Better options than the iPhone?

IMHO the pen function is for people who don’t actually work.
They just scrawl across a photo taken at a conference, then send it to minions with the description ‘insight’…Or some such waffle and then they go back to drinking their beer.

So you carry your iPad everywhere you go day and night?

1 Like

Apparently, the U12+ is not a recommended phone. It seems, after two great flagships, HTC is in an off year again.

Given the state of HTC, I’m worried this is a sign for things to come.

Yeah, I’ll leave it in the car if I’m out for dinner or something. And I give people shit who pull out their phones while we are eating.

It’s the patricians choice tango.

1 Like

It’s still likely they’ll make another good phone, but that may not be enough. The last two good phones they made didn’t exactly light a fire with consumers–though they were well-received by tech journalists.

That’s always been the case, I said it before and I said it again. They are so infuriatingly bad at marketing.

1 Like

There is no better smartphone than the iPhone, on subject.

There are other smartphones out there with cool and better features, but at the end of the day the total package is lacking. HTC, Samsung, etc. They’re too hot and cold. One year they have an awesome phone, the next year they put out landfill fodder.

I’ve had all iPhones up to 5 when I jumped to Android for a try, now have the newest iPad a few days old. My first Samsung blew away the iPhone same generation. Still with Samsung S9 and iPad just kind of sits there.

TBF, the iPhone 5 was the last interesting one. After that they just became a commodity, one we want to just work well so we can get on with our lives. No new iPhones are remotely exciting anymore.

That’s pretty cool. I leave my car at home and just put my phone in my pocket.

2 Likes

I’m a man of leisure tango

1 Like

OMG that si so expnsive. No way I can justify the price of a flight ticket in my purse!

On Wednesday, Apple debuted three new iPhones – the 6.5-inch iPhone XS Max, the largest iPhone so far, which will be sold at a starting price of NT$39,900 (US$1,300), the 5.8-inch iPhone XS, which will start at NT$35.900, and the 6.1-inch iPhone XR, with a starting price of NT$26,900.

Pre-orders for the first two more expensive models with OLED screen will begin at 3:01 p.m. Friday, while pre-orders for the cheaper iPhone XR with LED screen will start at 3:01 p.m. Oct. 19, according to Apple (Taiwan).

Sales of the first two new models will start from Sept. 21, while those of the iPhone XR will be launched at a later date, the company said.

They have to grow their trillion USD market cap somehow. Increasing margins with each new release is the easy way.

If you are looking for a cheaper alternative, go for an older iPhone or opt for Android.

1 Like

I have never bought a phone that was more expensive than 5000 NTD. Never had an iPhone and at this rate never will. Heck not even my current computer is that expensive.

I think the price is part of the appeal. Like a sports car, something to show off. It cannot be that in order to have a reliable piece of machinery you must fork over a thousand USD.

3 Likes

People don’t really pay attention to the price if they want the phone mainly because the phone company subsidizes and finances through a contract hiding the true cost.

1 Like

Still people pay over 2000 monthly and when they sign the contract they fork over about 10k or so.

All I think about is what if the thing falls? Repairs cost an arm and a leg too.

I mean my fridge was 36k and is the most expensive item in this house. It has a guarantee and it is supposed to last at least 10 years. 10, not 2.

We are becoming too complacent with phones. My PHS had a battery that lasted a week. We should demand better quality, better batteries, better performance. This disposable nature wouldn’t be an issue if the item in question wasn’t so expensive. The basic functions are shared across the board and the differences are minimal. So aside from a brand name, what’s my motivation?

1 Like

7 Likes

Went for an Oppo R11s Plus. I like the big screen–Asus and Samsung couldn’t match up at this price point