Best way to explain this

Hi, wonder if you can break down this sentence and explain it in grammatical terms;

If I pick her up at the airport, then she won’t have to get a taxi, she will save lots of money.

If I…, then… I believe is future conditional (hope this is right :blush: ), but how do explain the final part after the comma?

Thanks,

Limey :smiley:

That’s just a comma seperating two phrases/sentences/whatever-you-call-it, wouldn’t “and” work better instead of a comma ?
“If I pick her up at the airport, then she won’t have to get a taxi and she will save lots of money”

[quote=“Limey”]Hi, wonder if you can break down this sentence and explain it in grammatical terms;

If I pick her up at the airport, then she won’t have to get a taxi, she will save lots of money.

If I…, then… I believe is future conditional (hope this is right :blush: ), but how do explain the final part after the comma?
[/quote]

It’s a comma splice, and therefore, non-standard (read: incorrect) English.

The last part should be its own sentence, have a semicolon, or have a conjunction like ‘and’ or ‘so’ before it to make it a dependent clause as you cannot have two independent clauses without a conjunction or a semicolon.

HTH,
ImaniOU

:notworthy: Thanks for your help. This was given to me by a student to try and explain… :noway: