Best way to transfer money from a US account to a Taiwanese account?

I’ve been using my American account to receive payments from my work and it’s conveniently expired around the holiday season. I’m having the new card mailed to me but it seems like it’s going to take a while. Are there any good ways to transfer money to my Taiwanese (國泰) visa debit card? I’ve tried alternatives years ago like PayPal and just wiring it directly. Both took way too long and were quite a hassle. I haven’t been following so I was wondering if there are any better ways to do it such as line pay, google pay…etc. I’ve also heard of MoneyGram, is that any good? How long does it take and what are the fees like? Thanks in advance.

There’s always the good old fashioned wire transfer, but you’ll likely need to follow up with Cathay to make sure it doesn’t get stuck in limbo. Probably the most cost-effective option. You could also try a cash advance on a credit card if you’re really in a pinch, but make sure to pay it off ASAP.

1 Like

Unfortunately I only have debit cards.

Yeah, I tried this years ago but it was quite a hassle. I’m not really too concerned about fees as this would be a one-time thing until my card arrives. Just wondering what is the quickest and most convenient way to do this.

I’d probably go with Western Union then. Worked well for me in the past.

1 Like

Can this be done online or does it require someone to go to an agent? It’s been so long since I’ve done this. Is there any online options? I just want to transfer money from my capital one account to my Taiwanese account in the easiest way possible.

Seeing online that it takes about a week to transfer. How long did it take you?

May not help you this time around, but if you have a Citibank account in the U.S. and one in Taiwan, you can transfer funds for free. Look up Citi Global Transfer.

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll keep it in mind but I haven’t really seen any citibank atms in Zhubei. Also I think there isn’t any branches where I’m from in the US. I looked into google pay but it seems it only works for sending money in the same country. Not sure if line pay works. I tried registering for it but I was denied because the app kept taking fuzzy pictures of my APRC.

Can do same thing with HSBC (which is pretty much the only reason I have an HSBC account) though probably less likely to have a branch where you’re from in US if there’s no Citibank around. Though nowadays, should be relatively simple to create an account online? I’ve done this for brokerage accounts but not a simple bank account.

Also, you don’t need an actual ATM to do the global transfer. It’s all done online. Actually, not sure if it’s even possible to do the global transfer via ATM

1 Like

I’d take a look here https://www.fxcompared.com/ to check out some other services (not my site). There’s been a ramp up in international money exchange companies over the last decade, they’re legit and can research where they come from/are based (many in UK oddly enough). Good luck!

1 Like

Did you do the pickup option or transferred directly to the bank? About how long does it take? I’m also thinking this is the best option after looking at reviews. According to their site, it says that in person pickup can be done instantly and transferring to the bank takes about two days but they also say it can vary depending on the country and regulations.

If picked up in person it’s instant I believe.

Just checked and this is the only option now. Could of swore I saw that they did it to the bank but it’s not available anymore. I saw a post on here about banks not offering western union pickup despite being listed as doing so.

Just checked and foreigners aren’t allowed to do this for some reason.
https://www.citibank.com.tw/sim/en/globalbanking/citizen.htm
From the site:

The service only applies to the people with Taiwan identity card and individual Citibanking account. Foreigners and the people with Citi company account can’t apply for Citibank Global transfer service.

You can transfer money in but not out. I do this every month between linked Citi accounts.

Ah I see. Wonder why it’s like that.

I looked into something called visa direct pay which supposedly allows you to send money instantly between visa cards. Anyone ever try that?

According to Taiwan banking regulations people who transfer money out of Taiwan are money laundering criminals. That’s why many international payment services do not work with Taiwan.

https://www.paypal.com/tw/webapps/mpp/system-enhancement-faq?locale.x=en_TW

How about transferring in?

If it’s not too large just go to ATM with your card. Even the German EC Card works with some ATMs.

I would if I had it.

Yup, my capital one card works at every single atm in Taiwan. Been using it without issues but like it says on my first post, I’m still waiting for it in the mail. It should have been here weeks ago, starting to think something happened to it.

Mail can be very slow in Taiwan.
My record was a letter that took like three weeks from Taipei to Nantou. That’s not usual though.