Best view and champagne deal in Taipei

For a pleasant change of scenery and the chance to be “way high up”, several friends and I enjoyed the Far Eastern Plaza Hotel’s Marco Polo restaurant for lunch Sunday afternoon.

There’s an excellent buffet of salads, appetizers, desserts, seafood that you can get for $880
Prawns a plenty. Sashimi, smoked salmon…cheeses, breads, etc.
Or, for $990 get a yummy pasta dish to accompany your buffet.
And for bit over one grand, you get a meat or seafood dish, including the buffet.

All this while taking in the grandiose view of Taipei City.
We even splurged on the all-you-can-drink Moet Chandon champagne promotion for an extra $750 each. They were kind enough to keep the bottles right beside our table. We certainly got what we paid for, and then some.
Oh, and smokers can sit in the lounge area and look out over TPE 101, Living Mall (looks like a black golf ball from up there), Yang ming Shan and Elephant Mtn

Excellent attentive service. Delicious food. Great view. Champagne. Cheers! :smiley:

I went there a few months ago, Alien, and I have to agree. with you. Service is really good and the view is excellent. It’s even better if it is on someone else’s expense account.

OK, but do the patrons bring their Bucci Bags and wear their Pradski dresses?

No Flicka. Fred Smith was not there. :wink:

Can one wear a “party jacket” (like the one Alien reportedly once absconded with, but has not yet returned :x )?

I heard this type of jacket has a special internal plastic lining, just right for storing all those buffet extras and a bottle or two of champers.

[quote=“Alien”]There’s an excellent buffet of salads, appetizers, desserts, seafood that you can get for $880
Prawns a plenty. Sashimi, smoked salmon…cheeses, breads, etc.
Or, for $990 get a yummy pasta dish to accompany your buffet.
And for bit over one grand, you get a meat or seafood dish, including the buffet.

All this while taking in the grandiose view of Taipei City.
We even splurged on the all-you-can-drink Moet Chandon champagne promotion for an extra $750 each. They were kind enough to keep the bottles right beside our table. We certainly got what we paid for, and then some.[/quote]OH… someone’s got some $$. Can I be your new friend!!! :slight_smile:

Were you at the Marco Polo lounge or the restaurant?

Actually, I’ve been there too… but only on a tour. A friend of mine works at the hotel and showed us around. Very nice. There’s also an expensive Chinese place called Shanghai… something. Great views indeed (but to be honest, unless it’s a clear day, all you’ll see is the filthy air).

Twas a friend’s leaving thing. Not like we’d splurge everyday, but I def want to go back for my birthday! :smiley:
But for the eating part next time, only the salad and seafood buffet because the pasta was a bit too much and we had to be gauche and get doggy bags!
If you love shrimp, there’s nothing like a five star hotel buffet in Taipei.

In the lounge. Nice view of 101. Sort of parallel. We were there for about six hours, so the light changed a few times and the sky was clear as it was just before the typhoon. Really lovely looking at Taipei from up high. The last high place over a city for me was Prague’s ‘black baby needle’ and that was a completely different type of scenery! Duh… :?
It’s good to be high. :wink:

6 hours? That’s enough time for lunch AND dinnner, right? I thought most Taipei buffet restaurants set a time limit for their guests (e.g. about 2 hours)…

You really know how to get good value! :wink:

We were in the lounge, Babs! :wink:

6 hrs of all you can eat and drink for under NT$2000? (I’m assuming 10% added to the bill?)

Sounds like a damnably fine deal. When is your birthday?

That’s where we had our wedding banquet. Three of our guests got kicked out of the next-door Marco Polo lounge for being obstreperous. That was a pretty wild banquet! :smiling_imp:

[quote=“tmwc”]6 hrs of all you can eat and drink for under NT$2000? (I’m assuming 10% added to the bill?)

Sounds like a damnably fine deal. When is your birthday?[/quote]

The bill came to a little over 6 grand for four.
We stopped eating after about five helpings or so. :shock:
Looked like they switched to dinner buffet while we were sloshing back the champagne, and one of ours wanted to go in and get more prawns later, but didn’t have the nerve. Don’t think they would have let us eat more without charging for a second buffet, but they were more than happy to keep filling up the champagne glasses!

:smiley:

Ok, so this is an old thread but I was wondering if Marco Polo is still doing this promotion?
Or was it a limited time offer?

Bump.
So does anyone know if they’re still doing it?
I wanted to go today, but I’ll go next week if it’s still on.