Best way to find a teaching job in Taiwan

Hi,

I am an Irish person, and I am intending on going to Taiwan in June and would love to find a good English teaching job. I lived in Taiwan for a year already when I was studying so it should be pretty easy for me to settle in and sort out accommodation and whatnot so I should be able to start work almost straight away.

What is my best course of action before I go over? I like the idea of applying to someone like Hess or one of the other big schools because of the security they would give me. At the same time, I have read some bad things about them and most people seem to prefer finding a school once they go over. I am obviously hoping to earn a good amount of money and I am willing to work up to 40 hours a week (not sure how realistic this is).

Also, I am graduating with a BA in May, will this be enough or should I consider doing a TEFL course or something? If it helps, I also have a high level of Chinese, spoken and written and a degree in international business.

Thank you very much for your inputs as I am sure you are tired of people always asking the same things! :wink:

[quote=“jah718”]
Thank you very much for your inputs as I am sure you are tired of people always asking the same things! :wink:[/quote]

Well, you got that right!

Here are some links to get you started:

forumosa.com/
tealit.com/
google.com/

[quote=“greves”][quote=“jah718”]
Thank you very much for your inputs as I am sure you are tired of people always asking the same things! :wink:[/quote]

Well, you got that right!

Here are some links to get you started:

forumosa.com/
tealit.com/
google.com/[/quote]

Amazing that you took the time to post a completely worthless post…

[quote=“jah718”]Hi,

I am an Irish person, [/quote]

Practice faking an American accent, at least good enough to pass a telephone conversation.
Save up enough money so you don’t look desperate during the interviews.
Make sure you have a land line in Taiwan. Advertising a mobile phone number looks a little unstable.
Don’t put “I am an Irish person” into the first line of your resume.

It’s not a problem saying you are Irish, plenty of Irish teachers around. They do tend towards American pronunciation in Taiwan but you would learn that from teaching here.
You can apply to some big schools like Hess before coming, or you could make your way over here as most will only hire people in the flesh.