Besides, 98% of all electric / electronic products have either no touchable metal parts, or have low Ampere consumption, so the risks are indeed limited.
Yes, my computer has some losses on the chassis while not using grounding, but it is a welcomed side effect, keeping my pacemaker happy :slight_smile:

I thought the normal operating procedure was to ground the entire household supply to the concrete or even to the local grid.

That said, it would be nice to see GFCI boxes in the kitchens and bathrooms, and more breakers in the boxes separating supplies. 30 amp supply in the kitchen would ensure that i could run the fridge, microwave, oven, fan, and dish dryer at the same time.

The switch box where your sockets are housed in, if it’s not added in later on (which means it’s set into a concrete wall) is usually metal.

My current place as well as the previous one I lived at is/was grounded. You just need to move into a new place. The two places before that, not so much. And yes, that tickling feeling from your computer isn’t pleasant…

Yea but the newer places are usually overpriced

Yea but the newer places are usually overpriced[/quote]

Right. My Co is paying 3K for a place being 5 years old…without grounding. This is Taiwan remember. Where the need of being faster than China in ongoing development and over urbanization now starts to ignore common safety standards…