Best way to Get M Ed degree to teach in public school

Been here twenty years. Taught in and owned a small cram school. Now, I’d like to teach in local schools.
When I was looking into this years ago, Taiwan wouldn’t accepted any degree that contained on line courses, even from famous schools.
What’s the best way now? Summers in Guam? Crash at a friend’s or family members house and do a degree at a local US college? What would be the best degree? My life/family is here in Taiwan. Would being over 54 be a handicap in employment?

1 Like

On-line courses are accepted if a certain amount of time has been done abroad. I can’t remember how much.

Do all your semesters online and then switch to residency for your final semester. Your degree won’t be any different than any other in-class degree. I know this, because this is what I did.

So yes, such a plan will require you to spend your last 4 months of your course abroad at your uni.

Any Master of Education related degree is what you want. And no, it’s never too late imo.

Not to thread jack but might be relevant but isn’t it a possibility to leverage a different bachelor degree and get a temp teaching license in various US states that aren’t as strict and then use that to work public schools here vs having to go back and Do a complete education course all over again? I’ve heard this can work

some info

2 Likes

This needs to include a state teaching licence as well though, doesn’t it?

Not for me, it didn’t. :man_shrugging: But I teach at a private uni, not a public school.

If you have a BA/BS from a USA online school, you can send transcripts and get a substitute teaching license from the state of Illinois. The website is isbe.net (need VPN to access) pay some fees, and the MOE accepts this as your teaching credential. There are a LOT of MOE sponsored programs looking for English teachers in remote locations, but the pay is considerably less than what you would make at a cram school. $60K NTD ish.
I work for such a program because I couldn’t stand the cram schools and I am given a lot more opportunity, resources, etc to actually teach and not just entertain the students. The school principal and director fully support my ideas; that kind of thing. I know I could make a lot more at a cram school but…I don’t need to be a rich foreigner and I also don’t have a family that needs supporting so it works for me personally. We have an elderly lady that has been here for 3 or 4 years and has issues with anything technology related (ie uploading a file to Google Drive) but they keep her around because her teaching skills are great, even if she’s not the most “up to date” person. My program actually has a vacancy at a high school in buttfuck (Jinshan) which is a nice area but not exactly convenient.
Hope this helps, and if not well, I hope it can help someone else and sorry for the long reply.
Long days and pleasant nights!

4 Likes

What about a 30+ year old BA degree in psychology from a real state college.
I live too far from Big City to work at well paying cram schools and I think I’m too old to continue jumping around and crawling on the floor with the kids.
I need a position to let me stay close to home with my family and a decent enough salary not spectacular. The better half has the official Civil Service job.
I thought the only way to get into the classroom was to get a masters of education degree. Would a teaching certificate based on a BA from this program be enough to get into the Taiwanese classroom?
I’m still looking for specific programs to apply to. I also would really like to know how much online coursework is actually permissible and and the chances of the Ministry of Education finding out if I follow some of these suggestions that were posted earlier like doing the last 4 months on campus. Feel free to private message me with recommendations.

What about a 30+ year old BA degree in psychology from a real state college.

I don’t work for them so my best answer is to go to the website (https://www.isbe.net) via proxy or VPN and find out, they even have email so I’m sure you could ask. They may just ask you to mail them the 30 year old transcripts from said state college and they will make that decision, but again, I don’t know all the requirements.

I need a position to let me stay close to home with my family and a decent enough salary not spectacular. The better half has the official Civil Service job.

Google Taiwan MOE Foreign English teacher programs where “home and your family are” by county would be my best suggestion.

I thought the only way to get into the classroom was to get a masters of education degree. Would a teaching certificate based on a BA from this program be enough to get into the Taiwanese classroom?

MEd only way, big fat NO.
BA + state license certificate be enough, ABSOLUTELY, whether its substitute or content they don’t care, and content doesn’t need to be English, as long as your degree was conducted in English from an English speaking country.

I’m still looking for specific programs to apply to. I also would really like to know how much online coursework is actually permissible and and the chances of the Ministry of Education finding out if I follow some of these suggestions that were posted earlier like doing the last 4 months on campus.

No clue on specifics. But I’m sure you can find out, or maybe someone else here knows.

Feel free to private message me with recommendations.

classrooms in elementary to high schools, right? If so, you just need to make sure that there is no note on the substitute license saying something like you can teach just for 90 days at a school/district. If there is that kind of note, MOE may not accept the license.

And they care content if you teach at elementary to high schools. Regulations say

possess qualifications in or be qualified to teach the subject they will teach. The qualifications must indicate that they are permitted to teach the subject involved in the country that issued their qualifications.

There are some loopholes when they cannot find a qualified teacher, though.

You certainly don’t need a degree in Education. You do need a teaching certificate. This might come from an alternative license program or it might be as simple as applying for a substitute teaching license. The schools have recruiters that get paid to place teachers so there is an incentive to accept anyone that might meet the qualifications. Be forewarned though, going the public school teaching route might mean that you go where the job is. If you have roots somewhere already it might be hard to find a job near you. Also, you just missed the window for hiring public school teachers. In a month there won’t be many jobs left for you to choose from.

This does work as I did the same in 2003-2006. But I was a sub in CPS for two years. But having this certificate enabled me to work at a private school in Yong He.