• Nintendo DS
  • DS Lite
  • GP32
  • GPX2
  • Gizmondo
  • Gameboy Micro
  • Gameboy Advance

0 voters

I want a handheld, but there is just too much choice around right now.

I’m leaning towards the ds lite but prices are just plain crazy right now (270-300us on ebay).

I’m also considering the gpx2 for the whole open source thing but apparently there will be a successor in the xgp / mini soon.

So what get’s your vote?

note to old school nerds. I’ve only included recent handhelds in the vote so no atari lynx, gamewatch or game gear action for you!

the psp is quite disappointing in terms of quality games. also, many features that sony promised before launch will obviously only be available on the psp2.
i’m selling mine…
the gpx2 looks great as an emulator/portable media center but the ds lite seems to be the way to go atm.

When I was back home i was looking at the PSP and DS. Went with the DS because:

A. There are a bunch of games I like for it.

and

B. It can play GBA games which also has a bunch of games.

I’ve been really happy with my decision so far (I beat the crap out of Mario Kart and if you see me on the MRT you’ll see me playing Mr. Driller :smiley:)

I love love love my DS. I’m usually a die hard Sony girl, but the PSP holds no attraction for me.

Plenty of GREAT games for DS (and my god, they’re actually fun!) & GBA.

Who voted for PSP and why? Just curious. When I was at the store thinking about either one, no reasons came to mind for buying a PSP.

probably those who dream of getting one or havent tried one yet. definitively not me!

i had a ds, got too excited when the lite came out and sold it. now i’m stuck with nothing :fume:

has anyone seen a ds lite on sale in taipei? he asks expecting the answer no.

You can play games on the PSP? Oh. ya. It duz that too. There are quite a few games I play for the PSP, even ridge racer (and I never play driving games) and Lumies (and I hated Tetris and all its clones). But it is also a movie player. I put the Firefly movie (serenity) on it to watch on the bus. Awsome. MP3 and such. I will be happy when the GPS add on comes out. Web browser. Streaming video with Sony “anywhere” box. It can do so much.

You only have to learn how to hack it. I have the 1.5 version and it can do anything. You can use up to 2.0 now and bump it back to 1.5. Anything newer and Sony’s got you in the pocket.

I have even heard it can run LINIX! What ever that is.

The only real problem I have for it is the size. Its a bit too big.

not entirely true since you can use a firmware emulator. risky but feasible.

it’s only a project. so far, nothing runs.

i agree with you but a pda can do much more than that. without the games of course. so, i’d say psp games aint good enough and psp homebrew apps dont make it a good substitute for a pda or a media player.

It is (was) a Hype, it is SONY, and it offers more than all other HH’s.
I bought a few games, became addicted and ALWAYS take my PSP with me when going on a B-trip. Love the design, quality is great,
only bad thing is that my hands hurt when into deep in certain games as it is not so easy to hold the PSP in both hands regarding the position of the buttons.
I did not used the emulator yet. waiting for a newer version so i can play my Japanese titty movies on it :astonished:

personally i cant play lumines more than 15 minutes. after that my hands have spams :laughing:

DS versus PSP: Who won E3?

[quote]What game stole the show? Did the Nintendo DS once again trounce the struggling PlayStation Portable? Will Pocket Gamer editors ever get a rest?

The answers? The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass; not really; and no.

In our restless state, let us tell you how PSP surprisingly overtook Nintendo DS for the handheld spotlight during E3 2007 with its redesign and impressive slate of games…[/quote]

Seems like Sony is finally pulling up its pants.

“impressive slate of games” ? where ? Nice kit, crap games, still.

BFM is right. The real advantage to the PSP is … stealing the games is too easy.

My student just bought a PSP for 6,000NT. But for an extra 1000, the store cracked it for him, and for another 1,000, they gave him EVERY PSP GAME AVAILABLE TO DATE. that’s right. He brought a hard drive to the store and they loaded it up with every game released for PSP so far. Ok, true, those games are in a confusing amalgam of chinese, japanese and english, but still.

Now that FInal Fantasy Tactics is being ported to PSP, i’m considering following in his footsteps.

[quote=“lurkky”]BFM is right. The real advantage to the PSP is … stealing the games is too easy.

My student just bought a PSP for 6,000NT. But for an extra 1000, the store cracked it for him, and for another 1,000, they gave him EVERY PSP GAME AVAILABLE TO DATE. that’s right. He brought a hard drive to the store and they loaded it up with every game released for PSP so far. Ok, true, those games are in a confusing amalgam of Chinese, japanese and English, but still.

Now that FInal Fantasy Tactics is being ported to PSP, I’m considering following in his footsteps.[/quote]

uhm… playing backup games on DS is even easier then psp… all you need is the right slot cartridge and a microsd card… load up your backups and viola instant games no need to hack or change firmware or what not

only thing is the cartridge is about 50 bux might be cheaper here in taiwan since it is made in china/asia

good thing i got my ds for 200US in the states :slight_smile:

got about 30 of my ds games in one game cartridge

oh yea it’s also possible to play video on DS with the cartridge

pm me for link to the product i use

new PSP slim is out in japan i think… probably can get import here… its supposed to be alot lighter and a little slimmer then the old PSP… although i think the UMD drive problems are still not really fixed yet…

o yea u can also surf the net on ds with opera!

have you checked prices on ds lite on the taiwan yahoo?

Not until September 20th.